Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Current Feds, Do you support Republican Budget?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current Feds, Do you support Republican Budget?

This question is particularly targeted toward those of you who vote Republican.

Highlights that effect us as federal workers

-Ryan's plan would only allow the government to hire one new employee for every three who leave, which he said would cut 10 percent from the federal workforce by 2014.

-It freezes federal pay through 2015, three years longer than the current pay freeze would last, and cancels periodic step increases.

-It requires federal employees to pay half of the costs of their pensions, instead of 1/14th of the cost, as employees under the Federal Employees Retirement System currently pay.

I know it sounds bad, but it is time that us fat cat feds stopped living it up and shared the pain that the real "taxpayers" have had to deal with.

We have pretty high turnover at the BOP, so I imagine that in less than 5 years, half of our staff inside the prisons will be eliminated.
    What is Perseverance?
    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

"I know it sounds bad, but it is time that us fat cat feds stopped living it up and shared the pain that the real "taxpayers" have had to deal with."

What in the world does that mean? I'm pretty sure Uncle Sam took a large portion of my check last year, and wanted even more last Monday. If that doesn't make me a "real" taxpayer, what exactly does one look like?

In my neighborhood, I am the only federal worker. All my neighbors were rolling in the bucks (most work in sales; often receiving 5 or 6 figure bonuses) over the last several years while I got my steady federal salary, happily settling for a $500 spot award. Now the economy has turned, and the bonuses aren't there. And do you know whose fault that is? That's right, it's my fault, the "fat cat" fed.

Oh and another thing, the unemployment rate is 9.2 percent. That means 90 percent of the workforce is working! Most people are not significantly affected by the downturn. In fact, my wife works in the private sector and received both a raise and bonus this year, which is more than I can say for my federal co-workers. I'm wiling to sacrifice (I have no problem with the COLA freeze) but do me a favor before you take my step increase and raise my FERS contributions. Trim the Defense budget, reform Supplemental Security Income and food stamps, then get back to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Diablo982 View Post
      "I know it sounds bad, but it is time that us fat cat feds stopped living it up and shared the pain that the real "taxpayers" have had to deal with."

What in the world does that mean? I'm pretty sure Uncle Sam took a large portion of my check last year, and wanted even more last Monday. If that doesn't make me a "real" taxpayer, what exactly does one look like?

In my neighborhood, I am the only federal worker. All my neighbors were rolling in the bucks (most work in sales; often receiving 5 or 6 figure bonuses) over the last several years while I got my steady federal salary, happily settling for a $500 spot award. Now the economy has turned, and the bonuses aren't there. And do you know whose fault that is? That's right, it's my fault, the "fat cat" fed.

Oh and another thing, the unemployment rate is 9.2 percent. That means 90 percent of the workforce is working! Most people are not significantly affected by the downturn. In fact, my wife works in the private sector and received both a raise and bonus this year, which is more than I can say for my federal co-workers. I'm wiling to sacrifice (I have no problem with the COLA freeze) but do me a favor before you take my step increase and raise my FERS contributions. Trim the Defense budget, reform Supplemental Security Income and food stamps, then get back to me.
      +1

I already pay $1700 in taxes, retirement, and insurance every two weeks for a 34% retirement + TSP and SS that won't be there when I retire.

Comment

Much as I hate to say it...

We must always remember we are (you are) PUBLIC SERVANTS and as such, you accepted whatever the future might bring you as far as pay and perks. That's part of being a civil servant. That said, you muist either accept whatever crumbs they want to give you, or move on to the private sector, where you must perform to get paid and to get ahead.

I feel badly for anyone who must endure pay freezes, benefit cuts, etc., and have been there myself. I would be embarassed to tell you what I was paid when I retired, due to three separate pay freezes over my 20 years.

I support any measure at this point to get our budget an deficit under control - admittedly due to a selfish thing aboiut my sons. I really want to leave them a better country than I got, and Barry is trying his damndest to ruin it all. Sorry, but I come down on Ryan's side on this. I have to as a taxpayer, father and patriot.
        The All New
        BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
        Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
        - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

**** Ryan and the rest of them......

I busted my *** off to get where I am at and I (along with several 1000s others) am about to get RIF'd because of them.....and their silly ****......

Not sure how I am going to vote but Ryan and the rest of those asshats can kiss my ***... We can gut/kill other programs....but they are so simpled minded they can't pull their ****ing heads out of their asses to do that.... Gutting Gov employees is the easy way out ..... They are too ***** to make hard choices like...giving trillions of bucks to Columbia, Peru, Boliva, Saudi, Eygpt, Vietnam, Thailand, or the rest of those ****hole countries.....

What about the 3 wars we are in...? Can't we get out of those and do something with that money.....?

I lean very, very far to the right......but nowdays....not seeing that happening.......

Barry and the Dims can suck my balls as well because they are just as bad......

Jim...... How about we gut your pension program now.....and you have to go out and find work for another 20 years....?? You would go insane against the state of WY...... And we all know that.....
          Last edited by Bearcat357; 04-22-2011, 02:54 AM.

Comment

All of our problems would be fixed within 10 years if we:

1. Stopped giving free aid to countries around the world that hate us anyway.

2. Closed 3/4ths of our Overseas Military Bases. Their useful time is past. anything they could do can be done long range from the states, or by a Carrier group.

No cuts in the workforce, No massive Tax changes. Just reign in the charity around the world.

Easy.

I'll be running for office in about 10 years so if the country is still around I'll fix it for ya.

M-11

No
            “All men dream...... But not equally..
            Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
            but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
            for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

For my entire 35 year career, I've been torn between my personal desire for smaller government and the knowledge that getting my way could cost me my job.

That being said, I'm also torn between Democrats (tax & spend) and the nuevo Republicans (spend & spend). The dems want my rights while the repubs want my job and a bunch of other stuff outside the scope of Constitutionally authorized governmental powers.

Since the Rs and Ds have become nothing more than:

1. the same person looking in a mirror
              2. 2 sides of the same coin

I have stepped back from the whole tempest in a teapot that swirls around "picking a winner" or holding my nose and choosing the lesser of two evils. I've begun picking my candidates based on their position, and voting record and how it rated (for the good of the Republic). That means I usually vote for a 3rd party candidate.

I've had people warn me that I'm throwing my vote away (the "pick the winner" gang) but I contend anyone voting for either of two evils that doesn't have the good of the nation as their core value is the one throwing away their vote (and that of their kids).

Comment

Originally posted by Diablo982 View Post

I completely agree, however there are many who believe that because we receive our pay checks from the government, we aren't real taxpayers. Read through some of the recent articles about government employees, and you will see that recurring theme. As though we don't pay taxes, and we contribute nothing to the economy. As though all we do is take money from the real taxpayers (people who work for private businesses) so that we can live it up with good pay and lavish benefits. This is what many believe, and why we are being attacked by certain politicians.

I'm with you there.
                What is Perseverance?
                -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

You're right - I got mine. But I'm just sayin I always knew it could be pulled out from under me anytime andf I accepted that risk. I got lucky and made it through.

After Ryan's deal - if it actually was to get through whiuch I doubt - you will still have a pension benefit. Many have nothing. In the real (private) world, you have to pay for all of it yourself. Imagine that.

Just sayin. It could be a whole lot worse, couldn't it?
                  Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                  **** Ryan and the rest of them......

I busted my *** off to get where I am at and I (along with several 1000s others) am about to get RIF'd because of them.....and their silly ****......

Not sure how I am going to vote but Ryan and the rest of those asshats can kiss my ***... We can gut/kill other programs....but they are so simpled minded they can't pull their ****ing heads out of their asses to do that.... Gutting Gov employees is the easy way out ..... They are too ***** to make hard choices like...giving trillions of bucks to Columbia, Peru, Boliva, Saudi, Eygpt, Vietnam, Thailand, or the rest of those ****hole countries.....

What about the 3 wars we are in...? Can't we get out of those and do something with that money.....?

I lean very, very far to the right......but nowdays....not seeing that happening.......

Barry and the Dims can suck my balls as well because they are just as bad......

Jim...... How about we gut your pension program now.....and you have to go out and find work for another 20 years....?? You would go insane against the state of WY...... And we all know that.....
                  The All New
                  Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                  - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
                    You're right - I got mine. But I'm just sayin I always knew it could be pulled out from under me anytime andf I accepted that risk. I got lucky and made it through.

After Ryan's deal - if it actually was to get through whiuch I doubt - you will still have a pension benefit. Many have nothing. In the real (private) world, you have to pay for all of it yourself. Imagine that.

Just sayin. It could be a whole lot worse, couldn't it?
                    I just think there are a ton of other stuff we can cut out of the budget and not do a thing to US Gov Employees.... Do we have to many in some places...? Probably.... Do we have Defense stuff that could go...? Yeap.....

But in the scheme of things when USAID is out spending billions of dollars on making sure the Ethopian grasshopper farmer is doing fine......I have issues with that. We need to start putting America first and saw screw some of these other places.......

Why aren't we running the Iraqi Oil Fields.....?

Why are we half-assing around with Libya....? Firebomb that damn blace and take over the oil fields instead of dicking around acting like we aren't doing anything but yet we still are tossing missiles downrange.....

Barry needs to go.....

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                      I just think there are a ton of other stuff we can cut out of the budget and not do a thing to US Gov Employees.... Do we have to many in some places...? Probably.... Do we have Defense stuff that could go...? Yeap.....

But in the scheme of things when USAID is out spending billions of dollars on making sure the Ethopian grasshopper farmer is doing fine......I have issues with that. We need to start putting America first and saw screw some of these other places.......

Why aren't we running the Iraqi Oil Fields.....?

Why are we half-assing around with Libya....? Firebomb that damn blace and take over the oil fields instead of dicking around acting like we aren't doing anything but yet we still are tossing missiles downrange.....

Barry needs to go.....
                      Indeed.
                      The All New
                      - M1Garand

Comment

I support it, even though it means my FERS contribution will go up dramatically (essentially a 5% paycut). As hard as it is, I try to separate my personal interests from what I think is best for the country when I vote. Defined benefit pensions are a thing of the past. I'd much rather everyone just go to a 401K style plan. Also the pay freezes don't bother me either, its what has been happening in the private sector for a couple years. Bottom line, I'm grateful to have the job that I have. I'm encouraged by the fact that the current Congress is at least trying to deal with the deficit, although my general pessimism about politicians is telling me that they won't get anything substantial accomplished.
                        Before science, it was believed that autumn was caused by Chuck Norris simultaneously roundhouse kicking every tree on the planet.

Comment

I understand that the deficit needs to be reduced. But I also think that the Ryan plan is much to big of a crap sandwich that they want Federal employees to eat.

The pension changes (which equal a 5%+ pay cut) coupled with a 5 year pay freeze are way over the top. 5 years is 1/4 of some folks' careers. Nobody that I know in private industry is receiving 5 year pay freezes,

Ryan and the GOP in general are trying to balance the budget while only \touching a small percentage of the budget. Effective health care reform could save a huge amount of money. There are also a lot of other huge cuts that could be made that would eliminate the need to cut the salaries of the remaining Federal workers. The agency that I work for is actually a revenue producing agency. With a few regulatory changes regarding how we deal with seizing property and assessing fines, the people in my Agency could easily create more revenue than their salaries.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPat View Post
                            The agency that I work for is actually a revenue producing agency. With a few regulatory changes regarding how we deal with seizing property and assessing fines, the people in my Agency could easily create more revenue than their salaries.
                            Don't let mangement catch you coming up with good ideas... Instead, we should turn off our trucks until our shift is over.

Comment

Originally posted by madchiken View Post
                              Don't let mangement catch you coming up with good ideas... Instead, we should turn off our trucks until our shift is over.
                              Technically I am "management".... it doesn't neccessarily make any difference on ideas being listened to....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4640 users online. 279 members and 4361 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X