• Show
Clear All

• Obama stresses immigration benefits at Mexico border

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110511/...immigration_32

Obama stresses immigration benefits at Mexico border
    Reuters

Email
    Print

Samuel Aldaraca holds a U.S. flag and a sign outside the Arizona's State Capital after U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton blocked the most controver Reuters – Samuel Aldaraca holds a U.S. flag and a sign outside the Arizona's State Capital after U.S. District …

President Barack Obama Slideshow:President Barack Obama
    Osama Bin Laden Threat on Obama Family Play Video Barack Obama Video:Osama Bin Laden Threat on Obama Family ABC News
    Grapevine: Obama's Layoff Claims Accurate? Play Video Barack Obama Video:Grapevine: Obama's Layoff Claims Accurate? FOX News

By Patricia Zengerle – Wed May 11, 2:47 am ET

EL PASO, Texas (Reuters) – President Barack Obama issued an impassioned call for immigration reform in a speech at the U.S.-Mexican border on Tuesday, sending a message to Hispanics whose votes he needs to win re-election next year.

Obama, whose 2012 chances depend largely on the health of the U.S. economy, made the case that immigration reform would have economic benefits for the middle class and for businesses while also improving national security.

"One way to strengthen the middle class in America is to reform the immigration system, so that there is no longer a massive underground economy that exploits a cheap source of labor while depressing wages for everybody else," he said.

"That's why immigration reform is an economic imperative."

Tightening immigration laws -- and opposing the idea of giving "amnesty" to those who broke the law sneaking into the country -- has become a rallying cry for many Republicans who want a clampdown to keep drug crime from crossing the border.

Obama sought to portray Republicans' resistance to fixing problems with the U.S. immigration system as evidence they were hostile to the interests of Latino voters.

But he offered no concrete policy initiatives or timelines for introducing broad legislation, underscoring the fact that he is unlikely to advance any major overhaul before the 2012 presidential election.

Efforts to tighten security along the U.S.-Mexican border, including a $600 million bill signed in August to hire 1,500 border patrol agents, customs inspectors and law enforcement officials, have already had an impact, the president stressed.

"The truth is, the measures we've put in place are getting

results. Over the past two and a half years, we've seized 31 percent more drugs, 75 percent more currency, 64 percent more weapons than ever before," Obama said.

But Obama said opponents of immigration would never be happy, despite any tight controls that have been put in place.

"They wanted a fence," he said, to boos from the crowd, speaking in shirtsleeves on a hot, sunny day at a park within sight of the border. "Well, that fence is now basically complete."

"Maybe they'll need a moat. Maybe they'll want alligators in the moat," he said.

ELECTION STRATEGY

Obama's failure to get broader legislation on immigration through Congress has upset many Hispanic voters, especially because the United States deported nearly 400,000 illegal immigrants last year.

The 50.5 million Hispanics in the United States represent 16 percent of the population and are the fastest-growing U.S. minority group. They voted for Obama by a margin of more than two-to-one in 2008, according to the Pew Hispanic Center.

The White House said his trip and regular meetings with advocates for reform were part of a strategy to prod Congress into action despite the odds against it.

Obama flew from El Paso to Austin, Texas, where he spoke at two campaign fundraisers expected to bring in a total of $2 million. The first, attended by 750 people, was at a downtown theater and the second was a dinner for 50 at a private home.

The 800 people paid anything from $44 -- a rate for students -- to the legal maximum of $35,800 to attend.

White House spokesman Jay Carney said Texas Governor Rick Perry, a Republican, declined an invitation to meet with Obama on his trip -- a sign of the political divide on the issue.

There are an estimated 11 million illegal immigrants living in the United States, many of them Latin Americans who crossed the 2,000 mile frontier with Mexico.

Obama has pledged repeatedly to fix the U.S. immigration system to address citizenship concerns and make it easier for businesses to plan, but the issue has taken a back seat to other matters such as economic recovery and healthcare reform.

A senior administration official said the cost of a broad overhaul would be $54 billion, but the revenue increase would be $66 billion by adding new taxpayers.

Obama stressed that leading Republicans -- including former President George W. Bush -- have backed immigration reform in the past, and called for bipartisan action.

The president will need to convince Hispanics something will happen on the issue if he wins a second term, said Audrey Singer, an immigration expert at the Brookings Institution.

"If this group who has been promised over Obama's presidency, but also Bush's, that things were going to change, if they keep getting disappointed, it's hard to say what that is going to mean," Singer said.

In December the "Dream Act," which would have given a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants brought to the United States as children, failed to pass -- a disappointment for many Hispanic Americans.

(Additional reporting by Jim Forsyth, Tim Gaynor and Jeff Mason; editing by Anthony Boadle and Laura MacInnis)

This is nothing but blatant political pandering to the leftists in the Democratic Party. They couldn't even pass the DREAM act last year- with the new Congress he knows very well that amnesty is a political non-starter. Amnesty is a policy that will fail. The amnesty of 1986 failed to change anything and actually increased illegal immigration, while giving away U.S. citizenship to a bunch of criminals. This policy would be no different (except that it stands no chance of passage).

President Obama needs to realize that if it looks like there will be mass amnesty in the near future, illegal immigration will skyrocket and all of the recent gains in border security will be wiped out.

Oh well, at least it is job security for me!

Comment

Pandering is what politicians do best.

Not all latinos favor amnesty, either.
      Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
      Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post

Not all latinos favor amnesty, either.
        True. But almost all hardcore leftists do.

Comment

both parties continue to fail at sensible reform

too much to gain. both from the illegals (workforce and/or votes) -- and from having it as an issue

sometimes I think politicians are in no rush to actually make positive steps (on any number of issues) b/c that would leave them with one less wedge issue next cycle...

Comment

Originally posted by BigPat View Post
            This is nothing but blatant political pandering to the leftists in the Democratic Party. They couldn't even pass the DREAM act last year- with the new Congress he knows very well that amnesty is a political non-starter. Amnesty is a policy that will fail. The amnesty of 1986 failed to change anything and actually increased illegal immigration, while giving away U.S. citizenship to a bunch of criminals. This policy would be no different (except that it stands no chance of passage).

President Obama needs to realize that if it looks like there will be mass amnesty in the near future, illegal immigration will skyrocket and all of the recent gains in border security will be wiped out.

If, along with their "amnesty", they were handed a 1040 Income Tax Return form.... do you think there would still be an increase in illegal immigration ?

Comment

Great post Big Pat!
              Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

"Immigration reform" that doesn't include stopping the flow of illegals is pointless. If it were up to me, I'd lock that border up as tight as a drum. Then I'd allow any Mexican to go to the U. S. Consulate and get a card that allowed them to work in the United States with no strings attached except that they have to pay all applicable taxes for at least 18 months of every 24. People who are in the U. S. illegally would have to go to a consulate outside the U. S. to get the card. The card would have some sort of almost-unbeatable identification like a retinal scan and if a card-holder broke U. S. law, the card would be revoked immediately, they would be taken to the border and dropped off, and they could never get a card again.

The employer could stick the card into a reader like the military uses and get an instant update of the guest worker's status. The third conviction of hiring an illegal would invoke the corporate death penalty -- their corporate status is revoked, all their assets are seized and sold at auction.
                "Son, you are a walkin' violation of the laws of nature...But we don't enforce them laws."

I am just a country boy tryin' to make some sense
                But I'd like to ask the Congress, I'd like to ask the President
                "Can ya tell me where all the money went?"
                We might not be broke but we're badly bent!

The Tractors -- "Badly Bent" from the album Owner's Manual

"Common sense. So rare, it should be a super power." Exodus 259

Comment

Originally posted by HeadDoc View Post
                  "Immigration reform" that doesn't include stopping the flow of illegals is pointless. If it were up to me, I'd lock that border up as tight as a drum. Then I'd allow any Mexican to go to the U. S. Consulate and get a card that allowed them to work in the United States with no strings attached except that they have to pay all applicable taxes for at least 18 months of every 24. People who are in the U. S. illegally would have to go to a consulate outside the U. S. to get the card. The card would have some sort of almost-unbeatable identification like a retinal scan and if a card-holder broke U. S. law, the card would be revoked immediately, they would be taken to the border and dropped off, and they could never get a card again.

The employer could stick the card into a reader like the military uses and get an instant update of the guest worker's status. The third conviction of hiring an illegal would invoke the corporate death penalty -- their corporate status is revoked, all their assets are seized and sold at auction.
                  HeadDoc for president!
                  Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

On the campaign trial again. Seems like he never got off it.

He is hitting immigration pretty hard lately. Almost makes me wonder what executive order he'll come with next as there doesn't seem to be enough support in Congress to address the issue.
                    "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

Originally posted by FNA209 View Post
                      On the campaign trial again. Seems like he never got off it.

He is hitting immigration pretty hard lately. Almost makes me wonder what executive order he'll come with next as there doesn't seem to be enough support in Congress to address the issue.
                      Probably trying to give out U.S. Citizenship by by-passing 5 year requirement resident alien status to be qualified to apply for the U.S. Citizenship so that he and his friends can generate additional votes.

Comment

Originally posted by HeadDoc View Post
                        What would force the illegal to obtain the card? They're supposed to have a card now, but often don't.

And how do we seal off the border? And where would the money for it come from? As it is right now being deported is a joke. How much so? A San Diego tv crew interviewed an illegal who had been detained & was being deported in an hour or so. The illegal asked what television station they were from. The reporter asked why it mattered, since the illegal was about to be deported. The illegal replied that he wanted to know what station it would be on because he would be back in the US in time for the evening news.

Who would pay for the reader, or for that matter all the equipment for a retina scan? And the idea of a national i.d. card gives quite a few voters the heebee jeebees.

Additionally, the idea of a corporate death penalty wouldn't go over well with the largest contributors to political campaigns. Good luck getting the hacks in DC to vote for that one.

I like your ideas (especially the corporate death penalty....that alone right now might solve the problem), but it seems impossible to get those in DC to buy in & actually do anything of significance. Unfortunately I think dlo is correct when he says that the parties have to much to gain by keeping everything the same & pandering to both sides of the issue rather than doing anything.
                        This Space For Rent

Comment

Of course, fixing the problem has its issues too....
                          If the border was "sealed" overnight, and every illegal was magically sent home in a day.... the economy would likely suffer a pretty powerful hit when all the cheap labor disappeared. The costs of good (especially food !) would jump tremendously

while illegal immigration does cost the country.... there is also the benefit.
                          And honestly - from a GDP perspective - I wonder which is greater ?

Since there really is no magic bullet to "stop illegal immigration" the trick is finding a policy that generates more of a benefit from the issue and less of a cost

Comment

Holy Jeebus....the devil is munching on a snow cone right now.....I actually agree with one of your political posts!!!
                            sigpic
                            Originally posted by Smurfette
                            Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
                            Originally posted by DAL
                            You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

Originally posted by FJDave View Post
                              Holy Jeebus....the devil is munching on a snow cone right now.....I actually agree with one of your political posts!!!
                              I've said the same thing. BigPat swings both ways

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2902 users online. 182 members and 2720 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X