X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Southflaguy
    Still praying...
    • Feb 2008

Governmet shutdown?!...

What's up with this government shutdown?...Is it all hype or the real deal?...
    sigpic
  • FNA209
    We Patrol Night and Day
    • Apr 2003

It's political theater at its best. The progressives think they can turn it to their advantage. The GOP thinks they can gain something from it. Both sides are advocating their stance. I don't know who the winner will be.
    "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

• KapsFB
      Forum Member
      • May 2005

Originally posted by FNA209
      It's political theater at its best. The progressives think they can turn it to their advantage. The GOP thinks they can gain something from it. Both sides are advocating their stance. I don't know who the winner will be.
      Nobody.

One side wants about 60 billion cuts, the other about 30. Make it 45 billion and call it a day for Godssake!!! Either way the amount is trifling considering the national debt amount. Bunch of idiots.
      sigpic
      Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
      And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

• Bounce
        Forum Member
        • May 2009

in 1995 we went through something similar. what was lacking then was the backdrop of national bankruptcy and economic doom.

in that case there were critical people who came to work for the (month) everything was unbudgeted and the rest stayed home. NO ONE got paid while there wasn't a budget. EVERYONE was on the phone with creditors making arrangements for late payments, etc.

Once the budget was passed, those who had been working got their back pay automatically. Those who hadn't been working finally got paid when congress voted to do so.

This time around they may choose NOT to pay those who were forced to stay home.

Comment

• GoldBadge
          Forum Member
          • May 2005

Originally posted by Bounce
          This time around they may choose NOT to pay those who were forced to stay home.
          I'll bet that this will be the case.

Comment

• Bounce
            Forum Member
            • May 2009

the official word. everyone will be notified by 4/8 if they are to stay home or come in (unpaid either way).

Comment

• OneAdam12
              Conservitum Americum
              • Dec 2010

I agree, it's all pollitical theater. I wonder what would happen when government shuts down. Do republicans all join hands and sing We are the world? Do democrats instanly freeze in their tracks because no one is telling them what to do?
              Do birds still fly?
              Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

• Bearcat357
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Bounce
                http://www.opm.gov/furlough2011/

the official word. everyone will be notified by 4/8 if they are to stay home or come in (unpaid either way).
                Yippiee...!!

Comment

• needguidance
                  Forum Member
                  • Nov 2009

It is a bunch of BS! The same thing happend in NY (not a shut down just the children cannot play nice together).

The people who should stay home are the ones in Congress who do not want to negotiate. They should be sent home, no pay and even fined for not coming to an agreement by the deadline!

World_So_Cold

Comment

• EmmaPeel
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2011

I think it's real, and I hope it is (for the record, my checkbook is also affected). As someone who's spent a lot of years practicing the art of negotiation, you have to have the kahones to not blink, no matter how painful the result is, if your long term goal is a worthy one. You also have to be willing to take all the heat that comes with the "win." Our country's financial situation is at a point where someone's got to be willing to do this. In fact, Paul Ryan yesterday finally did IT. He proposed a very painful $6Trillion dollar CUT to the DEBT, not DEFICIT, over 10 years, putting spending back to 20% of GDP where it belongs to keep our financial system, inflation, unemployment, and all those barometers at healthy levels. I completely support him - and his plan will spread a little pain among all of us, such as no more mortgage deductions. I don't agree with every single thing in his proposal but it's EXACTLY what will turn this country's financial problems around. It will send the message to all those "evil" bond holders and rich people who finance our country's largesse that we are still the best place to dump all your money....to therefore prop up all our other financial needs.
                    Last edited by EmmaPeel; 04-06-2011, 03:27 PM.

Comment

• EmmaPeel
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2011

Oh, and loving all the scare tactics being pulled out of the Halloween trunk from 1995, plus some extra ones. Like saying old people won't get their medicare and medicaid or social security. The fact is, Ryan's proposal exempts everyone over 55 in those three areas.

In 1995 Americans were easily scared but 15 years later the public is so much more informed and educated, especially since so many people have engaged in small business activity where they've had to learn basics of finance, and I believe the folks "doing the heavy lifting" will take a lot of blows, but people will be smart enough to credit them this time.
                      Last edited by EmmaPeel; 04-06-2011, 03:12 PM.

Comment

• Rudy8116
                        G-14 Classified
                        • Jul 2009

Ehh, lock the leaders of both sides in a room, put guns to their heads, things will get worked out.
                        I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

• DAL
                          "Official Non-Person"
                          • Dec 2005

My sense is that a shutdown would hurt Republicans more than Democrats.
                          Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                          Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• EmmaPeel
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by DAL
                            My sense is that a shutdown would hurt Republicans more than Democrats.
                            Probably would. That's my definition of courage and integrity though: doing the right thing even when it hurts. I engage in it all the time and even when I didn't care about the material impact of doing the unpopular thing, I found in the long run I was always rewarded anyway. Materialistically that is. Spiritually, there's nothing more satisfying than to do the right thing, not give a sh** what other people think, and going home and liking what you see in the mirror.

Comment

• DAL
                              "Official Non-Person"
                              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by EmmaPeel
                              Probably would. That's my definition of courage and integrity though: doing the right thing even when it hurts. I engage in it all the time and even when I didn't care about the material impact of doing the unpopular thing, I found in the long run I was always rewarded anyway. Materialistically that is. Spiritually, there's nothing more satisfying than to do the right thing, not give a sh** what other people think, and going home and liking what you see in the mirror.
                              It is hardly obvious that the effects of a shutdown would be beneficial.
                              Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 19237 users online. 49 members and 19188 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...