300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M1garand View Post
    There are limitations already put in place to your constitutional rights.

Can you walk into elementary school with a shirt that has print of naked man/woman?
    Can you say anything in threatening manner to your politicians and not be arrested?
    Can you walk around with your loaded gun anywhere and everywhere (if you are not HR218 eligible, especially)?
    Can you finger your own butt while you are at your local park and claim that that is how you want to express yourself?

Constitution does not offer exclusively nor absolute freedom, but rather comes with limitations.
    Thanks for the lesson in the constitution, but I was already aware of that. You appear to confuse my comments with someone who agrees with, condones, or is in sympathy with someone who burs the flag. I have repeatedly said I find it offensive, distasteful, abrasive, and wrong. However, unlike some on here, I will continue to support the constitution and the case laws that come from the SCOTUS.

Okay?
    Retired

Comment

Originally posted by FJDave View Post
      Yup, state law protects people from assault. I was merely quoting my favorite lyrics out from a favorite singer.

Also, Calif state law has a section for unlawful fires (no coffee yet...too lazy to look it up)....seems we have a small issue with forest fires here, so fires are regulated. Burning a flag would net at least one stat for me for the day (cite or arrest).

If nothing else, the more they try to light MY flag on fire, the more water I'd spill on it. Weird...water seems to put out fires.
      Dave,

He was required to obtain a fire permit before he burned the flag. He had not obtained the permit, plus he didn't have an opportunity to set it afire. Personally, I'm happy he wasn't able to set it afire.
      Retired

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
        Go ahead and express yourself. Just don't be surprised when there is consequences for your expression. Me shoving that burning flag down your throat is me expressing myself. I'm fully aware that I'll probably get arrested and charged for my expression. If you really believe in what you're expressing, you should be willing to take what's coming to you.
        Here Here!!

World_So_Cold

Comment

Originally posted by eyesopen View Post
          Thanks for explaining it. Its much clearer now: Someone is free to express to express themselves around you, an LEO, if they are willing to risk having you assault them. I'm truly glad I don't see most officers making statements like that - its not exactly what I consider a positive message.
          Oh, no..it won't be just LEO's assaulting you! I am an ordinary citizen and I would have no problem helping him (not that he would need it) shove that burning flag down your throat!

World_So_Cold

Comment

Originally posted by retired View Post
            Dave,

He was required to obtain a fire permit before he burned the flag. He had not obtained the permit, plus he didn't have an opportunity to set it afire. Personally, I'm happy he wasn't able to set it afire.
            ..and this is what gets me...WHY THE HELL do we allow someone to obtain a permit to burn the flag? Express yourself another way.

World_So_Cold

Comment

Thanks for explaining it. Its much clearer now: Someone is free to express to express themselves around you, an LEO, if they are willing to risk having you assault them. I'm truly glad I don't see most officers making statements like that - its not exactly what I consider a positive message.
              Wow, really?? How the hell did you make that leap?

First off, if I'm working, I'll stand there, swallowing my pride, while you disrespect the symbol of everything that gives you the right to do it. I'll even protect you from private citizens who would want to do you harm.

However, if I'm standing there as a private citizen, one who has served on foreign battlefields and lost close friends in the pursuit of those freedoms, I am not as likely to be so restrained. You have every right to express yourself but don't delude yourself into believing that exercising your rights is without consequence. That's the point I'm making.

Lastly, I'm not here to give you a positive message. I'm not here to kiss your boo-boo's and tell you its going to be ok. I'm not here to make the world play fair or sing kum-ba-ya with you. I'm here to do violence on your behalf and stand in the gap so that you can go on "expressing" yourself without having to pay any of the cost.
              \

Comment

First off, if I'm working, I'll stand there, swallowing my pride, while you disrespect the symbol of everything that gives you the right to do it. I'll even protect you from private citizens who would want to do you harm.

However, if I'm standing there as a private citizen, one who has served on foreign battlefields and lost close friends in the pursuit of those freedoms, I am not as likely to be so restrained. You have every right to express yourself but don't delude yourself into believing that exercising your rights is without consequence. That's the point I'm making.

Lastly, I'm not here to give you a positive message. I'm not here to kiss your boo-boo's and tell you its going to be ok. I'm not here to make the world play fair or sing kum-ba-ya with you. I'm here to do violence on your behalf and stand in the gap so that you can go on "expressing" yourself without having to pay any of the cost.
                In all fairness you made no distinction between on duty or off in your previous posts.

I never said I'd disrespect the flag. I cannot cast aside my love for my country, the principles of the Constitution and desecrate a flag.

It won't bring comfort to my wife knowing someone was there to "protect me" after I'm dead if I don't put a bullet in the criminal first. That old saying about when seconds count comes to mind.

I've never deluded myself that exercising rights is without consequence. I fully understand there are always those will resort to assault to suppress freedom of speech. I'm sure James Earl Ray believed in his own mind he had a good reason for putting a bullet in MLK - an extreme example, yes, but it serves to illustrate a point.

I'll move on, simply agreeing to disagree on this issue.
                Last edited by eyesopen; 05-17-2011, 06:53 PM.
                The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I know I missed this discussion from working late but I"ll add something to this. The Baton Rouge area and LSU in particularly has a very heavy veteran population more so than many other places in the country. You will find it quite difficult to meet some one that does not have any ties whether by family or friend who was or is involved with the military. Sadly for many locals the American flag is a symbol seen on the coffins of friends and loved ones. Whether we agree that flag burning is a right or a foul display, there is a time and place for everything. Burning the flag at a school that is celebrating a tremendous victory over terrorism with the demise of Bin Laden is neither the time nor the place.

Comment

I hate butt holes like this who abuse their God given right to freedom of speech by burning the U.S. flag.

That being said, He has the right to do so.

In fact, burning the flag is a proper method of disposing of one. It is just the manner in which he does it is disturbing to me.

Protesters at the burning were wearing clothes made to resemble the flag. A flag etiquette violation.
                    Some protesters allowed their flags to touch the ground, another violation.
                    I'm sure afterward some flags were trashed or incorrectly stored.

According to the Flag Code, a flag is a flag or anything "by which the average person seeing the same without deliberation may believe the same to represent the flag."

The United States Post office is guilty of desecrating a flag.

Section 8e. of the Flag Code reads, "The flag should never be ... used ... in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way." Section 8g. reads, "The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark ... of any nature." 8i. reads, "[The flag] should not be printed or otherwise impressed on ... anything that is designed for temporary use and discard."

Everybody has probably desecrated the American flag at one time or another.

Of course we have a burn ban going on right now so he would probably have been arrested.
                    Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

Originally posted by KJB View Post
                      I have no problem with people burning our flag, provided they wrap themselves in it first.
                      Beat me to it!!!

Comment

I know what ya mean, SRT. I think there are a lot of things we can do within legal bounds as part of "those consequences" you talk about, but to be honest, if someone were to burn a flag in front of me without my having time to process it, I'm not sure how I'd react actually. During one of my times in Iraq, I worked on the top floor of a building called Freedom Towers right next to the MSH unit. I even had this huge area outside my window... some of us would routinely climb out with some chairs and smoke cigars (since General Order #1 didn't allow drinking) while looking at the Iraqi skyline at sunset (which was beautiful) but the other 60% of the time I would watch the Medical Blackhawks fly in and offload the wounded behind the hospital. The emotion is just as raw whenever I think about it and I can't say I wouldn't punch the a****** in the face. I would never plan to do it but can't say what I'd do if caught by surprise.

Can you imagine someone burning the flag in NY City the day after 9/11? Or in NYC during WWII? Yep, people have the LEGAL right, however.....

Comment

Originally posted by EmmaPeel View Post
                          Can you imagine someone burning the flag in NY City the day after 9/11? Or in NYC during WWII? Yep, people have the LEGAL right, however.....
                          Very true but on the other side of the coin there were a lot of things done during the WWII era which we would undeniably consider unconstitutional now. Interning the majority of Japanese American citizens while not interning many German American citizens (perhaps because "they look like us"), for example. The suppression of civil rights of black people nationwide but primarily in the south. Segregated military.

Does not the Patriot Guard handle a-holes showing even more disrespect than flag burning in one of the classiest ways there is? And that group is primarily made up of vets. God bless them.
                          The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Very true but on the other side of the coin there were a lot of things done during the WWII era which we would undeniably consider unconstitutional now. Interning the majority of Japanese American citizens while not interning many German American citizens (perhaps because "they look like us"), for example. The suppression of civil rights of black people nationwide but primarily in the south. Segregated military.

Does not the Patriot Guard handle a-holes showing even more disrespect than flag burning in one of the classiest ways there is? And that group is primarily made up of vets. God bless them.
                            Even then women were employed as infantry and more famously as snipers by the Soviets while here they served more under auxiliary or medical roles. But I do enjoy seeing someone getting heckled for even considering burning the flag.
                            Last edited by MD11pilot; 05-19-2011, 06:24 PM. Reason: minor grammar
                            Life is what you make of it

Comment

I don't have much use for flag burners and could care less about their "free speech" because I don't want to hear what they have to say. Having said that, I'm also not 100% by the book when it comes to flying my flag. There's a good article on the flag in the current issue of American Handgunner, that sums it up pretty well.

http://fmgpublications.ipaperus.com/...gunner/AHJA11/

Its on page 105.
                              I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

For the military guys... If a flag is burned at say at a (or near a) military instalation or even DC, couldn't that be seen as an act of treason?
                                Semper Paratus/Always Ready
                                Originally posted by jakflak
                                The bottom line: always be nice to the magic voice. All hail the magic voice!!
                                Originally posted by Michigan
                                I have a 1 year old daughter and at this rate I'm almost certain I'm going to end up in prison by the time she's 15 years old. I swear, the first guy that that comes knocking on my door holding onto a naked photo of my daughter.....

Don't bother telling me, "oh it's her fault too".... I know, I have double standards. Deal with it.

: )

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5429 users online. 316 members and 5113 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X