300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -A- View Post
    For the military guys... If a flag is burned at say at a (or near a) military instalation or even DC, couldn't that be seen as an act of treason?
    Exactly HOW is this 'an act of treason'?
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
      I don't have much use for flag burners and could care less about their "free speech" because I don't want to hear what they have to say. Having said that, I'm also not 100% by the book when it comes to flying my flag. There's a good article on the flag in the current issue of American Handgunner, that sums it up pretty well.

http://fmgpublications.ipaperus.com/...gunner/AHJA11/

Its on page 105.
      Great article, loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
        I don't have much use for flag burners and could care less about their "free speech" because I don't want to hear what they have to say. Having said that, I'm also not 100% by the book when it comes to flying my flag. There's a good article on the flag in the current issue of American Handgunner, that sums it up pretty well.

http://fmgpublications.ipaperus.com/...gunner/AHJA11/

Its on page 105.
        I kind of agree with most of that, but I still have the proper protocol deeply ingrained and try my best to treat the flag as honorably as I can. It means a lot to me. On the day of my grandfather's death, I fly his flag used on his casket. On the day, my uncle died, I use his; on the day my father died, I use his. I have a replica of the flag as it was in 1864 (35 stars) and fly that on the day of my great-great grandfather death.

I find a certain sense of connection with the past doing that. Those flags are treated with the most respect I can give them. I try to treat every flag I handle the same way.

I both sign and wince every time I have an email at the beginning of shift that says we have to lower the flags at sunrise for another fallen soldier. I sign because it's a duty I must do. I wince for two reasons. One is because of the thought of the fallen. The other is very self-centered. It means I have to do something that is uncomfortable and also something that is "inconvenient". After all, it may be raining or cold and storming, but we are directed to perform this task. Yet, I drag myself and another officer to those flag poles when it is required. We also do it the right way. First we lower the institutional flag. Then we march past the US Flag pole and lower the State Flag flag. Then we go back to the middle and lower the US Flag.

After that, I call him to attention and order a hand salute which we both do. Some of my officers question the ritual, but I feel it's the proper way. Anytime I'm at work, we do that. I don't know what is done when I'm not there and the message is followed.
        "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

Actions have consequences. If a small group of KKK idiots go walking into downtown Atlanta and begin exercising their 1st Amendment rights by screaming certain racial epithets at the top of their lungs, I don't think that would end well. Do they have the right? Sure. Do they deserve an epic beatdown? No. I still don't like their odds.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoosier_Boy View Post
            If someone I worked with pulled such an ignorant stunt as to burn the American flag that most of my co-workers risked their life to defend...

I would kick them in the nuts... If the people I work with didn't get there first.
            LMAO.. and I'll laughing..
            "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

Originally posted by FNA209 View Post
              I kind of agree with most of that, but I still have the proper protocol deeply ingrained and try my best to treat the flag as honorably as I can. It means a lot to me. On the day of my grandfather's death, I fly his flag used on his casket. On the day, my uncle died, I use his; on the day my father died, I use his. I have a replica of the flag as it was in 1864 (35 stars) and fly that on the day of my great-great grandfather death.

I find a certain sense of connection with the past doing that. Those flags are treated with the most respect I can give them. I try to treat every flag I handle the same way.

I both sigh and wince every time I have an email at the beginning of shift that says we have to lower the flags at sunrise for another fallen soldier. I sigh because it's a duty I must do. I wince for two reasons. One is because of the thought of the fallen. The other is very self-centered. It means I have to do something that is uncomfortable and also something that is "inconvenient". After all, it may be raining or cold and storming, but we are directed to perform this task. Yet, I drag myself and another officer to those flag poles when it is required. We also do it the right way. First we lower the institutional flag. Then we march past the US Flag pole and lower the State Flag flag. Then we go back to the middle and lower the US Flag.

After that, I call him to attention and order a hand salute which we both do. Some of my officers question the ritual, but I feel it's the proper way. Anytime I'm at work, we do that. I don't know what is done when I'm not there and the message is followed.
              The maintenance guy does it.
              Last edited by OneAdam12; 06-06-2011, 11:46 AM.
              Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

Originally posted by OneAdam12 View Post
                The maintenance guy does it.
                Nope, the cops always do it. I'm curious as to what some of them do when it's required though. I'm guessing it's not done the right way. That's sad.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4177 users online. 255 members and 3922 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X