300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support for Obama's health overhaul hits new low

WASHINGTON (AP) — Amid a budget debate that will affect the health care of virtually every family, a new poll finds support for President Barack Obama's overhaul at its lowest level since passage last year.

But in a ringing defense of Obama's policies, Medicare chief Donald Berwick pleaded Tuesday for more time on the health care law, and branded a leading Republican plan "unfair and harmful" and "a form of withholding care."

The Associated Press-GfK poll showed that support for Obama's expansion of health insurance coverage has slipped to 35 percent, while opposition stands at 45 percent and another 17 percent are neutral. That nearly ties the previous low in September 2009, when after a summer of heated town hall meetings dominated by critics, only 34 percent supported Obama's approach.

The worry this time appears to be federal budget deficits driven by unmanageable health care costs. Among seniors, whose views are critical in any debate over health care, support for the law dipped below 30 percent for the first time in AP-GfK polling.

Obama is scheduled to deliver a major speech Wednesday that will lay out his path for reducing deficits. While administration officials have acknowledged the need for more savings from Medicare and Medicaid, congressional Republicans have offered a bold alternative to tackle health care costs.

House Budget Chairman Paul Ryan, R-Wis., is proposing to convert Medicare into a "premium support" program. Instead of traditional Medicare, people now 54 and younger would get a fixed payment, or voucher, from the government to buy private health insurance when they retire. Medicaid, which serves low-income people, would be turned over to the states as a block grant program. Taken together, the programs serve about 100 million Americans.

Berwick, who oversees Medicare and Medicaid as well as the rollout of the new health care law, told Associated Press reporters and editors Tuesday that the Republican approach would set back efforts to improve quality and squeeze waste.

It would be like "giving people a sum of money and saying, 'Good luck, God bless you,'" Berwick said during an hour-long interview. "That's not about improving care. That's about shifting burdens."

Ryan says his plan will save Medicare from bankruptcy, and market competition will bring down costs without compromising quality.

A pediatrician, Berwick is well-known in the medical community as an advocate for better quality. But in Washington, he has become one of the most controversial administration figures. His statements as an academic praising the British health care system brought him under suspicion from Republicans, who accused him of favoring rationing. Despite his denials, Berwick's confirmation has been blocked in the Senate, and he may have to leave the job by the end of this year.

The political uncertainty didn't stop him from a full defense of the new health care law. He lamented that the administration has not been able to convince the public that the complex legislation will improve quality and reduce costs over time.

They are in a "psychological trap, where nothing looks good," he said. "The public's smart. They're going to wait for the results before they actually change their minds."

If anything, Berwick said, he wished "the tempo of the law were faster," so that Americans could experience the benefits of coverage for virtually all residents and payment changes to reward doctors and hospitals for quality care, not the volume of tests and procedures.

"We are not going to take your care away. We are going to make it better," Berwick said. "The public will notice as we make health care better, but that takes time."

On Tuesday, the Obama administration began a national program to improve safety in hospitals, which are rife with infections and opportunities for medical mistakes.

The new Partnership for Patients will help hospitals adopt proven strategies to reduce those problems dramatically, with the goal of preventing nearly 2 million patient injuries and saving more than 60,000 lives over the next three years. If it works, it could save Medicare $10 billion over that period.

The poll showed the administration's message isn't getting through, particularly with seniors.

Fifty-nine percent of seniors oppose the new health care law, while only 29 percent support it. Disapproval of Obama's handling of health care among seniors has ticked upward to 62 percent, while Republicans are more trusted than Democrats to handle the issue, by a 51 percent to 36 percent margin.

By contrast, among adults of all ages, Obama's approval rating on health care stands at 52 percent, and 53 percent say they trust Democrats to do a better job.

The Associated Press-GfK Poll was conducted March 24-28 by GfK Roper Public Affairs and Corporate Communications. It involved landline and cell phone interviews with 1,001 adults nationwide, and has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 4.2 percentage points.

___

Deputy polling director Jennifer Agiesta and Associated Press writer Lauran Neergaard contributed to this report.
    MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

If anything, Berwick said, he wished "the tempo of the law were faster," so that Americans could experience the benefits of coverage for virtually all residents and payment changes to reward doctors and hospitals for quality care, not the volume of tests and procedures.

"We are not going to take your care away. We are going to make it better," Berwick said. "The public will notice as we make health care better, but that takes time."

The only people who will feel the change are the one who pay for their medical benefits. That fing line just shows me how ignorant they are. You are going to add participation to 100% which in turn will skew the premium/usuage. Guess who pays for that in rate increases? Buisness owners and it's Employees. Guess what also will happen? You will have people utilizing their new insurance for every ache and pain. We are so Fuc-ed on this and these ignorant as- holes who make statements like this drive me nuts.
    MDRDEP:

Comment

I noticed the amount of 4 letter words I used, I am sorry about that. I deal with small & mid size buisness and I hear their pain daily. It is depressing to say the least.
      MDRDEP:

Comment

post deleted
        Last edited by avalon42; 03-13-2015, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
          I noticed the amount of 4 letter words I used, I am sorry about that. I deal with small & mid size buisness and I hear their pain daily. It is depressing to say the least.
          I'm with ya, Jcioccke. I'm not a member of the Tea Party -- just a really fiscally conservative voter -- but I was down with the Tea Party the weekend they protested the vote on this bill....and in fact even after most of the Tea Party was bussed back to their states, hung around with the last 150 people who stood under the balcony late Sunday night when the vote was finally taken as we yelled things like "we'll remember in November." I'm actually surprised at how many Americans are starting to resist the pandering, and am pleasantly surprised with the current polls on Obamacare....

Comment

Originally posted by avalon42 View Post
            FUBAR. It all is. I hear your frustration. Used to be a small biz owner myself. These kind of asshat policies and big government with/fines/fees, taxes shut me down.
            And yes, roger the description as FUBAR. Good one.

Comment

I keep hoping that support for Obama keeps hitting new lows because he won't care what we want.

Comment

Once Obamacare is eliminated, we will be left once again with the realization that our current system is terrible. Health care was an issue among Republicans as well as Democrats in 2008.
                Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

UPDATE:

Obama defends Medicare cuts
                  http://www.benefitspro.com/2011/04/1...-medicare-cuts
                  MDRDEP:

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                    Once Obamacare is eliminated, we will be left once again with the realization that our current system is terrible. Health care was an issue among Republicans as well as Democrats in 2008.
                    There's no question that it needs fixing, my solution is less government, not more. Under the Jasper plan, if you want to live longer, take care of yourself or make sure that you can afford the expenses. Healthier people should be able to get cheaper policies like better drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by JasperST View Post
                      There's no question that it needs fixing, my solution is less government, not more. Under the Jasper plan, if you want to live longer, take care of yourself or make sure that you can afford the expenses. Healthier people should be able to get cheaper policies like better drivers.
                      And how would one pay for something if something goes wrong? How are you going to curb the ever rising cost of health care? And who gets to decide what is healthy and what isn't?

The whole insurance industry is one big scam though IMO. You pay and pay and pay and yet when it comes time to use what you have paid for you have to pay again. How backwards is that?
                      Last edited by -Erik-; 04-14-2011, 01:32 PM.
                      This show is awesome, wrapped in supercool and smothered in bitchin. The only way it could be cooler is if he was riding a unicorn or something.

M-11

Comment

I also think that health insurance is a scam, you spend your hard earned money and then you have to get on your hands and knees and beg for something to be approved (those who have the luxury of being able to afford better polices may not have the issue). And yes good health can be managed but sometimes things happen and you wind up with diseases that are out of your control or you might have a pre-existing condition since birth and if you manage to get coverage the costs are insane.

Under the Jasper plan if you have health problems stemming from birth or unable to get a higher paying job for the near future then you are pretty much screwed if you need major care.
                        Life is what you make of it

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                          I wouldn't classify a healthcare system that has the highest survival rates of cancer and heart surgery in the world as "terrible" but we do have some holes that need fixing. Right now Obamacare makes those deficiencies seem like perfection.

Comment

Originally posted by MD11pilot View Post
                            I also think that health insurance is a scam, you spend your hard earned money and then you have to get on your hands and knees and beg for something to be approved (those who have the luxury of being able to afford better polices may not have the issue). And yes good health can be managed but sometimes things happen and you wind up with diseases that are out of your control or you might have a pre-existing condition since birth and if you manage to get coverage the costs are insane.

Under the Jasper plan if you have health problems stemming from birth or unable to get a higher paying job for the near future then you are pretty much screwed if you need major care.
                            How about we get a system that entails giving each one of us a Patient Bill of Rights, Tort reform and allows insurance companies to sell coverage across state lines? Then we could have the government cut down its multiple healthcare agencies into a single agency. Why do we need multiple agencies such as CHIP, Medicare and Medicaid for when one would do?

Comment

Originally posted by Rifleguy View Post
                              I wouldn't classify a healthcare system that has the highest survival rates of cancer and heart surgery in the world as "terrible" but we do have some holes that need fixing. Right now Obamacare makes those deficiencies seem like perfection.
                              One of the problems is that we do not have health care in this country, we have sick care. IMO health care and sick care are two completely different things and until we switch from a reactionary way of medicine to a proactive form of medicine we will see nothing but higher prices on our costs for getting sick care.
                              This show is awesome, wrapped in supercool and smothered in bitchin. The only way it could be cooler is if he was riding a unicorn or something.

M-11

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5631 users online. 354 members and 5277 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X