300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How low do you remember?

We all know the rising price of gas today. What is the LOWEST price for a gallon that you remember? When I got my license in 1971, the price was around .30 per gallon. Stations would have "Gas Wars" and then the price would drop to .25 per gallon. Of course, I was only making $1.15 an hour then, so the price was about 1/4 of what I made per hour. Now the price is less than 1/8 of what I make an hour, so all in all, I'm ahead! WOOO-HOOO!
    Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

54 cents a gallon, Oakdale, CA in 1989, right before Exxon Valdez hit and it shot up to 75 cents a gallon
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

1964 - Los Angeles - $0.18 per gallon
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

At a independent station called Delta Gas stations in 1972 .18 cents a gallon the next year 1973 it jumped up to 45 cents a gallon then again in 1979 to 85 cents a gallon,But driving a 1975 Yellow Rabbit it was not a problem,That was in Dyersburg,Tn.Last night I filled up at Kroger Gas Station in Savannah,Tn a 2000 Town &Country Van it took $40.05 to fill up and it had a qtr tank, with Kroger card it was $2.96

Comment

When I was a child, I remember seeing 39 cents a gallon. Once I got my license, the lowest I remember was 89 cents.
          Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

gas prices

1970 chicago

regular 29.9 a gallon 94 octane
            premium 31.9 98 octane

www.schackdaddy.com
            " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
            " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

88 cents a gallon. As far as when I started driving.
              "I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

Second City Cop

Comment

NYC--mid 60's-- .15cents a gallon.

Comment

.80 or .90 cents- in the last three or 4 yrs it was .99

Comment

after h.s. , i had a gas station for a short while.....

58c to 61c for gas......
                    that was in chicago'...dist 8....by midway airport........

was not used to a white neighborhood, so the people of the polish
                    ghetto would buy their gas down the street and wait inline if the
                    gas was a penny cheaper.

could make a better buck in the hood.......
                    with all the safety precautions...in place....

www.schackdaddy.com
                    " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
                    " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

Originally posted by Medea
                      At a independent station called Delta Gas stations in 1972 .18 cents a gallon the next year 1973 it jumped up to 45 cents a gallon then again in 1979 to 85 cents a gallon,But driving a 1975 Yellow Rabbit it was not a problem,That was in Dyersburg,Tn.Last night I filled up at Kroger Gas Station in Savannah,Tn a 2000 Town &Country Van it took $40.05 to fill up and it had a qtr tank, with Kroger card it was $2.96
                      It makes one wonder, What the gas prices will be 25 years from Today.I will be 73 yrs old do I need to set back,this amount $$$$$$$$$ to pay for fuel!!!!!!

Comment

Interesting thread ..... recently I saw it in a story that when adjusted for inflation ... the price of a gallon of gasoline in 1950 was up near $3.00 a gallon in todays dollars. That was when the average family maybe had one good car ... and maybe an old pickup or second car ... but mostly the one car was used for daddy to go to work and for church on Sunday and the grocery store run. Those were big old cars with small six or eight cyl motors of low compression, some were flatheads, with inneficient carbs and ignitions, and 14-16 mpg was normal. A car with 100,000 miles was often considered worn out, motor jobs were normal, as were decokes (remove head, clean combustion deposits, do a valve job, etc ..) and points and plugs were an every ten thousand mile item at most.

I asked my mother if that estimate sounded correct, she said gas was a major expense then, and in 1951 when she and daddy met and married, he just got his second ever car, a '48 Chevrolet (His first was a '37 Chevrolet he got in 1948). By the time I came along they had a '51 and the first one I remember is a '54 BelAir, and he had a shop truck which was a '51 Sedan Delivery by then. A trip from west Texas back to see folks in Va. was a major expense and often they looked to make it when some one else was also headed this way, usually an Air Force buddy, and they would share expenses.
                        Adios amigos.

Comment

I dont uh what were we talking about? Oh yeah. I dont remember much of my younger days
                          No serious, I do remember when smokes were less than a dollar a pack. I was working at a deli back in about 1986 and the boss Mike{I even remember his last name} said next week cigs are going up to over a dollar a pack I said Oh forget it, no one will buy em then. HAHA I saw a sign today at the local beer place "Special, NEWPORT packs, $4.87 PLUS TAX"
                          THATS SPECIAL???
                          I got nothing for now

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2917 users online. 140 members and 2777 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X