Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Sad Comment on American Parenting and Education

70% of Science Award Finalists Are Children of Immigrants

Immigration is a boon to American science and math, a new report asserts, noting that 70 percent of the finalists in a recent prestigious science competition are the children of immigrants.

The report by the National Foundation for American Policy, a nonprofit research group in Arlington, Va., states that many immigrant parents emphasize hard science and math education for their children, viewing those fields as paths to success.

Statistics supporting that belief: According to a recent Georgetown University study on the value of undergraduate majors, the lifetime median annual income for someone with a bachelor's degree in engineering is $75,000, compared with $29,000 for a counseling or psychology major. [Infographic: Highest-paying College Majors]

That study found that the highest earners are petroleum engineers, with median annual earnings of $120,000.

Only 12 percent of Americans are foreign-born, the NFAP report says. Even so, children of immigrants took 70 percent of the finalist slots in the 2011 Intel Science Talent Search Competition, an original-research competition for high school seniors.

Of the 40 finalists, 28 had parents born in other countries: 16 from China, 10 from India, one from South Korea and one from Iran.

"In proportion to their presence in the U.S. population, one would expect only one child of an Indian (or Chinese) immigrant parent every two and a half years to be an Intel Science Search finalist, not 10 in a year," wrote the report's author, NFAP director Stuart Anderson.

Finalists interviewed for the report attributed their interest in research to their parents' attitudes.

"Our parents brought us up with love of science as a value," David Kenneth Tang-Quan, whose parents emigrated from China to California, told Anderson, according to the report.

Still, children of immigrants face barriers outside of the education system. According to the Georgetown report, racial disparities in pay persist even within science fields. Whites with an undergraduate major in engineering out-earn Asians with the same degree by about $8,000 a year. African-American and Hispanic engineering graduates fare worse, making about $60,000 and $56,000 per year, respectively, compared with whites' $80,000.

Asians out-earn whites in the fields of health, law and public policy; psychology and social work; and biology and life sciences.

The fact that children of immigrants excel in science and math should be taken into account when making immigration policy, Anderson wrote: "The results should serve as a warning against new restrictions on legal immigration, both family and employment-based immigration, since such restrictions are likely to prevent many of the next generation of outstanding scientists and researcher from emerging in America."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/...ZzY2llbmNlYQ--
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

What kind of immigrant's? Legally here or leaches on the system here?
    Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Comment

I would say that these are legal immigrants, many of whom have educated parents.

That they have the same educational opportunities as students of U.S.-born parents but do so much better suggests that our students and parents are not trying very hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffaloboy View Post
        What kind of immigrant's? Legally here or leaches on the system here?
        Illegal immigrants aren't the only leaches on "the system." Don't get me started on the one's I visit on a daily basis with their flat screens, SUV's with 20" wheels, and living in Govt housing.
        Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
          I would say that these are legal immigrants, many of whom have educated parents.

That they have the same educational opportunities as students of U.S.-born parents but do so much better suggests that our students and parents are not trying very hard.
          Not just the ones who have educated parents, but also the parents who want their kids to do better then them, they don't want their kids cleaning toilets at Taco Bell; at least not when they have an opportunity to do better...
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by towncop View Post
            Illegal immigrants aren't the only leaches on "the system." Don't get me started on the one's I visit on a daily basis with their flat screens, SUV's with 20" wheels, and living in Govt housing.

Oh i know what you mean...I was just wondering if it was another "facts are askew" kind of article.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffaloboy View Post
              Oh i know what you mean...I was just wondering if it was another "facts are askew" kind of article.
              In California, the Asian students who go to the same schools as the black and latino students far outperform them. Sociologists have concluded that the reason is parental and peer pressure.

Comment

In California, the Asian students who go to the same schools as the black and latino students far outperform them. Sociologists have concluded that the reason is parental and peer pressure.
                I could say about ten paragraphs about this, it will get ugly...Prob. doesn't matter anyways, someone will and this thread will get locked/deleted.

Comment

Although those parents go too far, I think it is pretty obvious that more American parents need to move in that direction. We can't survive as a nation with so much of the population unskilled and living off welfare.

Comment

Although those parents go too far, I think it is pretty obvious that more American parents need to move in that direction. We can't survive as a nation with so much of the population unskilled and living off welfare.

Cut the cord.

Comment

Stop being the kids friend and wanting to fight the teacher, b/c the teacher "failed" their kid, would alsio be a good first step too...
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southflaguy View Post
                        Stop being the kids friend and wanting to fight the teacher, b/c the teacher "failed" their kid, would alsio be a good first step too...
                        Sometimes the teachers do fail the kids, back in HS I had a math teach who didn't us a damn thing and I had to make up for it by getting tutored by another math teacher.

"Why Chinese Mothers are Superior: Can a regimen of no playdates, no TV, no computer games and hours of music practice create happy kids? And what happens when they fight back?"
                        My dad was kinda like that when he pressured me into engineering but thankfully my stubbornness and disdain for a desk job prevailed. With that regime you might create a successful kid but will he grow up to be happy and thankful of the parent?
                        Last edited by MD11pilot; 05-29-2011, 10:18 PM. Reason: fix a typo
                        Life is what you make of it

Comment

I read a while back a magazine for the Inland Empire that listed the top 100 doctors in all medical fields. Over 80% of the listed doctors were foreign, China, Korea, India, Middle East...Etc.. Three of them were my families doctors and they are without a doubt the tops in their respective fields of medicine...
                          Retired LASD

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by phillydog07 View Post
                              LMAO!

That is so true!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6136 users online. 339 members and 5797 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X