X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Historic' deal to avoid government shutdown

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ap_on_re_...nding_showdown

My favorite from the article...

"This is historic, what we've done," agreed Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., the third man involved in negotiations that ratified a new era of divided government.
    You mean historic in that you did your jobs?

I like how they are all patting themselves on the backs and feeling like they did something that matters. This is a drop in the bucket that is our 1.3 trillion dollar deficit problem.

Seriously just get it over with. Raise my taxes and be done with it....
    This show is awesome, wrapped in supercool and smothered in bitchin. The only way it could be cooler is if he was riding a unicorn or something.

M-11

But the real fight starts next. This was just the warm-up band. Should be quite interesting.

Comment

I hope it marks the start of an era in which the nation gets serious about cutting back government, and recognizes that we cannot solve our problems by throwing money at them.
      Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
      Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

What a bunch of sell outs. Makes me wanna puke.
        The All New
        BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
        Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
        - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Erik does have a valid point; Although feeling relieved, I don't feel that congress should be getting any props for finally doing their jobs; this task should have been completed 4 or 5 months ago. A band-aid has been applied, nothing more. The paitent is still in danger of hemmoraging to death.

But raise my taxes? Umm, NO......... How about getting RID of welfare and food stamps. Get RID of the job-stealing, criminal illegals......Seems to me this country was standing strong long before inititives like "The Great Society" and other assorted crap like that.
          Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

Comment

I agree with emmapeel, this is just the start. There SHOULD be major reforms to government programs and the tax code that results in less spending and increased revenue. We can't cut taxes and cut spending at the same time, it's just unrealistic when we have been excessively spending for decades. Hopefully Congress will continue doing their jobs and stop patting themselves on the back every time they do real work.

Comment

Imagine the Federal Budget is $365.00; They just agreed to cut $1.08 from it.......

Comment

Real cuts will be much more difficult, because the same people who want huge budget cuts are vehemently opposed to cutting social security and Medicare. The Republicans do not want to lose those votes, so they would have to cut welfare programs (including Medicaid) and defense.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                  Real cuts will be much more difficult, because the same people who want huge budget cuts are vehemently opposed to cutting social security and Medicare. The Republicans do not want to lose those votes, so they would have to cut welfare programs (including Medicaid) and defense.
                  All true, so federal employees become any easy target. Even if they cut our pay and benefits to the bone, the effect on the budget would be minuscule.

It's the entitlement programs that have be retooled.
                  I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
                    All true, so federal employees become any easy target. Even if they cut our pay and benefits to the bone, the effect on the budget would be minuscule.

It's the entitlement programs that have be retooled.
                    I think that rather than cut pay and benefits for federal employees, it might be possible to eliminate some federal agencies and thereby reduce the number of federal jobs. And cutting entitlement programs also would reduce the need for federal paper-pushers to monitor them.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                      I think that rather than cut pay and benefits for federal employees, it might be possible to eliminate some federal agencies and thereby reduce the number of federal jobs. And cutting entitlement programs also would reduce the need for federal paper-pushers to monitor them.
                      Agreed. We have over 1,300 distinct Federal Agencies in the US. I'm guessing many of them are useless and can be centralized or their responsibilities taken over by the states.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                        Imagine the Federal Budget is $365.00; They just agreed to cut $1.08 from it.......
                        All that hoopla for for nothing, guess their hoping for a placebo effect.

Comment

Originally posted by walexlouis View Post
                          All that hoopla for for nothing, guess their hoping for a placebo effect.
                          Simple math proves I'm correct with my numbers..... and makes me have a sick feeling in my stomach when I see all of them on TV gloating......

Comment

Originally posted by QuietPro View Post
                            Erik does have a valid point; Although feeling relieved, I don't feel that congress should be getting any props for finally doing their jobs; this task should have been completed 4 or 5 months ago. A band-aid has been applied, nothing more. The paitent is still in danger of hemmoraging to death.

But raise my taxes? Umm, NO......... How about getting RID of welfare and food stamps. Get RID of the job-stealing, criminal illegals......Seems to me this country was standing strong long before inititives like "The Great Society" and other assorted crap like that.
                            Far easier said than actually done. These entitlement programs have a tight grip on us and it would take decades for us to phase them out.

What we need to do right away is get rid of those who abuse and fraud the system and get benefits they do not need.
                            This show is awesome, wrapped in supercool and smothered in bitchin. The only way it could be cooler is if he was riding a unicorn or something.

M-11

Comment

How about the following changes that are humane but would cut a lot of fraud and abuse:

1. Instead of housing allowances, we provide rooms in publicly-owned facilities (like Army barracks) that are subject to search without notice.
                              2. Instead of a food allowance, we provide three meals per day at a public mess hall.
                              3. We provide basic clothing but no clothing allowance.
                              4. We require that all public assistance recipients be fingerprinted.
                              5. We require that all recipients of public assistance be subject to drug tests.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4970 users online. 300 members and 4670 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X