300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L.e.a.p.?

I came across the LEAP website the other day.

Personally I am of the belief that drugs should be legalized. This doesn't stop me from doing my job or anything, just curious if any other LEOs on here are of the same opinion.
    You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Yeah. Unfortunately I don't see this happening in our lifetime. Because there is too much money involved in it. And some polititian's daughter needs that pony when she's sweet 16- but I'm not bitter.

Plus, after about 2 years the hardcore addicts will have all OD'd and died off and society would equalize itself. And my god... can you imagine out much the jails and prisons would empty out? It's like they wouldn't have a place to stay! lol

Comment

If drugs were legle it would get the country out of debt

Comment

I agree, but it's hard to convince a polititian, for some reason.

Comment

What kind of drugs are you guys referring to?
          "I only had a couple!"

Comment

My two year plan:

First six months; if we catch you with enough for a trafficking charge we shoot you.

Second six months; if we catch you with any we shoot you.

Second year; clean up any loose ends.

Crime down 65% or more, safer to walk the streets
            Kelly

We are the thin blue line
            between you
            and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Comment

I'm of the belief any and all drugs should be legalized. I the very least, I would think LEAP is for government control of all drugs, rather than just prohibition. However, I'm not a member of LEAP (yet) and won't pretend to know all of their policies.

Comment

I think if you say that drugs should be legalized then you also have to say prostitution and prescription drugs should be legal and available to all. I think that will just start us down a slippery slope.

Also, what about personal responsibility. Do you think that government should hold people accountable for their decisions? And what about the people who get high on drugs and then commit a crime like stealing or even murdering? If drugs were more readily available would crime not increase?

I've thought about this topic a little and these are just some questions that I've speculated on myself.

Comment

IMO if you think any and all drugs should be legalized, you're in the wrong profession IF you're an officer.
                  We don't need any more crooked cops.

Comment

Originally posted by savage4presiden
                    I think if you say that drugs should be legalized then you also have to say prostitution and prescription drugs should be legal and available to all. I think that will just start us down a slippery slope.
                    Legal doesn't mean uncontrolled. Just look at tobacco and alcohol now.

Also, what about personal responsibility. Do you think that government should hold people accountable for their decisions?
                    When their actions violates the right to life, liberty, or property of another, yes of course.

And what about the people who get high on drugs and then commit a crime like stealing or even murdering? If drugs were more readily available would crime not increase?
                    Why would it? People are already commiting these crimes to get drugs. Crime is crime.

I've thought about this topic a little and these are just some questions that I've speculated on myself.
                    I've thought about it, too. A great deal.

Originally posted by tk0727
                    IMO if you think any and all drugs should be legalized, you're in the wrong profession IF you're an officer.
                    That's ridiculous to the point of being insulting. In my state sodomy is also against the law. Does that mean every cop that get's a BJ from his wife is crooked also? Like I said, my political opinions don't effect my job performance. I get paid to do a job, and I do it.

Comment

Savage,

Nobody cried about a "slippery slope" towards heroin being legalized when prohibition of alcohol was lifted in 1933.

That's a terrible argument.

There are plenty of soldiers in Iraq who don't think they should be there but they do their jobs anyway.

My biggest problem with the legalizing all drugs lies in the fact that hard drug use isn't "victimless" crime like many people claim... Tell that to the children of 2 heroin addicts who neglect the kids because they're too busy getting high or trying to score their next hit.

On the other hand, I'm fine with legalizing or decriminalizing pot.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonie
                        My biggest problem with the legalizing all drugs lies in the fact that hard drug use isn't "victimless" crime like many people claim... Tell that to the children of 2 heroin addicts who neglect the kids because they're too busy getting high or trying to score their next hit.
                        My problem with these types of arguements is people always bring up another crime. The crime you cited above is child abandonment/neglect. If drugs were legal under the above circumstance, they would still be breaking the law.

Although many who believe in drug legalization disagree with me, I would support harsher sentences on just about any other crime if drugs were legalized. Especially making DUI-drugs and DUI alcohol over a certain percentage a felony. Lord knows we'd have plenty of space in our jails/prisons.

Comment

Without taking a side on the issue, how does an officer advocating the legalization of drugs equate to "crooked cop"?
                          Retired

Comment

The other example I could cite is that of LEO victims like Enrique "Kiki" Camarena.

Originally posted by Centurion44
                            My problem with these types of arguements is people always bring up another crime. The crime you cited above is child abandonment/neglect. If drugs were legal under the above circumstance, they would still be breaking the law.
                            I agree with what you say.

However, which is easier to prove as a means of improving kids' safety?

A) Hard drug use/possession

or

B) Abandonment/neglect

I'm not a cop or a lawyer, so I don't know the answer to this but my guess would be possession/use is easier to prove.

Comment

Well, an element to a crime is motive. When prosecuting for child abandonment in the above example, the parent's drug use/abuse could be used as evidence against them. The same applies under similar laws we have today such as DUI. Sure it would be easier to just charge them with speeding, or failure to maintain lane, but we charge for DUI because that's the law they broke. Drinking's not illegal, driving's not illegal. Doing both is.

Besides, the "it's easier to prosecute" arguement should never be the reason someone gets charged with a crime. Let the DA/Solicitor worry about what charges stick and which ones don't.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4157 users online. 243 members and 3914 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X