Too "PC" on "bullying?"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too "PC" on "bullying?"

Many of us are keenly aware of the issue of "bullying"- recently a young college student was convicted of acts that were considered bullying, that were attributed to the death of a fellow student. We've all heard heartbreaking stories of teen suicides, even people being murdered by "bullies".

but I'm also noticing something else, and again this is my opinion. It seems that the attempts to quash bullying in schools, in the community, and even on the job, has led to individuals who SHIELD their poor behavior, inadequate performance , and selfishness, or down right laziness by claiming they were being "bullied" or harrassed.

We've all grown up dealing with bullies- many of us have had people mistreat us in one form or another, and YET many of us have endured, even gotten STRONGER, and became BETTER people. Our laws and even constitutional rights protect us from the "bully" already. and people on both sides of the political spectrum, liberal and conservative, believe in the idea of people standing up for their rights and themselves.

but in preaching "PC", are we taking away from our young people the notions of preserverance? Are we catering to the selfish, coddled Generation "why?"( as in "why" do I have too? "why" are you asking me? "why" isn't it being given to me?)

Are we spoiling people by taking away the reality of life- that it is hard and cruel sometimes. "Ralph Waldo Emerson said "we acquire strength when we overcome". In our dash to protect the weak, are we making people accept weakness as the way to be?...
    "yes!" People must learn to stand up for themselves..
    39.13%
    "no" bullying has got to curbed at all costs in society
    13.04%
    "no" people must be taught to accept others no matter what
    4.35%
    "yes"- we are creating a lazy ,cowardly society
    43.48%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by DOAcop38; 04-06-2012, 11:12 PM.
    "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

If more people grew a pair and adopted the old school philosophy of "sticks and stones", life would be better all around. Many folks need to take control of their own lives and not allow the spoken word of others affect them.
    Getting shot hurts. Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you. My personal thoughts is to avoid being shot by any caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by HI629 View Post
      If more people grew a pair and adopted the old school philosophy of "sticks and stones", life would be better all around. Many folks need to take control of their own lives and not allow the spoken word of others affect them.
      Nonesense. Bullies do more than just hurt others with words. They torment and torture weaker people largely because of their own insecurities. Under no circumstances should this be tolerated and the strong need to stand up for those who are weaker, at least in the physical sense.

Think about the job of LE when you protect women, children and the elderly from scum gangbangers. What would it be like if they couldn't walk down their own streets or go out side their homes because they live in fear every day? It's no different than with bullies. There only goal is to terrorize the weak. We are told we live in a free country, yet nobody can be free under those circumstances.

Now, I was always taught that if you stood up to a bully he would back down and move on to the next kid. I tried it and when the punk missed a week of school with a broken nose, other kids were on notice not to eff with me. Unfortunately, not all kids will take that advice. But no matter what, everyone deserves to be able to walk to school or wherever without worrying if some punk is going to make their lives a living hell.

My proposol is that we cut the nuts off of first time offenders but I know that won't go over well in a civilized society. I am open to lesser forms of punishment. however.

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Comment

It's a mixed bag. I always cringe when something bad happens and a bunch of outraged people then all say, "There ought to be a law to prevent this from ever happening again!" Because of this, emotionally charged, common sense deprived, constitutionally questionable laws are made that over-punish even slight infractions.

That said, when one is an adult, "sticks and stones" reigns true and we really don't give a crap what random idiots say. However the majority of kids just don't have the maturity to NOT be hurt by that jerk who's opinion should mean absolutely dick. We can impound it into our kids' heads over and over and they just won't get it. It's just the way things are. I see teenagers in their natural state every day when I'm subbing and they're dumb as a bag of hammers, ever last one of them. I was at that age once, and all of you were too (and some of you still are ). It's just part of growing. They're clueless, hormonal, short-sighted, and many are brutal and vicious. It's just a stage of human development. As a result, they react badly to any barbs thrown their way. If someone insults an adult, we say, "Screw you." If they turn a bunch of people, including people who were supposedly friends, against us, we say, "Screw the whole backstabbing lot of you. Hate me all you want, because I'll just find some non-Adam Henry friends." If the same thing happens to a 16 year old, in their mind, they're a loser, they'll never recover their reputation, they'll never get any friends, and their life is over. To make matters worse, they can't even escape online anymore and kids also make harassing calls. The parents of these bullies think that their kids are angels so nothing is done. The bullied kid feels trapped, so they either kill themselves or shoot up their schools.

Therefore, I think that giving school and community authorities the tools to combat bullying IS a good idea, because telling a bullied kid, "Quit bitching and grow a pair," just doesn't cut it with most kids. On the other hand, kids facings PHYSICAL bullying should not be afraid to use reasonable force to defend themselves. Expelling kids because they threw a block at a kid who was punching them only creates a culture of victims and gives bullies assurance that there will be a lot of hesitation to resisting their aggression.
        Last edited by GangGreen712; 04-09-2012, 03:47 PM. Reason: typo
        "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
        -Chris Rock

Comment

Problem with bullying is often it is with a stronger person against a weaker person so fighting back may be a suicidal option. When a bully starts pushing people down stairs, tripping people, stealing, they turn from bullies into criminals especially if injury such as broken limbs start appearing and as for "stick and stones" that may work only if the bullying is nothing but verbal.

On the other hand, kids facings PHYSICAL bullying should not be afraid to use reasonable force to defend themselves. Expelling kids because they threw a block at a kid who was punching them only creates a culture of victims and gives bullies assurance that there will be a lot of hesitation to resisting their aggression.
          Exactly, and the few victims who may be able to physically defend themselves don't due to fear of reprisal from the school.
          Life is what you make of it

Comment

In posting, I was definitely NOt saying that people should "go it alone"- indeed I do believe tha people should be able to expose the bully- i feel bullying is simply cowardice . what I am concerned about is that in rooting out the "bully", we may allow others to make excuses for their own failings. I see apathy in many young people these days- they DON'T like challenge or to be challenged, and I fear they will equate any challenge as "harassing" or bullying
            "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

I'd say it's both. For one, if you're able to fight back, do so. If you're gonna let some worm bully you into something, you lack cajones. At the same time though, sometimes those bullied are unable to fight back. I definitely don't want a plethora of more laws added to our books. What ever happened to "I'll meet you at the flagpole"?
              "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
              I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

The truth lies somewhere in between your choices. Bullying should be curbed; extreme examples should be curbed with zeal. We do not necessarily need to adopt more laws or negative traits to accomplish it.

Comment

i feel bullying is simply cowardice
                  Exactly, bullys pick on people who they think are not capable or will not defend themselves. The true definition of a coward.
                  Life is what you make of it

Comment

My son would get kudos for protecting a weaker person. He certainly would get no beef from me for dropping a POS bully.

Comment

The problem with this and hate crime type laws is that it's purely discretionary. We are surrendering far too much power to the state in the interest of security. A substantial penalty for assault is all that's needed but too many people want government to be their mommy.

Comment

Originally posted by JasperST View Post
                        The problem with this and hate crime type laws is that it's purely discretionary. We are surrendering far too much power to the state in the interest of security. A substantial penalty for assault is all that's needed but too many people want government to be their mommy.
                        So if I assault someone because I do not want him to testify against me, shouldn't that only be prosecuted as an assault?

Comment

Originally posted by Ex Army MP View Post
                          So if I assault someone because I do not want him to testify against me, shouldn't that only be prosecuted as an assault?
                          How is that remotely the same? Isn't that obstruction of justice?

Comment

Originally posted by JasperST View Post
                            How is that remotely the same? Isn't that obstruction of justice?
                            Witness tampering. In any event, the comparison is that the impact on the victim physically is the same. A punch in the face hurts in both instances.

What I am suggesting is that the law can and often does make laws where there exists a compelling interest to prevent a greater harm beyond the there and then act.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex Army MP View Post
                              Witness tampering. In any event, the comparison is that the impact on the victim physically is the same. A punch in the face hurts in both instances.

What I am suggesting is that the law can and often does make laws where there exists a compelling interest to prevent a greater harm beyond the there and then act.
                              That argument could be used to justify anything. Many people have died for the greater good. Tampering with justice isn't the same as not hurting someone's feelings. A punch is a punch and should be treated like a punch, not a blow to humanity.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6758 users online. 276 members and 6482 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X