Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Jersey To Rehire Transit Worker Fired For Burning Quran

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...an?ft=1&f=1001

New Jersey Transit will rehire a man who was fired after burning a Quran. The ACLU of New Jersey brought a suit on behalf of Derek Fenton, who was fired for burning a Quran last year on the ninth anniversary of 9/11.

According to settlement papers released by the ACLU, Fenton will get back his $86,110-a-year position, receive backpay at a rate of $331.20 per day since he was fired and he'll receive $25,000 for "Mr. Fenton's pain and suffering." The settlement also states that Fenton will not have to "disavow or recant that conduct" and will not have to undergo any "sensitivity training."

"Our government cannot pick and choose whose free speech rights are protected, based on whether or not they approve of the content of our statements or actions," Fenton said in a statement. "This is the very essence of the First Amendment."

The Newark Star-Ledger reports that Fenton was fired after he attended a protest at the site of the planned Islamic center in lower Manhattan, tore three pages from the Quran and set them on fire.

"At the time, Fenton was off duty and did not publicly link himself to NJ Transit," reports the Star-Ledger. The paper adds that New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie supported Fenton's firing:
    In February, Christie said he didn't ask for the dismissal but called it appropriate because "that kind of intolerance is ... unacceptable."

"I knew he was going to be fired, and I had no problem with it," Christie said at the time. "And I still don't have a problem with it."
    In its complaint, the ACLU said Fenton was fired for violating New Jersey Transit's "code of ethics," but the ACLU argued Fenton's firing violated his constitutional rights.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

So is this a time we all think the ACLU did something right? Or do we still not like them? I am confused.

O" Christie is a idiot, I can't even believe some people would think he is president material.
    He's a fence riding SOB that swings which ever way suits him. To bad the fence is not one of those iron fences with the pointy things on top so they could go str8 up his ***!~
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water.

Comment

Well the guy shouldn't have been fired in the first place. Sometimes the ACLU does manage to pull a rabbit of of their hat rather than someone out of their ***.
      "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

Originally posted by FNA209 View Post
        Well the guy shouldn't have been fired in the first place. Sometimes the ACLU does manage to pull a rabbit of of their hat rather than someone out of their ***.
        My favorite line in these situations is: Even a broken clock is right twice a day....
        Originally posted by kontemplerande
        Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
          My favorite line in these situations is: Even a broken clock is right twice a day....
          Wait a minute... you referring to me or the ACLU?

"Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

Originally posted by FNA209 View Post
            Wait a minute... you referring to me or the ACLU?

Definitely the ACLU. I'm pretty sure I've seen you right up to 3 times a day before...
            Originally posted by kontemplerande
            Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
              Definitely the ACLU. I'm pretty sure I've seen you right up to 3 times a day before...
              I'll take three a day.

It's impossible to be right all of the time.... unless your name is obama, that is. In some people's eyes, that guy is damn near infallible. The rest of us think more along the lines of him being infantile, but we knew that was what we'd get seeing an inexperienced person attempting to play the role.

Comment

The ACLU is almost always right on 1st Amendment issues, and pretty much always wrong about everything else. This case is just further confirmation of that fact.

While burning a Quran, Bible, or any other religious book is rather ignorant and contributes nothing towards a rational discourse on religion, it is most certainly is protected free speech.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackavar
                  Replace the Quran with the Bible and see if the ACLU jumps on board
                  They support the right to burn the Quran. Do you think that they wouldn't support the right to burn the Bible?

Comment

Originally posted by BigPat View Post
                    They support the right to burn the Quran. Do you think that they wouldn't support the right to burn the Bible?
                    Curious to see if they do or not.....

Comment

huh..

outlaw islam.
                      break censorship chains

Comment

Originally posted by pfchell View Post
                        outlaw islam.
                        Outlaw pfchell.
                        Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by pfchell View Post
                          outlaw islam.
                          Why do you hate the way America works so much?
                          "The deepest human defeat suffered by human beings is constituted by the difference between what one was capable of becoming and what one has in fact become."

Comment

Originally posted by Blackavar
                            Only if the guy got a promotion out of it
                            You are not making sense. You are implying an anti-Christian bias in the way that the ACLU pursues 1st amendment cases, yet we are discussing the case of a person (presumably a Christian) who burned a Quran to protest a planned Islamic center.

Comment

If there's one thing about the ALCU, they're at least consistent.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3011 users online. 158 members and 2853 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X