Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palin: The GOP's Pelosi?

washingtonpost.com/thefix

Sarah Palin's unfavorable rating has spiked to a new high, adding further fuel to the argument that her presidential campaign may be doomed before it begins.

A new Bloomberg poll shows the former Alaska governor is now viewed unfavorably by 60 percent of American adults. That's higher than any other poll has shown, but it's not even the entire picture.

Of that 60 percent, nearly two-thirds - 38 percent of all adults - say they view the former GOP vice presidential nominee "very unfavorably." No other politicians tested even comes close, including President Obama (22 percent). What's more, Palin's unfavorable rating is more than twice as high as her favorable rating, which rests at just 28 percent. Another 12 percent aren't sure how they feel about her.

The poll follows a long and continuous trend in which, as the presidential race nears, people gradually find that they like Palin less and less.

In fact, the numbers are starting to look a lot like someone else's: House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.).

Except that they are worse.

On the eve of her party's historic 2010 losses, the former House speaker's unfavorable rating rose into the mid-50s in most polling, while her favorable rating was right around 30. Bloomberg, using the same pollster as now, showed her favorable rating at 33 percent and her unfavorable rating at 55 percent.

Palin, after having better numbers around the time of the 2010 election, now has even worse numbers than Pelosi.

A recent NBC-Wall Street Journal poll showed Palin's favorability dropping to 27 percent, a CBS News-New York Times poll showed it dropping to 19 percent and now we have the Bloomberg poll.

There is no official campaign for Palin or any other major potential presidential candidate, but she is getting judged by voters as if there is. And so far she's moving in the wrong direction.

For a long time, it was accepted that, while she might not be broadly popular, she would at least have enough juice with the base to perform well in the primaries. Recent polling in Iowa and New Hampshire, though, shows her dropping in those two states -- including her ratings in Iowa, which would be a very important state for her. And Thursday's Bloomberg poll suggests we might be getting to the point where Palin is a bona fide liability - ala Pelosi - for the GOP.

So far, Palin has been a limited feature in Democratic attacks, but rest assured that Democrats are recording everything potential GOP candidates say about Palin from here on-out.

More McCaskill travel trouble: Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.), already facing criticism for billing taxpayers for flights on planes owned by her and her husband, may be in more trouble now that it turns out some of those trips were purely political.

McCaskill already reimbursed the state for all of her travel. But a new report says she used taxpayer money to take a trip for a political speech, which could be a violation of congressional ethics rules.

The freshman Democratic senator is facing scrutiny, in part, because she proposed legislation to reform government-paid foreign travel.

House GOP to offer entitlement cuts: House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) tells the AP that his caucus will offer politically explosive cuts to Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security.

Ryan offered no specifics, saying details are still being hashed out, but he promised Republicans would "lead with our chin."

Democrats are hoping Republicans do just that -- and that they pay for it in 2012, as defending entitlements is one area where voters are against significant cutbacks.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Thanks to the media and a rather aggressive campaign against her, Palin is not a viable candidate. She is doing a pretty good job of keeping the conservative movement alive though.

I think that's her advantage for us. But she can't run. Even my wife says she's some kind of scary bitch. I ask her why. She says that's what she has read. I ask her for debatable reasons to support her claim and she says, That's what I read.

I've given up trying to discuss it with her. My wife is very set in her opinion.

She a bit of a progressive but she hates entitlement programs so I still love her. I finally proved to her what those cost us.

Not to worry though, she isn't really all that progressive since she does like guns. She is all excited about doing another rifle course. And she's a good shot. That's a plus right there.
    "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

The Washington Post...Bloomberg Poll...??? The leftist of the leftist liberals!!

You believe what is written in the Post????

Purely liberal propanganda.............

Go Sarah!!
      "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

I see Palin as a candidate of platitudes without much ability to persuade others. She's great as a talking head, but not as a leader. (I know, there is a long list of politicians who are worse than she is, but that is not my standard for a presidential candidate.)

Comment

Originally posted by grumpyirishman View Post
          You believe what is written in the Post????

Purely liberal propanganda.............
          "A recent NBC-Wall Street Journal poll showed Palin's favorability dropping to 27 percent"

More propaganda from the "leftist" Wall Street Journal, I suppose.

Comment

...and yet, no one can discuss any objective reasons (minus the KoolAid crowd) as to WHY she is undesireable. Why? Why? What terrible thing ha she done?

I think many will be very suprised in a few months.

Sarah in 2012. You GO GIRL!
            The All New
            BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
            Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
            - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

If Sarah Palin runs against Obama Obama is going to win...She won't have much of any moderates or left wing votes, she probably lost a few votes from folks on the right...

She can still make millions selling her books and going on speaking tours but as far as piolitics I think she's done, well she be elected mayor in a Republican city or county...I think she's moving to Arizona, I can see her being the mayor of a city in Arizona...
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
                ...and yet, no one can discuss any objective reasons (minus the KoolAid crowd) as to WHY she is undesireable. Why? Why? What terrible thing ha she done?
                I don't think the standard for a presidential candidate is that he or she not have done anything terrible.

In our fractured society, a candidate needs to be able to lead and persuade others, not merely to take jabs at others and play to committed supporters.

Palin lacks that ability.

Comment

She hasn't done anything. My reason (and I am sure the reason of a lot of others) for saying she is not a viable candidate is that she doesn't have any political gravitas. I've voted "right" my entire life and simply fail to see how anyone can think she is a serious presidential candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                    She hasn't done anything.
                    And the current "Community Organizer" did what before he did less than 2 years in the Senate....? And even when he was in the Senate....he was out on the campaign trail most of the time.......

And look how great he's doing.....

Try again.....

Comment

Palin only cares about one thing - being popular
                      She has about as much character and bearing as a 16 year old high school girl

She pretty much has two settings:
                      1. Criticizing others
                      2. Complaining when others criticize her

Comment

Originally posted by dlo View Post
                        1. Criticizing others
                        2. Complaining when others criticize her
                        Sounds like you....

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                          She hasn't done anything. My reason (and I am sure the reason of a lot of others) for saying she is not a viable candidate is that she doesn't have any political gravitas. I've voted "right" my entire life and simply fail to see how anyone can think she is a serious presidential candidate.
                          What about the fact she is a dummy? I'm still waiting to find an answer on if she think dinosaurs and humans walked the Earth at the same time.
                          "The deepest human defeat suffered by human beings is constituted by the difference between what one was capable of becoming and what one has in fact become."

Comment

Originally posted by mjhoyt27 View Post
                            What about the fact she is a dummy? I'm still waiting to find an answer on if she think dinosaurs and humans walked the Earth at the same time.
                            Why is she a dummy? Name for me one factual statement SHE has said and one not attributed to her (russia from my house being the most oft said.)

I don't think she is viable the same reason Hillary isn't. Too polarizing. You have to be able to placate both sides to get the votes.
                            A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper View Post

I think many will be very suprised in a few months.

Sarah in 2012. You GO GIRL!
                              Since you're a pro-Palin Kool Aid drinker, perhaps you can shed some light as to WHY you think she's so desirable. What "water into wine" things has she done? And, keep Obama out of your argument please. We all know how he is. Sadly, I think it's going to be you, and the other Palin horn-blowers who will be very surprised in a few months. By the way....I'm a conservative Republican.
                              Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2644 users online. 140 members and 2504 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X