Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Congress To Vote On Declaration Of World War— An War With No Borders, No Clear Enemy

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congress To Vote On Declaration Of World War— An War With No Borders, No Clear Enemy

House Dems protest GOP’s plans for permanent war against terror

Nearly three dozen House Democrats are calling on Republicans to withdraw a section of the 2012 defense authorization bill that they say would effectively declare a state of permanent war against unnamed Taliban and al Qaeda operatives.

A Tuesday letter from House Judiciary Committee Chairman John Conyers Jr. (D-Mich.) and 32 other Democrats argues that affirming continued war against terrorist forces goes too far, giving too much authority to the president without debate in Congress.

Their letter cites language in the authorization bill that incorporates the Detainee Security Act, which affirms continued armed conflict against terrorists overseas.

“By declaring a global war against nameless individuals, organizations and nations ‘associated’ with the Taliban and al Qaeda, as well as those playing a supporting role in their efforts, the Detainee Security Act would appear to grant the president near unfettered authority to initiate military action around the world without further congressional approval,” Democrats wrote. “Such authority must not be ceded to the president without careful deliberation from Congress.”

The specific language in the bill is found in section 1034 of H.R. 1540, which affirms that the U.S. is “engaged in an armed conflict with al Qaeda, the Taliban and associated forces.” It also affirms that the president has the authority to detain “certain belligerents” until the armed conflict is over.

“Al Qaeda, the Taliban and associated forces still pose a grave threat to U.S. national security,” the bill says. “The Authorization for Use of Military Force necessarily includes the authority to address the continuing and evolving threat posed by these groups.”
    http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-actio...liban-al-qaeda

The title is slanted, but overall yeah. 2012 here we come! GOP president, unilateral power to declare war.

Remember, WWII brought us out of the depression. So this is just really a fiscal policy update.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Originally posted by jcioccke
    After I hit it, I would be disgusted with her

Silly GOP! They know not what they do. It's never a good idea to eliminate or streamline the checks and balances that are supposed to be built into place.

IMO this is a bad idea.
    "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

Originally posted by FNA209 View Post
      Silly GOP! They know not what they do. It's never a good idea to eliminate or streamline the checks and balances that are supposed to be built into place.

IMO this is a bad idea.
      With the pending end of the world in 2012 coming I do not believe that we have time to wait on congress to go all in.

Comment

Originally posted by 10-7Alpha View Post
        With the pending end of the world in 2012 coming I do not believe that we have time to wait on congress to go all in.
        If the world ends in 2012, and I'm wondering what you are referring to as the catalyst for that ending, then we don't have to worry about it because we all die. If it's a mere economical collapse or something mundane like that, a bunch of us will survive. Are you one of them?
        "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

Originally posted by FNA209 View Post
          If the world ends in 2012, and I'm wondering what you are referring to as the catalyst for that ending, then we don't have to worry about it because we all die. If it's a mere economical collapse or something mundane like that, a bunch of us will survive. Are you one of them?
          It was sarcasm.

Comment

Originally posted by 10-7Alpha View Post
            It was sarcasm.
            I knew that!

I was hoping you had some insight...

It'd be nice to know what to have on hand...

Comment

I don't believe the world or us as a people will end 2012 or any time after.
              How ever 2012 could be the time or the beginning of the Tribulation. Which time 7 years will be marked. If this is so are there those that will be able to survive?
              Let's face it for those of us that study the word of God and more so the end time prophecies, Mans way that we are in right now will not last forever. How scary of a time for those with out understand. What a exciting time for those with.

Not saying or trying to imply I understand or know anything, I am how ever smart enough to get a grasp of who the 10 kingdoms are and they are well established. Well there are 12 for now.
              Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4222 users online. 231 members and 3991 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X