300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gasoline Prices In Chicago Are Highest In Nation

I officially stopped driving unless its necessary, public transit is much cheaper right now.

The price for a gallon of gasoline in Chicago is now the highest in the nation.
    According to the Lundberg survey, the average price for a gallon of unleaded regular gasoline in Chicago now stands at $4.27—a 12 cent increase in the past two weeks. And that's just the average. Several stations in Chicago were selling gasoline for between $4.60 and $4.70 a gallon, according to chicagogasprices.com.

The highest prices Monday morning were found at two gas stations close to highway entrances. At the Citgo station at 1004 S. Desplaines St., near the Taylor Street and Roosevelt Road entrances to the Dan Ryan Expressway, and the BP station at 755 W. Lawrence Ave. near that street's entrance to Lake Shore Drive, the price was $4.69 per gallon.

By comparison to all that, the national average is $3.88.
    "I just put in whatever I think is going to be enough to get me through the week," Gloria Selgado of Chicago told CBS 2′s Dana Kozlov. "That's it."
    For Selgado, that rings up to about $130 every seven days — forcing her to consider cutting back on her driving.

"I have to think about it twice, to go anywhere I have to think about these things," she said.
    For Scott Jacobs of Park Ridge, cutting back on other expenses, such as long summer trips, is the only way to budget the steep price of driving in Chicago. He and his family will stay closer to home for their getaway.
    "We love to camp, but we'll probably just pull in our camp zones a little bit. There's a lot of great camping in, you know, Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin," Jacobs said.
    Even younger drivers say they're making a social sacrifice.
    "I can't go out as much," one young woman said, "and then I have to ask my parents for money sometimes."
    Para Sivagura drove to Chicago from Toronto for an extended weekend trip. She was shocked at spending $300 just to get to Chicago, and she was nervous about how much it would cost to get back home.
    "People can't afford to drive on the street," Sivagura said. "Pay-wise is not that much. Cost of living is higher and higher."
    Across the border in Northwest Indiana, where prices are historically 25 to 30 cents a gallon cheaper, it's nearly impossible to find a gallon below $4. Higher state and county taxes in Illinois account for the cost difference over the border.
    The national average now stands at $3.88—with no signs of a reversal anytime soon.
    The highest prices are normally seen in California. In San Francisco, which has held the most expensive title in the past, the average is $4.22.
    That makes $5 a gallon in Chicago a very real possibility. And some experts say, if conditions are right, drivers could be paying $6 before the year is out.
    Commodities analyst Richard Hastings says don't look for any relief soon.
    "This year, you get more than $4 a gallon … all the way through until September," he says.
    That may be the optimistic view. If supply disruptions occur, look out.
    "That could easily send prices at the pump slightly above $6 a gallon, and then they would start to come back down after that," Hastings says. "But we could see an amazing spike."
    Image: Chicago's gas prices are now the highest in the nation. Gloria Selgado says she pays up to $130 a week on gas. (Credit: CBS)
    Life is what you make of it

Maybe if we got rid of the taxes we charge the gas company's they would charge us less... Somehow I doubt it though.

I bet the tax revenue from these taxes is to great for states to get rid of it.

When summer hits, I am for sure riding my bicycle to work. I am close enough that it is a viable solution.
    This show is awesome, wrapped in supercool and smothered in bitchin. The only way it could be cooler is if he was riding a unicorn or something.

M-11

Comment

Originally posted by -Erik- View Post
      Maybe if we got rid of the taxes we charge the gas company's they would charge us less... Somehow I doubt it though.

I bet the tax revenue from these taxes is to great for states to get rid of it.

When summer hits, I am for sure riding my bicycle to work. I am close enough that it is a viable solution.
      Its the taxes that are imposed at the pump that are hurting us, when I visit a friend in Naperville which is a suburb about 20 miles from here it is automatically 20-30 cents cheaper at some places over there and oil companies have no alternative fuels to compete with, so they have no reason to lower their prices anyhow.

Comment

You guys have lousy pizza, but that's no reason to penalize you.
        I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

More likely it's the money that goes to line the politicians' pockets that causes prices to be high.

I suspect that gas prices tend to be highest in areas that vote heavily for Democrats.
          Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
          Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Anyone who thinks that oil companies would reduce gas prices an amount anywhere near comensurate to the drop in taxes is extremely naive.
            Last edited by Pogue Mahone; 04-25-2011, 01:24 PM. Reason: Syntax is a good thing!
            This Space For Rent

Comment

You would see price reductions if there were excess supply.

Comment

ohh yes ..

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                You would see price reductions if there were excess supply.
                that will happen, it's already in excess. investors are buying and oil barrels are pouring in with no more rooms to store. the problem is alot of people dont get is it's the investors and stock market spectulators from wall street is causing the rise... as for politicans lining the pockets, it's ironic coming from you since about 90% of fatcats pols are lawyers.. isn't that your kind of crowd ?
                Last edited by pfchell; 04-25-2011, 01:46 PM.
                break censorship chains

Comment

I don't know when there will be an excess. I work at natural gas drilling sites for a security job. Right now, there are only 5 operating wells.

Dang Chicago, I thought Obabma would take care of "his own".
                  I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Originally posted by pfchell View Post
                    that will happen, it's already in excess. investors are buying and oil barrels are pouring in with no more rooms to store. the problem is alot of people dont get is it's the investors and stock market spectulators from wall street is causing the rise... as for politicans lining the pockets, it's ironic coming from you since about 90% of fatcats pols are lawyers.. isn't that your kind of crowd ?
                    It is quite appropriate for you to use a "confused" emoticon, for you appear to be confused about just about everything.

Your "logic" is execrable. It is of the form: Most politicians are lawyers, most politicians are crooked, therefore all lawyers are crooked. See any flaws? You probably don't, but everyone with at least a third-grade education should.

I believe you are a farmer, and 90% of all farms in the US are operated by large agribusiness corporations. So you must be a fat cat, right? That would be consistent with your mode of "reasoning."
                    Last edited by DAL; 04-25-2011, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy8116 View Post
                      I don't know when there will be an excess. I work at natural gas drilling sites for a security job. Right now, there are only 5 operating wells.
                      The existence of a meaningful surplus depends on foreign operators increasing their production and domestic refineries increasing their output. We are at the mercy of OPEC.

There is definitely a surplus of natural gas, but few vehicles run on it. Natural gas is being produced from shale deposits. I hear those operations also produce a little bit of crude, but not enough to make a difference.
                      Last edited by DAL; 04-25-2011, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
                        You guys have lousy pizza, but that's no reason to penalize you.
                        Pffft you guys wish that NY has something this good.

My commute everyday is around 25 miles round trip, that Chevy volt would be really nice right about now.

Comment

you guys have lousy pizza, but that's no reason to penalize you.
                          +1 lol
                          MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

It is amazing how much of the American public actually believe that the Government somehow controls oil prices.

Comment

It's amazing how so many can keep defending Obamy.
                              I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6431 users online. 342 members and 6089 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X