Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just a friendly reminder but burning the US flag is not advisable at LSU

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by retired View Post
    You really think that a beating is justified for exercising a 1st amendment right?
    The exercising of a Constitutional right does not absolve one of the consequences of said act.

    If you're burning a flag at a hippy love-fest, then the possible consequences are minimal. Burn a flag amongst of group of fiercely patriotic veterans, and a beat down is the least of your worries.

    And yes, if you burn a flag around me, you deserve a beat down.
    \

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by retired View Post
      I don't support treason either, nor do I condone burning the American flag. But I hardly think the action of the attempted flag burner amounts to treason since the SCOTUS ruled it was permissible to burn the flag as an expression of free speech.
      I'm not questioning you, but rather people who'd burn our flag. That flag represents my country and everything that our nation represents. That flag means A LOT to me and to many people. So if the rights of those who wants to burn our flag preserve, then rights of those who wants to prevent it from happening also should be respected as well.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by retired View Post
        I personally find burning the flag offensive, but it is a constitutional right.
        As many times as I've read it, I can't find that one in the Bill of Rights.

        Once again, the Supreme Court was wrong. Way wrong. And as has been said, flag burning deserves a good *** kickin........
        The All New
        2013
        BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
        Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
        - M1Garand

        (any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)



        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by retired View Post
          I don't support treason either, nor do I condone burning the American flag. But I hardly think the action of the attempted flag burner amounts to treason since the SCOTUS ruled it was permissible to burn the flag as an expression of free speech.
          You are wasting your time.
          ...hunter of the shadows is rising...

          Comment


          • #20
            I find flag burning despicable, but support the right to burn it.

            What I find worse is that universities, once America's biggest proponents of freedom of expression, are now often the places where faculty and the students participate in that suppression. That includes both liberal and conservative student bodies and faculties.

            I don't see anything in the Constitution about a right to prevent others from expressing themselves.
            The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground." - Thomas Jefferson

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by eyesopen View Post
              I don't see anything in the Constitution about a right to prevent others from expressing themselves.
              I didn't realize the Constitution forbid individuals from censoring each other...
              \

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
                I didn't realize the Constitution forbid individuals from censoring each other...
                +1
                Oh how some are so one sided on the issue.

                Seeing the response in the first video..... "for the first time in my adult lifetime, I'm really proud of my country."
                Last edited by westside popo; 05-16-2011, 11:04 PM.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
                  As many times as I've read it, I can't find that one in the Bill of Rights.

                  Once again, the Supreme Court was wrong. Way wrong. And as has been said, flag burning deserves a good *** kickin........
                  I see, YOU decide what rulings by the SCOTUS are right and wrong. They are many things that are not in the Constitution but are part of American life.
                  Retired

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by M1garand View Post
                    I'm not questioning you, but rather people who'd burn our flag. That flag represents my country and everything that our nation represents. That flag means A LOT to me and to many people. So if the rights of those who wants to burn our flag preserve, then rights of those who wants to prevent it from happening also should be respected as well.
                    Do you feel that others have the right to prevent you from exercising your 1st amendment right?
                    Retired

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by SkepticAlways View Post
                      You are wasting your time.
                      I can see that you are correct.
                      Retired

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by retired View Post
                        Do you feel that others have the right to prevent you from exercising your 1st amendment right?
                        There are limitations already put in place to your constitutional rights.

                        Can you walk into elementary school with a shirt that has print of naked man/woman?
                        Can you say anything in threatening manner to your politicians and not be arrested?
                        Can you walk around with your loaded gun anywhere and everywhere (if you are not HR218 eligible, especially)?
                        Can you finger your own butt while you are at your local park and claim that that is how you want to express yourself?

                        Constitution does not offer exclusively nor absolute freedom, but rather comes with limitations.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          You really think that a beating is justified for exercising a 1st amendment right?
                          No, not justified. just predictible in certian environments.

                          M-11
                          “All men dream...... But not equally..
                          Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                          but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                          for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

                          TE Lawrence

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by retired View Post
                            You really think that a beating is justified for exercising a 1st amendment right?
                            To quote Trace Adkins, "First Amendment? Son, the First Amendment protects you from the government, not from me. Say whatever you want to out there, but come within reach of me and I'll exercise my right to give you a good ol' Country ***-whoopin' is what I'll do....by God...." From the "Fighting Words" song.
                            sigpic
                            Originally posted by Smurfette
                            Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
                            Originally posted by DAL
                            You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Quote by M-11: "Can you finger your own butt while you are at your local park and claim that that is how you want to express yourself?"

                              What a class act.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Uh, That was not me.

                                M-11
                                “All men dream...... But not equally..
                                Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                                but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                                for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

                                TE Lawrence

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 4784 users online. 263 members and 4521 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X