300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama blames oil companies for risin prices

One thing you have to give obama credit for, it's sticking to the play book.

In his press conference to discuss gas prices, President Obama was rather defensive, straining to counter the notion that his administration has been unfriendly to oil drilling, something most people would like to see a lot more of these days.

Where do people get that notion? Perhaps his Interior Department appealing a judge’s ruling that it act on several pending deepwater permits had something to with it.

Obama claimed repeatedly that he is not against drilling, then made the following comments:

There is more we can do, however. For example, right now, the (oil) industry holds leases on tens of millions of acres — both offshore and on land — where they aren’t producing a thing. So I’ve directed the Interior Department to determine just how many of these leases are going undeveloped and report back to me within two weeks so that we can encourage companies to develop the leases they hold and produce American energy. People deserve to know that the energy they depend on is being developed in a timely manner.

He wants us to believe his administration which is actively blocking oil product has nothing to do with the fact it isn't being produced. Instead, blame the oil companies.

And people still believe him.
    "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Being that my husband works for one of those oil drilling companies I have SOME knowledge on parts of this. His company is leased out to a LARGE oil corporation,such as Exxon,for a certain amount of years. This last contract was for 5 years. (This was about a year ago.) That company already knows how many holes that rig is going to drill in that area in that amount of years. He's on a directional drilling rig so it not only drills straight down 38,000 feet,it also will drill sideways if the straight down hole produces nothing. The rig will be torn down after all areas are drilled,and moved,even if only moved 25 feet. He's been in N.Dakota for over 4 years now and the rig has moved many many times and has moved over a 40 mile radius in that time.

Although the rig may stay in one spot for up to a month,it's drilled East,West,North and South as far down as 38,000 feet in each direction. It doesn't always drill for oil. It also drills for natural gas. (VERY dangerous at those times!) So in a month,one drilling rig in reality has gotten everything out of the earth that it can and moves on. Doesn't mean it hasn't produced anything. I think the president needs to go spend a week with the roughnecks on a rig before he claims nothing is being produced. It can cost the large oil company up to a million dollars a DAY to run one rig and non-production is a loss of that money,which they don't take to lightly or happily.

MY husband just got his first raise in 5 years a few weeks ago,as did the rest of the crews,due to his company trying to cut costs.

It's one of those situations where the oil companies aren't trying to do the job of President and he shouldn't try to do theirs! Drilling for oil and gas is out of his knowledge scope as is LE for most of us citizens. As I said,one week on a rig at the site with the roughnecks,drillers,toolpushers and company men,along with the safety hands,would do our president a world of good! And staying in the man camp would open his eyes to how these men live for 14 days in a row,12 hour shifts,what it takes to work on a rig and stay alive. My husbands' rig has had no accidents involving workers being hurt in almost 5 years. That in itself is a full time job.

And this is why I've never voted and am not Republican or Democrat.
    I'm old......that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by wyofirebirdbaby View Post
      I am so totally not getting the connection with not voting. Or why you feel that's a good answer for our future.

Comment

Being that my husband works for one of those oil drilling companies I have SOME knowledge on parts of this. His company is leased out to a LARGE oil corporation,such as Exxon,for a certain amount of years. This last contract was for 5 years. (This was about a year ago.) That company already knows how many holes that rig is going to drill in that area in that amount of years. He's on a directional drilling rig so it not only drills straight down 38,000 feet,it also will drill sideways if the straight down hole produces nothing. The rig will be torn down after all areas are drilled,and moved,even if only moved 25 feet. He's been in N.Dakota for over 4 years now and the rig has moved many many times and has moved over a 40 mile radius in that time.

Although the rig may stay in one spot for up to a month,it's drilled East,West,North and South as far down as 38,000 feet in each direction. It doesn't always drill for oil. It also drills for natural gas. (VERY dangerous at those times!) So in a month,one drilling rig in reality has gotten everything out of the earth that it can and moves on. Doesn't mean it hasn't produced anything. I think the president needs to go spend a week with the roughnecks on a rig before he claims nothing is being produced. It can cost the large oil company up to a million dollars a DAY to run one rig and non-production is a loss of that money,which they don't take to lightly or happily.

MY husband just got his first raise in 5 years a few weeks ago,as did the rest of the crews,due to his company trying to cut costs.

It's one of those situations where the oil companies aren't trying to do the job of President and he shouldn't try to do theirs! Drilling for oil and gas is out of his knowledge scope as is LE for most of us citizens. As I said,one week on a rig at the site with the roughnecks,drillers,toolpushers and company men,along with the safety hands,would do our president a world of good! And staying in the man camp would open his eyes to how these men live for 14 days in a row,12 hour shifts,what it takes to work on a rig and stay alive. My husbands' rig has had no accidents involving workers being hurt in almost 5 years. That in itself is a full time job.

It doesn't matter what he says, you would find some way to try to turn it around and make it look bad. That is why I don't watch Faux News, and that is why I don't waste my time reading the majority of your useless posts.
        What is Perseverance?
        -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
        -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
        -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Reduced domestic drilling has very, very little to do with rising gas prices...

Comment

Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
            It doesn't matter what he says, you would find some way to try to turn it around and make it look bad. That is why I don't watch Faux News, and that is why I don't waste my time reading the majority of your useless posts.
            And that's your right. You completely lost me as I have nothing to turn around and try to make look bad.

Put me on ignore as that's what it's for. Not all feel as you do while some do. I'm sorry you wasted your time in not only reading it but answering.

What the OP stated I was only supporting not turning it around. How'd you come up with that? Make what look bad? I in fact believe it's you who has everything turned around.

I do this time have some knowledge on this subject and am only pointing out that Obamas statement that they aren't producing a thing is wrong! The 1 time the rig my husband is on produced a dry well the oil company threatened to release them from their contract if there was another dry well anytime soon! Yet the oil company has the geologists who claim oil/gas should be in certain areas but it's up to the drilling rig to actually find it. No production,no getting to keep that rig out in that field so Obamas statement was wrong and the OP knew that. How it got twisted around into my making it look bad is beyond me.

And I don't even care anymore. You can say what you please. Debate class is over for me.
            Last edited by wyofirebirdbaby; 03-20-2011, 11:51 AM. Reason: add on.
            I'm old......that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by JasperST View Post
              I am so totally not getting the connection with not voting. Or why you feel that's a good answer for our future.
              The only connection to not voting is that MY opinion counts not at all. I'm not involved in politics and have no interest in getting that way and uninformed people with a total lack of interest in it shouldn't vote as uninformed voting can be as bad as not voting at all. This applys to just how I feel.

I never said it was a good answer for our future! I really hope others involve themselves enough to vote responsibly and so far everything's been ok without my votes,so I don't plan on changing my views. My God given right to do so. I simply don't care enough about it to put out the effort for my vote to not count anyway. I don't complain about how the country is being run as it'd count as much as my vote and I most definately couldn't do a better job than the President does. I go along with laws passed and have some views on an issue or two but I don't attend protests or write letters to my congressman. Most of my state voted against Obama but their votes mattered not at all and mine would have made no differance one way or another.

If people are to be involved in politics it needs to start early in life. My mother was Republican and my dad a Democrat and their fights were attrocious over such a stupid matter that it turned me against politics by the time I was 7! Their differances in religious views was almost as bad and I don't attend church now as an adult but I'm very close to God and that's all that matters.

What I do in my life should in no way dictate how others behave.

Nor would I want it to.
              Last edited by wyofirebirdbaby; 03-20-2011, 11:37 AM. Reason: added last line.
              I'm old......that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by dlo View Post
                Be that as it may,working for the 4th largest drilling company in the world means there is SOME involvement in everything that has to do with the world of petroleum products. If every drilling rig in the world quit drilling I think it may have a lot to do with gas prices somewhere along the line.

Last time gas prices went sky high a lot of rigs stacked out and stayed that way for a very long time and his being laid off was a very real possibility. His brother was and still is unemployed. Somehow they seem to go hand in hand although the order in what happens and how isn't something I know.

The OP stated in dark black letters that the oil industry (which my husband is involved in) holds leases of lots and lots of acres........both offshore and inland. Let's see,my husband works inland but his buddy works for same company on an offshore rig in S.Africa. Allegedly both of those rigs are producing nothing. I know different. If Obama has people on it it must be affecting something somewhere,these darned domestic drilling rigs anyway. These large oil companys like Exxon and so on don't own these drilling rigs,they simply find the drilling companies with the highest production and safety stats and offer them contracts for so many years as long as they continue to produce and stay safe. These rigs most definately play their part in the gas prices.

I imagine the tool pushers and company hands know where the oil they find,and gas too, may be going but I don't believe the roughnecks themselves know. They are just there to do a job,and a very well paid one at that,because they're good at it,like the pay and like having 14 or 30 days off after working 14 or 30 days in a row. I know that personally my husband is in favor of the U.S. producing,storing and using it's own oil and gas. And yes the American people deserve to know what all these rigs are doing,how well they're doing it and how quickly.

I'll freely admit I'm an idiot on a lot of subjects and I certainly don't know everything about this and am no expert but I can guarantee you that I know enough on this subject to not just be spouting off nonsense. The OP stated that Obama wants us to believe his administration which is actively blocking oil product has nothing to do with the fact it isn't being produced. Instead,blame it on the oil companies. I was coming to the defense of the drilling companies,which make the oil companies look like they do, in a matter that is being stated falsely. These drilling rigs are producing something or the oil company releases them from the contract and finds another drilling company.

I was fully supporting the OP in his facts and providing some proof that Obama is making either uninformed or false staements concerning the oil industry,which involves a lot more than just the oil companies themselves! Give me credit when credit is due for knowing something I'm talking about. For once.
                I'm old......that's all.

Comment

If you don't vote, then you don't have a voice. Also, in my opinion if you don't vote then you are in no position to complain about your government; you gave that up when you stayed home on election day.

Comment

I worked security for the pipline at the main office in ANC and saw some interesting stuff. I have no doubt in my mind that oil companies do have some control over it. Maybe not all but some. How many other industries have been caught price fixing? Why would this be no different?
                    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Obama thinks that the oil companies should follow his lead and lose enormous sums of money.
                      Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                      Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Whens the last time that A hole bought a gallon of gas........
                        Retired LASD

Comment

Originally posted by Retired96 View Post
                          Whens the last time that A hole bought a gallon of gas........
                          raw production in the US has nothing to do with the high price of gas at the moment

blaming Obama isn't going to change that

Comment

Don't forget this little tidbit

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ast-year-was-/
                            Barack Obama says U.S. oil production last year was highest since 2003

Comment

You love making bald assertions as though the were facts without backing them up. Don't you? Like these two.

Originally posted by dlo View Post
                              raw production in the US has nothing to do with the high price of gas at the moment
                              While the price of oil is in a large part driven by the futures market and not the actual cost per barrel your pronouncements of truth are misleading. The effects that domestic drilling and US oil production both current and projected have on the futures market and therefore the price of a gallon of gas are very real.

In the summer of 2008 the national price for a gallon of gas was $4.099. During that summer Congress yielded to presidential leadership and allowed the ban against drilling in the Gulf of Mexico and to expire and within 6 months the price of gasoline dropped to $1.499.

Now after two years of Obama's policies gas prices are back up to $3.559. This is following Obama's cancelling of oil leases in Utah and issuing an executive order banning drilling in the Gulf of Mexico. The futures markets reaction to the policies of the Obama administration were quick and forseeable.

Don't forget this little tidbit

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ast-year-was-/
                              Barack Obama says U.S. oil production last year was highest since 2003
                              While the statement that Obama made has some truth both his statement and your reliance on it are misleading at best. Obama is attempting to equate his administration with the increased levels of oil production. That is just not true. The lead time from lease to production is five to seven years which would place the credit for current production levels squarely in the middle of the Bush administration. Further you seemed to have completely ignored the last two paragraphs to the article that you linked to. The Energy Information Agency projects that oil production will decline by 110,000 barrels a day this year and another 130,000 barrels a day next year. Politifact.com rates the Presidents statement as only mostly true. So much for telling the American public the whole truth. His statements sound like spin to me.
                              When Society makes war on its police, it better be prepared to make friends of its criminals.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6195 users online. 353 members and 5842 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X