Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotary International responds to Huckabee's xenophobia

Stresses humanitarian group's global scope, diverse membership

EVANSTON, Ill., March 10, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Rotary International General Secretary Ed Futa has contacted FOXNews personality Mike Huckabee to remind the former Arkansas governor that Rotary clubs -- established in the United States more than a century ago -- now thrive in more than 200 countries.

The letter comes in response to a statement made by Huckabee in a March 2 radio interview that most Americans "grew up in communities filled with Rotary clubs, not madrassas (Islamic seminaries)," during a critical assessment of President Barack Obama's "world view." Obama spent a portion of his childhood in Indonesia, home to the world's largest Muslim population. It also is home to about 89 Rotary clubs.

While stressing that Rotary is a non-political humanitarian service organization that does not take sides in partisan debates, Futa said he wanted to clarify to Huckabee and the public that Rotary is an international institution that transcends the boundaries of any one country and welcomes as club members business and professional leaders representing all faiths, races and cultures.

In the letter emailed to Huckabee's FOXNews address March 8, Futa agreed that Rotary "has maintained a solid presence in thousands of U.S. communities, large and small," since the organization was founded in Chicago in 1905. The United States has more than 7,850 Rotary clubs with a total membership of about 353,000 men and women, the most in the world.

"But that's only part of the Rotary story, and to leave it at that might create the erroneous impression that Rotary's reach and impact are limited to the United States," Futa wrote, adding that more than two thirds of Rotary's 1.2 million members now live outside of the United States.

Among Muslim-majority states, Turkey has the most Rotary clubs with 223, totaling about 6,000 members. Pakistan is second with 155 clubs and more than 3,000 members, followed by Malaysia, 109 clubs; Indonesia, 89 clubs; and Egypt, 74 clubs. Others include Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Bahrain, Jordan, Morocco, and United Arab Emirates. In 2010, a Rotary club was chartered in Palestine.

India, where the population is 80 percent Hindu, is the second largest Rotary nation with 3,000 clubs and 112,000 members. Japan, largely Shinto/Buddhist, and Brazil, mostly Roman Catholic, follow with about 2,300 clubs each. Israel, where the state religion is Judaism, is home to 59 Rotary clubs.

Rotary is an organization of business and professional leaders who provide humanitarian service and help to build goodwill and peace in the world. There are 1.2 million Rotary members in 33,000 Rotary clubs in more than 200 countries and geographical areas. Rotary clubs have been serving communities worldwide for more than a century.

http://www.rotary.org/en/MediaAndNew...ridefault.aspx
    good for them.

I imagine as 2012 gets closer, the misinformation campaign about Obama's background, and the general effort to characterize him as a foreigner, will only intensify.

too bad conservatives don't think they can win on a campaign of the real issues.
    and/or without pandering to the "birther base"

It's a nice the Rotary Club embraces the "We are the World" response, but it does little to invalidate Huckabee's statement. He said most Americans "grew up in communities filled with Rotary clubs, not madrassas (Islamic seminaries). I doubt he was wrong. While I'm sure the Rotary Club thinks they do good deeds, the fact they have a lot of Non-American clubs around the world doesn't refute his claim.
    "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

Originally posted by FNA209 View Post
      It's a nice the Rotary Club embraces the "We are the World" response, but it does little to invalidate Huckabee's statement. He said most Americans "grew up in communities filled with Rotary clubs, not madrassas (Islamic seminaries).
      Yep, I think some people can't read if you inflame their emotions. That seems to substitute well enough for "news" these days.

Comment

Originally posted by FNA209 View Post
        It's a nice the Rotary Club embraces the "We are the World" response, but it does little to invalidate Huckabee's statement. He said most Americans "grew up in communities filled with Rotary clubs, not madrassas (Islamic seminaries). I doubt he was wrong. While I'm sure the Rotary Club thinks they do good deeds, the fact they have a lot of Non-American clubs around the world doesn't refute his claim.
        well..... Rotary International never claimed Huckabee's statement was technically invalid
        they just found the underlying message troublesome.
        And I guess didn't like Huckabee dragging their name into his xenophobic, politically oriented attempt to bad-mouth a sitting President

if you want to get hung up on technicalities - you may still be wrong.
        Rotary says they have 7,850 clubs in America.
        Do you think "most Americans" grew up in one of those 7,850 communities ?
        possibly.
        but I imagine there are many, many more than 7,850 communities in the US
        depending on how large you define a "community"

Comment

Originally posted by dlo View Post
          well..... Rotary International never claimed Huckabee's statement was technically invalid
          they just found the underlying message troublesome.
          And I guess didn't like Huckabee dragging their name into his xenophobic, politically oriented attempt to bad-mouth a sitting President

if you want to get hung up on technicalities - you may still be wrong.
          Rotary says they have 7,850 clubs in America.
          Do you think "most Americans" grew up in one of those 7,850 communities ?
          possibly.
          but I imagine there are many, many more than 7,850 communities in the US
          depending on how large you define a "community"
          No, but I'm willing to bet most Americans grew up in like minded communities. Probably ones that didn't have large Islamic populations of Islamic schools. Rotary Clubs are the norm, Islamic schools and such aren't.
          "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

Most Americans grew in in a community where it was a big deal when McDonalds opened up! And Wal Mart!!!
            The All New
            BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
            Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
            - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

too bad conservatives don't think they can win on a campaign of the real issues.
              Are you really trying to call Huckabee a conservative?
              Originally posted by kontemplerande
              Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

And I guess didn't like Huckabee dragging their name into his xenophobic, politically oriented attempt to bad-mouth a sitting President.
                That's really interesting. You seem to think that all Muslims are foreigners. How very un-progressive of you....

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
                  If he isn't a fundamentalist Christian conservative, I don't know what is.
                  "The deepest human defeat suffered by human beings is constituted by the difference between what one was capable of becoming and what one has in fact become."

Comment

Originally posted by mjhoyt27 View Post
                    If he isn't a fundamentalist Christian conservative, I don't know what is.
                    A fundamentalist Christian with a couple of conservative ideas, maybe. But much of his record is FAR from being conservative.

Comment

too bad those who want the conservative vote don't think they can win on a campaign of the real issues.
                      Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
                      same thing, in the end

Comment

Please don't feed the O.Com Trolls by engaging in this mindless drivel of a discussion........
                        Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

Comment

good for them.

I imagine as 2012 gets closer, the misinformation campaign about Obama's background, and the general effort to characterize him as a foreigner, will only intensify.

Well.
                          Trump has come out swinger the birther nonsense.
                          I guess he's kind of serious about a run - gotta start appealing to the tin-foil hatters

Comment

Originally posted by QuietPro View Post
                            Please don't feed the O.Com Trolls by engaging in this mindless drivel of a discussion........
                            It's hard to ignore the apologists- be they an international organization or a poster on this forum.

Comment

Well.
                              Trump has come out swinger the birther nonsense.
                              I guess he's kind of serious about a run - gotta start appealing to the tin-foil hatters
                              Donald Trump winning the GOP nomination would be enough for me to break-up with the GOP for good.....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3455 users online. 189 members and 3266 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X