Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wis. corrects vote count, gives incumbent big lead

By CARRIE ANTLFINGER, Associated Press – 4 pm PDT

WAUKESHA, Wis. – A conservative-leaning Wisconsin county on Thursday corrected its count and gave an unofficial 7,500-vote lead to the incumbent in the hotly contested state Supreme Court race seen as a referendum on Republican Gov. Scott Walker's divisive union rights law.

Waukesha County Clerk Kathy Nickolaus said the votes weren't reported to The Associated Press on Tuesday due to "human error."

"This is not a case of extra votes or extra ballots being found," she said. "This is human error, which I apologize for."

Before the announcement, it was assumed 68-year-old conservative Justice David Prosser's race against liberal assistant state attorney general JoAnne Kloppenburg was headed for a recount. But Prosser's lead is likely to stand if the new numbers hold up through canvassing in all of Wisconsin's 72 counties.

Opponents of the union rights law had hoped a Kloppenburg victory would set the stage for the high court to strike it down.

Messages left with both Kloppenburg and Prosser's campaigns were not immediately returned.

The count was corrected on the first day that counties were in the process of verifying unofficial vote totals reported Tuesday. The race was so close, despite 1.5 million votes being cast, that the lead flipped back and forth repeatedly on election day and in the days after as those preliminary totals were checked and updated.

Walker told The Associated Press before details of the new votes were announced that voters will demand transparency.

"The overriding principle has got to be that every vote that was legally cast in Wisconsin needs to be counted," Walker said.

The surprise discovery of votes that could give Prosser the win and quash any recount before it starts already had liberal groups crying foul.

Nickolaus is a former Republican staff member in the Assembly Republican Caucus and has been criticized in the past by the Waukesha County Board for how she handled elections and lacked oversight over her operations.

Liberal group One Wisconsin Now issued a release highlighting those concerns.

"There is a history of secrecy and partisanship surrounding the Waukesha County Clerk and there remain unanswered questions," said the group's director Scot Ross.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Thank God.

Kloppenburg would have a disaster for this state. She's so liberal that even Obama refused to appoint her to a judge's seat. Despite working for the AG's office, she's very anti-cop.
    Originally posted by kontemplerande
    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

The righteous prevail!!! Yes indeed
      The All New
      BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
      Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
      - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Kloppenburg declared victory before the correction was announced. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VNpKvwQeJM

Comment

Lets not forget about "provisional ballots" people can register and vote on the same day to be verified later. that may knock off a few out of state union voters

Comment

Originally posted by eric_farang_bah View Post
            Lets not forget about "provisional ballots" people can register and vote on the same day to be verified later. that may knock off a few out of state union voters
            I doubt there is any way Kloppenberg can overcome ~7000 votes <whew>

Comment

Wait...y'all vote for your Surpreme Court justices in WI?
              Lt. Col. Grace - "Lt. Murphey, why are you all dressed up to mack on the ladies?"
              Me - "Sir, you just answered your own question."

Comment

From the non-main stream news, I was starting to think WI was another Chicago. Good to see they aren't.

My first thought when I saw Kloppenberg claimed a win was- "There's that many ACORN branches in WI?"
                "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

Her speech claiming victory was laughable.

Comment

Originally posted by Murf425 View Post
                    Wait...y'all vote for your Surpreme Court justices in WI?
                    Yep.

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                    Her speech claiming victory was laughable.
                    I had the displeasure of attending a training seminar in which Ms. Kloppenburg was a lecturer. It was painful to listen to her clamor on continuously about how poorly we as law enforcement officers tend to treat our prisoner's. She has been on the leading edge of numerous claims against local municipalities over issues like the jail not providing enough books or blankets that aren't warm enough. The majority of her time at the AG's office has been in environmental enforcement where she's been a true believer.

Her acceptance speech is a tell-tale sign of her beliefs. She's more than willing to jump to conclusions that please her instead of waiting for all the facts.

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
                      Her acceptance speech is a tell-tale sign of her beliefs. She's more than willing to jump to conclusions that please her instead of waiting for all the facts.
                      She struck me as someone who was living in a different universe.

Comment

I like what is going on there. SRT936 can either validate my thoughts or dismiss them. The Governor isn't just "attacking" the unions as is the theme in the news. He's asking for reasonable reductions from them. He's also attempting to cut other areas. He isn't saying the whole budget reduction is on the back of the unions. From what I see, he's trying to do the same thing the GOP is trying to do in DC.

After all, shared sacrifice is a tenet of the progressive party. In their eyes, it fails when it may negatively impact them.

Like I posted in another thread on this forum, it is amazing how Democrats will throw the unions away if it suits them. The problem is, the progressives in the unions don't see that. They don't recognize they are little more than useful idiots. As long as the elected progressives think they are needed, they'll court them. When it comes down to union members versus the entitlement crowd, which is where the true power lays, progressives will screw the union folks in a heartbeat.
                        "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                          She struck me as someone who was living in a different universe.
                          You be the judge:

Comment

Originally posted by FNA209 View Post
                            I like what is going on there. SRT936 can either validate my thoughts or dismiss them. The Governor isn't just "attacking" the unions as is the theme in the news. He's asking for reasonable reductions from them. He's also attempting to cut other areas. He isn't saying the whole budget reduction is on the back of the unions. From what I see, he's trying to do the same thing the GOP is trying to do in DC.
                            It was pretty widely known, at least in GOP circles, that the collective bargaining portion of the bill was meant as leverage to get strong concessions from the unions... initially. When the Democratic senators decided to push all-in with their little "flee to Illinois" scam, it put Walker in a tough place. If he pulled the collective bargaining language off the table, the Democrats (rightly so) would have "won" the debate and Walker would have been neutered for the remainder of his term. With the Democrats refusing to return to the senate until Walker caved, he had little wiggle room. His choice was either fold or raise. We all know how that turned out.

Walker needed to cut the budget, significantly. What doesn't get talked about at all is the nearly $2 billion in other program cuts he made along with the some of the employment provisions. Unlike the constant drum beat of the left, Walker is NOT putting the entire deficit into the union basket. Some of the cuts he made are pretty extreme and will result in lessened welfare roles and a significant decrease in BadgerCare recipients. Part of me honestly believes that Walker just pulled off a major feat of slight-of-hand. While everyone is so focused and fire-up about the collective bargaining bill, Walker slid in billions of cuts to entitlement spending that no-one seems to have even noticed yet.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4111 users online. 245 members and 3866 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X