300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you owned a business?

With so many threads about the economy, taxes, jobs, ect lets put you on the hot seat...

So, if you were to start a business what business would you open?...
    In what part of the country would you open it (city and state)?...
    How would you treat your employees?...
    Would you want your employees unionized?...

I know some here have a business on the side or own a business...
    sigpic

With the current regulations imposed on small & medium sized business I would not even begin to entertain having a business.
    Between Health Care Reform, Department Of Labor telling employees how to sue an employer and on top of that the average settlement is 250,000 dollars.

Then you have a few other Obama initiatives "Plan Prevent Protect and look at the amount of laws and regulation passed just in this current administration that effect small & mid size business. You would need to spend the majority of your time on compliance, keeping up with timelines on Healthcare Reform, Cost of Health care Reform, additional fines on 401k and on top of that have all of your employees paper work properly documented to avoid fines. To stay compliant on the new laws you would need to spend a great deal of time or money outsourcing Lawyers & Human Resource firms just to avoid fines & fees.

But if the above didn't exist I would like to own a Golf Course in Miami Flordia
    MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by Southflaguy View Post
      With so many threads about the economy, taxes, jobs, ect lets put you on the hot seat...

In what part of the country would you open it (city and state)?...
      How would you treat your employees?...
      Would you want your employees unionized?...

I know some here have a business on the side or own a business...
      I ran a computer company here in STL for a few years. Had one full timer and two part timers. I treated them like gold, because I basically hand picked them. The kind of work we did I needed people who were creative, thought out of the box, and experienced. No need for a union- they all wanted to be there, and they busted their tails. I paid them extremely well and took care of them.

Didn't really have any regulatory problems, but that's cause computer business isn't really regulated anyways. Liability insurance for the whole company for a year was cheaper than my car insurance.
      Yeah. That would go poorly. Like, on the Scale of Fail, somewhere between "Titanic" and "Chernobyl."
      --Squirrel

Comment

Start up another business? Heck no, not until after the revolution and the dictator is overthrown.

Comment

Bar.....

Economy can be in the crapper but everyone still needs a place away from the house to be with friends and drown their sorrows......

The place I own with my buddy, we are doing great biz right now.....

Comment

Ain't that the truth. Good times you drink and Bad times you drink...
            MDRDEP:

Comment

Gotta be a need for the product and a void of it where it is needed.

Then, you gotta have TONS OF MONEY in the bank and be willing to throw it all away if it doesn't work.

And forget fast food franchises. You giotta own about ten of them to make any money.

I sell a ton of tshirts and other mobilia through my website. That's about all the risk I am willing to take at this point in time.
              The All New
              BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
              Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
              - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Good answers...

Hey Jasper, what happend?...

jcioccke, *SIGH*, if you're coming to Miami open up a beach vollyball or tennis lessons (or court)...Hello, women in bikini, tennis skirts....Year round, forget about it!...

Guess opening a business overseas is the way to go, right now...
                sigpic

Comment

jcioccke, *SIGH*, if you're coming to Miami open up a beach vollyball or tennis lessons (or court)...Hello, women in bikini, tennis skirts....Year round, forget about it!...
                  I like how you think young padewon LOL

(star wars reference I think)
                  MDRDEP:

Comment

Well as someone that's somewhat of a beer snob and does home brewing as a hobby, I'd start up a small regional microbrewery. One of the few good things about Mass is that its a direct distrbution state which allows a brewer to sell directly to retail without having to go through a distributor which are sometimes favor the large national brewers over smaller regional one's..
                    "Massachusetts it's NOT All here!!!!"

Comment

Samuel Adams is still my favorite beer. Sgt I don't know you will have some tough competition in MA lol
                      MDRDEP:

Comment

I would own a Muncipal Services Business.

We would provide garbage collection, road cleaning and small maintenance , snow removal and salting in the winter.

I would go for unionized labour. In my work experiences the union employees have been the harder workers by far, you can pay a guy 16/hr to drive a truck its just a job to him he doesn't care he can get another one tomorrow. You may pay a union guy 19/hr with benefits but he will cherish the job more because he doesn't want it to go away because he has a good thing going. This is also very important because when you are contracting you're services to a city it is absolutely important that you give the best services possible to keep that contract.
                        Last edited by JD_TO; 04-07-2011, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Southflaguy View Post
                          My Cousin in Chicago owns a biz that in the summer he runs around with a welder in a van.....and he fixes shopping carts for all the big box stores....and in the winter he plows snow off parking lots....

Started by himself about 10 years ago and has 20 guys working for him now..... They have contracts all over the city for both services......

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                            Bar.....

Economy can be in the crapper but everyone still needs a place away from the house to be with friends and drown their sorrows......

The place I own with my buddy, we are doing great biz right now.....
                            Must be nice.....we are prohibited by policy (and maybe even state law) from even being a partial owner of a bar.
                            The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                              Must be nice.....we are prohibited by policy (and maybe even state law) from even being a partial owner of a bar.
                              Feds (for the most part) don't care what you do in your off time...

I know FBI won't let folks work as Attorneys/CPAs on the side.....and I suspect some others are like that....but where I am at....they don't care....

Only sad thing is I am over here in Hawaii and I can't drink at my place for free....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2931 users online. 171 members and 2760 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X