Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Someone please explainto me how France thinks...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone please explainto me how France thinks...

France did little to help the US in Afghanistan/Iraq. They typically hand wring or pompously lecture if the US even considers military action. All that changed with Libya...relatively speaking they advocated for and commenced bombing at lightining speed in comparison. Sure whacky Khadafy slaughters his own people but so did/does Saddam Hussein and a bunch of other dictators.

I don't get it...
    Last edited by BrickCop; 03-19-2011, 07:30 PM.
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Trying to make up for not helping in Afghan/Iraq

Comment

What better way is there to rescue your wimp status? So now the Germans are the wallflowers. Weird times.

Comment

Perhaps France is concerned that Libyans will be seeking asylum. The leader of the right-wing party already went to Italy to let the Libyan refugees know they are not welcome in France. An election is coming up, so Sarkozy needs to look tough.
        Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio5-0 View Post
          Trying to make up for not helping in Afghan/Iraq
          I doubt the French feel particularly guilty about Iraq.
          especially since it was a bit of a cluster - and the whole WMD thing

I think the French Gov looked a little inept during the uprising in Tunisia, where they have a long history as a former colonial power. So they are making conspicuous efforts in Libya.
          They may also be concerned that the disorder in Libya could spill over to Tunisia, which is still slightly unraveled from their revolt in January

Comment

France has been moving more conservative, President Sarkozy is center right and in a new polls the far right leader Marie La Pen is beating him. At the same time we elected Obama…
            Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
              Perhaps France is concerned that Libyans will be seeking asylum. The leader of the right-wing party already went to Italy to let the Libyan refugees know they are not welcome in France. An election is coming up, so Sarkozy needs to look tough.
              Makes sense...
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Magic Matt View Post
                France has been moving more conservative, President Sarkozy is center right and in a new polls the far right leader Marie La Pen is beating him. At the same time we elected Obama…
                ^^^This plus the French have a lot more direct interests up in those northern parts of Africa. Also as dlo said about their history in Tunisia.

Comment

It seems like France only uses military might when they are threatened or to protect their foreign interests. As for the Germans, many still frown upon military service let alone going to war but it seems like that's largely due to the fact that they are still ashamed of their past.
                  Life is what you make of it

Comment

I am not complaining. As much as I dislike Gadhafi, I am not in favor of the US being involved in any major fashion. I believe in freedom and democracy, but I don't care about some third world African country that much to want to get involved in a third conflict. If France and the British want to take the lead then I wish them luck.

P.S. Where are all of those Arab countries that were talking tough and supporting the no-fly zone?
                    Last edited by Cyber_Saint; 03-20-2011, 12:20 AM.

Comment

I don't see a clear-cut reason for France being so involved in Libya. They had good relations with the government. They don't get a lot of oil from Libya. Libya wasn't a former French colony so any war has a minimal impact on France immigration from Libya.

Maybe as some have said, a stable region will have a benefit to France. Libya is close to former French colonies and maybe the French figure that any egress of Libyans to Algeria will cause more immigration of Algerians to France. They can immigrate relatively easily. It's clear France is having issues with her immigrants, I doubt they want more.

Other pundits say it's base politics of the part of the French president. I hear his numbers are low. I'm sure it's actually a combination of several things.
                      "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

Originally posted by BrickCop View Post
                        France did little to help the US in Afghanistan/Iraq.
                        Errr..... You do realize @ one time, The French had a wee bit over 3,000 troops in A-Stan..... making them the fourth largest contingent in the NATO coalition......

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                          Errr..... You do realize @ one time, The French had a wee bit over 3,000 troops in A-Stan..... making them the fourth largest contingent in the NATO coalition......
                          Point well taken but we're still there and they're not, correct(?)

BTW given recent events I find it ironic that France refused the US flyover their airspace to bomb Libya circa '86.
                          Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

Point well taken but we're still there and they're not, correct(?)

As far as I can tell, they are still there along with 15 Aircraft of different types.... The big brew-ha was that NATO wanted them to add more troops but they refused..... and are at the current level of 3000 troops..... Training Afgan security forces.....

BTW given recent events I find it ironic that France refused the US flyover their airspace to bomb Libya circa '86.
                            Good point....but that was then....this is now in my book.......

Most folks don't realize that Europe really, really relies on the Light Crude the Libya produces.....due to the types of refineries they have in Europe..... if D-Bag stops shipping, it's going to hurt them.....

Comment

Originally posted by MD11pilot View Post
                              It seems like France only uses military might when they are threatened or to protect their foreign interests....
                              Exactly, like every other nation does, including ours.
                              FHP:

1) APPLICATION: 03/2010
                              2) PAT: 06/2010 PASSED
                              3) POLYGRAPH: 11/2010 PASSED
                              4) PSYCHOLOGICAL: 1/2011 PASSED
                              5) MEDICAL AND VISION: 2/2011 PASSED
                              6) BACKGROUND: PENDING
                              7) COLONEL'S DECISION: PENDING
                              8) ACADEMY: PENDING

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4875 users online. 290 members and 4585 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X