Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Republican Governor calls Police/Firefighters Greedy

http://www.northjersey.com/news/0303...ate_House.html
    Thousands of police, firefighters rally at State House; Christie calls them greedy

Governor Christie called New Jersey police and firefighters greedy and said their mass protest in Trenton on Thursday would play “absolutely zero” role in the ongoing debate over public worker benefits.

The governor, speaking during a news conference inside the State House as thousands of unionized police and firefighters rallied outside, said the unions are refusing to compromise on contracts that pay expensive benefits taxpayers can no longer afford.

“They’re choosing their own greed over the betterment of the public,” he said.
    New Jersey firefighters and police protest pension and benefits reform in front of the State House.
    CHRIS PEDOTA / STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER
    Buy this photo
    New Jersey firefighters and police protest pension and benefits reform in front of the State House.

Another group of public workers, including teachers, rallied in Trenton last week, but Christie said the demonstrations won’t affect his decisions on benefits reform.

“Zero. Absolutely zero,” he said Thursday.

Christie is one of several governors nationwide trying to balance their budgets by reducing the cost of government workers. The new budget the New Jersey governor proposed last month calls for more education aid and property tax relief, but also for health benefit and pension cuts for public workers.

And last year he worked with lawmakers to enact a property tax cap and new interest arbitration rules that public safety unions opposed.

The unions claim that the budget cuts and other fiscal measures put in place since Christie took office last year are compromising public services and safety — something the governor said is simply not true.

“Enough is enough,” said Steve Olimpio, president of Paterson’s Policemen’s Benevolent Association No. 1, during Thursday’s protest. About 120 members of his union were in Trenton to oppose proposed layoffs in Paterson.

“Right now, we’re hurting in Paterson,” he said.

Anthony Wieners, president of New Jersey PBA, echoed the catchphrase from Christie’s budget message by saying, “The new normal in New Jersey is New Jersey has a crime problem.”

Towns across the state have been cutting back their police and fire departments. Camden has laid off half of its police force, and Paterson is planning to cut 159 officers.

“Do you feel safer with 3,400 less officers on the street,” Weiners asked the crowd.

At one point while Wieners was speaking, footage of Christie talking about holding politicians accountable was played over two large video screens, and a chant of “liar, liar” nearly drowned out the sound of the governor’s voice.

The crowd attending the rally filled the front of the State House and spilled across State Street into the World War II memorial and surrounding park. Most wore hats or coats representing the towns and departments they serve, and many firefighters wore helmets and other gear.

Some carried signs, including one that read “2001=Heroes, 2011=Zeroes.”

Teaneck firefighter Jack Demczuk attended the rally with his wife and two young daughters. He said the 30 percent contribution to health care costs proposed by Christie would break his family budget.

“We can’t afford it,” Demczuk said. “You don’t change the rules in the middle of the game.”

Many Democratic lawmakers addressed the rally, including state Senate Majority Leader Barbara Buono of Middlesex County.

“I’m getting pretty tired of hearing the governor blame all of New Jersey’s budget problems on public workers,” she said. “I think the governor’s going after the wrong people.”
    What is Perseverance?
    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Christie calls all the government workers greedy. He especially goes after teachers.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

In Indiana it would be the "privleged elite" according to our own Gov. Mitch Daniels. The public school teachers here are also getting beat up pretty good.

http://www.journalgazette.net/articl...0/1044/LOCAL08

Comment

Taxpayers in New Jersey, and around the country, should review the legislation of Christine Todd Whitman, a Republican Gov of NJ in the '90s
        The huge pension shortfall is in no small part thanks to her

They should be really wary that another Republican Gov is promising to "fix" things with similar moves now

Comment

Wow, what a spin. In fact, more than spin since he actually didn't call the police greedy.

Comment

Originally posted by dlo View Post
            Taxpayers in New Jersey, and around the country, should review the legislation of Christine Todd Whitman, a Republican Gov of NJ in the '90s
            The huge pension shortfall is in no small part thanks to her

They should be really wary that another Republican Gov is promising to "fix" things with similar moves now
            Therefore, it should not be fixed? How is a reduction in benefits similar to decreasing contributions? Or only Democrats can fix it? Would they?

Comment

I thought all Republicans are cop friendly? Say it ain't so!
              Neither a Republican nor Democrat, both parties are hopelessly flawed.

RIP to all my fallen brothers and sisters in blue I hope one day I can live up to your legacies because you live forever in my mind.

To anyone non-LEO don't get it twisted. Us officers may disagree on politics, sports, and any other issue but we will always be brothers and sisters at the end of the day and have each others back. To think otherwise is stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by MeBPD View Post
                I thought all Republicans are cop friendly? Say it ain't so!
                Republicans are pro-law-enforcement but not generally in favor of high salary and benefits. I believe that there is a thread about typical police salaries plus benefits in New Jersey being the highest in the country. Many municipalities have laid off police officers because of lack of funding.

Comment

Originally posted by JasperST View Post
                  Wow, what a spin. In fact, more than spin since he actually didn't call the police greedy.
                  Actually for once the papers got it right. He did call the workers greedy. He held a public conference at the same time the rally started (pure coincidence) and called it a "me first" rally. Meaning me, the fatcat public worker, before all you taxpayers, my money, my benefits, mine, mine, mine. And of course this guy sang a completely different tune when he ran for governor, "I will not touch your pensions if elected." RIGHT.

DAL

He is trying to reduce benefits and increase worker contribution for all state employees, at this point it is needed to save the system. All police & fire contibute 8.5%, the rest of the state workers should do the same. He also wants a rookie who makes 32k pay 30% of his healthcare. Paying 30% of your healthcare plan is excessive, especially if you have a family on the plan. But, we wouldn't even be in this mess if it wasn't for Whitman back in the 90's, her practices sunk the pension down the tubes. Christie is trying to reduce benefits, but he is also contributing a whopping 0 dollars to the system which is making the problem worse.

Whitman contributed less money, and allowed all towns to not pay into the system as well, to show the public she balanced the budget. This created the pension problem. Christie is doing the same EXACT thing. He has a seemingly "balanced" budget for now, and he better hope his policies don't come back to bite him before his re-election comes up. The national guard was called into Camden on at least one occasion and it hasn't hit the press. Sooner or later the crime will spill into the nice suburbs.

Comment

Originally posted by PoliceProspect View Post
                    Actually for once the papers got it right. He did call the workers greedy. He held a public conference at the same time the rally started (pure coincidence) and called it a "me first" rally. Meaning me, the fatcat public worker, before all you taxpayers, my money, my benefits, mine, mine, mine. And of course this guy sang a completely different tune when he ran for governor, "I will not touch your pensions if elected." RIGHT.

DAL

He is trying to reduce benefits and increase worker contribution for all state employees, at this point it is needed to save the system. All police & fire contibute 8.5%, the rest of the state workers should do the same. He also wants a rookie who makes 32k pay 30% of his healthcare. Paying 30% of your healthcare plan is excessive, especially if you have a family on the plan. But, we wouldn't even be in this mess if it wasn't for Whitman back in the 90's, her practices sunk the pension down the tubes. Christie is trying to reduce benefits, but he is also contributing a whopping 0 dollars to the system which is making the problem worse.

Whitman contributed less money, and allowed all towns to not pay into the system as well, to show the public she balanced the budget. This created the pension problem. Christie is doing the same EXACT thing. He has a seemingly "balanced" budget for now, and he better hope his policies don't come back to bite him before his re-election comes up. The national guard was called into Camden on at least one occasion and it hasn't hit the press. Sooner or later the crime will spill into the nice suburbs.
                    Jersey has had a parade of Republican Governors who played fast and loose with the state pension funds, which resulted in the massive gap....

And now they have a Republican Governor blaming the workers

Comment

Sure would suck if they had to pay 100%! Like many Americans do - such as small business owners.

One has only to know the salaries NJ guys make and suddenly all the pain goeas away.

They can afford it. Trust me.
                      The All New
                      BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                      Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                      - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

bingo!!

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
                        Sure would suck if they had to pay 100%! Like many Americans do - such as small business owners.

One has only to know the salaries NJ guys make and suddenly all the pain goeas away.

They can afford it. Trust me.
                        yeah, like me. im paying 100% of everything. from my hard calloused hands to my mouth. providing for the kids 100%. so when i applied and asked for a measly used tractor for the first time. i got turned down and the big banks got bailed out! that's it. i never will have to do anything with gov. except that im paying taxes that they're robbing me in front of everybody.to pay the public workers for their retirements and bennies.
                        break censorship chains

Comment

Jersey has had a parade of Republican Governors who played fast and loose with the state pension funds, which resulted in the massive gap....

And now they have a Republican Governor blaming the workers
                          who are paid more than anywhere else in the country.

The way defined benefit pensions work, the state's liability is proportional to the worker's highest salary.

PS: New Jersey had Democrat governors, too. Why didn't they fix the pension problems?
                          Last edited by DAL; 04-03-2011, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                            who are paid more than anywhere else in the country.

The way defined benefit pensions work, the state's liability is proportional to the worker's highest salary.

PS: New Jersey had Democrat governors, too. Why didn't they fix the pension problems?
                            And have a higher cost of living than most of the other parts of the country.
                            I'd bet that private sector employees in NJ are also paid more than their counterparts in the Midwest, on average
                            Is that wrong ?

they have tried
                            the most recent Democratic Governors have attempted to catch up on pension fund contributions, which had been stopped under the previous Republican Governors.
                            but since the pension funds are projected and intended to grow at a compounded rate, just like most retirement accounts, it is the funding that was ceased 10-15 years ago that has the biggest influence on the size of that fund now

Comment

And have a higher cost of living than most of the other parts of the country.
                              I'd bet that private sector employees in NJ are also paid more than their counterparts in the Midwest, on average
                              Is that wrong ?
                              First of all, I note that, as usual, you shift from "highest" to "higher" and from "most" to "Midwest." Do you think that others are so stupid that they won't notice and accept your equating very different terms.

Second, what private sector employees are paid is the business of their private sector employers, not the government. Furthermore, salaries in the private sector are not determined by campaign contributions to politicians and union extortion.

Paying the salaries that public sector employees receive in New Jersey is wrong because the state cannot afford them, even with ultra-high taxes, and because the salaries are unnecessary. NYPD pays substantially less than police departments in northern New Jersey, even though the cost of living is lower in New Jersey and the two areas are separated only by the Hudson River. My parents were forced to sell their house in New Jersey because they could not afford the property taxes, which escalated every year. The local government raised taxes so they would not have to lay off teachers who the school board admitted were unneeded, and hired government workers based on nepotism rather than merit.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6328 users online. 348 members and 5980 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X