Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NPR CEO Vivian Schiller resigns

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NPR CEO Vivian Schiller resigns

    Washington (CNN) -- National Public Radio CEO Vivian Schiller resigned Wednesday, according to NPR.

    Schiller's resignation comes a day after Ron Schiller, NPR's former senior vice president for fundraising, was shown in an undercover video calling the Tea Party "racist" and "scary" and questioning whether NPR needs federal funding. Ron Schiller, no relation to Vivian Schiller, issued an apology Tuesday night and said his already-announced resignation would be effective immediately.

    Dave Edwards, chairman of NPR's board of directors, said in a statement on the NPR website that the board accepted Vivian Schiller's resignation "with understanding, genuine regret and great respect for her leadership of NPR these past two years."

    Edwards said he recognizes "the magnitude of this news -- and that it comes on top of what has been a traumatic period for NPR and the larger public radio community. The board is committed to supporting NPR through this interim period and has confidence in NPR's leadership team."

    Joyce Slocum, NPR's senior vice president of legal affairs and general counsel, was appointed as interim CEO under a succession plan the board adopted in 2009, Edwards' statement said. The board will establish a committee "that will develop a timeframe and process for the recruitment and selection of new leadership," he said.

    Edwards credited Vivian Schiller with bringing "vision and energy" to NPR and leading it back from "the enormous economic challenges of the previous two years. She was passionately committed to NPR's mission and to stations and NPR working collaboratively as a local-national news network."

    NPR spokeswoman Anna Christopher said she could not confirm reports that Vivian Schiller was forced out.

    Filmmaker James O'Keefe said Tuesday the video featuring Ron Schiller was part of a sting operation. He said the idea stemmed from an incident in October when NPR fired analyst Juan Williams after Williams said he got scared when people wore Muslim garb on airplanes.

    "My colleague Shaughn Adeleye who posed as one of the members of the Muslim Brotherhood was pretty offended with what happened with Juan Williams and he suggested looking into NPR after that incident back in the fall," O'Keefe told CNN's Brian Todd on Tuesday. "My other colleague, Simon Templar, came up with the idea to have a Muslim angle since Juan Williams was fired due to his comments. So we decided to see if there was a greater truth or hidden truth amongst these reporters and journalists and executives."

    Williams has since been hired full-time by Fox News.

    O'Keefe gained notoriety for posing as a pimp and secretly taping damaging conversations with employees at the Association of Community Organizations for Reform (ACORN). He was also involved in a failed plot to embarrass a CNN correspondent on hidden camera.

    Ron Schiller and another NPR executive are shown on the video having lunch with potential NPR donors, who were really working for O'Keefe undercover. In the video, they pose as representatives of a Muslim organization considering making a $5 million donation to NPR.

    "Tea Party people" aren't "just Islamaphobic, but really xenophobic," Ron Schiller says on the recording. "I mean basically they are, they believe in sort of white, middle-America gun-toting. I mean, it's scary. They're seriously racist, racist people."

    He went on to say, "The Tea Party is fanatically involved in people's personal lives and very fundamental Christian. I wouldn't even call it Christian. It's this weird evangelical kind of move."

    In the video, Ron Schiller says that NPR, which is partially funded by government money, would be "better off without federal funding."

    "The problem is that if we lost it now, a lot of stations would go dark," he said.

    Late Tuesday evening, Ron Schiller issued an apology through NPR.

    "While the meeting I participated in turned out to be a ruse, I made statements during the course of the meeting that are counter to NPR's values and also not reflective of my own beliefs," Schiller said in a statement. "I offer my sincere apology to those I offended. I resigned from NPR, previously effective May 6, to accept another job. In an effort to put this unfortunate matter behind us, NPR and I have agreed that my resignation is effective today."

    NPR spokeswoman Dana Davis Rehm on Tuesday condemned Ron Schiller's remarks, saying they "are contrary to everything we stand for ... and we completely disavow the views expressed."

    "NPR is fair and open minded about the people we cover," Rehm said. "Our reporting reflects those values every single day -- in the civility of our programming, the range of opinions we reflect and the diversity of stories we tell."

    Rehm also decried Ron Schiller's statement that NPR would be "better off without federal funding," saying it "does not reflect reality. The elimination of federal funding would significantly damage public broadcasting as a whole."
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

  • #2
    Remember when Juan Williams said he was afraid of Muslims on airplanes, and NPR canned him?
    The Fox talking arses jumped to his defense, and his first amendment rights to say what he feels.....

    Now someone criticizes the Tea Party and ............... not so much

    Fear of muslims is totally defensible free speech. but apparently talking down about the Tea Party is not

    What is interesting, and left out of most discussions about this, is that in the video, before those statements, Schilling states: "I'm talking about my own thoughts here, not for NPR" (or words to that effect)

    Comment


    • #3
      Yes, it is free speech. But NPR does not allow free speech. How can it say liberals can speak their views freely, but others cannot, while claiming to be unbiased.

      NPR had been on a more even course until Vivian Schiller arrived. Having been with the New York Times, she was blind to the liberal bias that increasingly infected NPR's reporting.
      Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
      Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by dlo View Post
        Remember when Juan Williams said he was afraid of Muslims on airplanes, and NPR canned him?
        The Fox talking arses jumped to his defense, and his first amendment rights to say what he feels.....

        Now someone criticizes the Tea Party and ............... not so much

        Fear of muslims is totally defensible free speech. but apparently talking down about the Tea Party is not

        What is interesting, and left out of most discussions about this, is that in the video, before those statements, Schilling states: "I'm talking about my own thoughts here, not for NPR" (or words to that effect)
        Juan Williams wasn't in a position to drive the editorial content of entire network. The Schillers were. Its clear from content of the network that the liberal bias was substantial. As DAL pointed out, a few years back, I used to listen to NPR news quite a bit. They had a bit of a left lean then, but seemed to put out some pretty decent reporting. The last few years, however, sounded more like an episode of Rachel Maddow.
        Originally posted by kontemplerande
        Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by DAL View Post
          Yes, it is free speech. But NPR does not allow free speech. How can it say liberals can speak their views freely, but others cannot, while claiming to be unbiased.

          NPR had been on a more even course until Vivian Schiller arrived. Having been with the New York Times, she was blind to the liberal bias that increasingly infected NPR's reporting.
          and yet no outcry from the "right" - who claim to value free speech - that the Schilling are getting the axe ?
          they made such a big deal about defending William's right to his comments....
          No defense of Schilling's ?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by dlo View Post
            and yet no outcry from the "right" - who claim to value free speech - that the Schilling are getting the axe ?
            they made such a big deal about defending William's right to his comments....
            No defense of Schilling's ?
            Who the hell are the Schillings?

            Oh, and they weren't given "the axe". They resigned.
            Originally posted by kontemplerande
            Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by dlo View Post
              and yet no outcry from the "right" - who claim to value free speech - that the Schilling are getting the axe ?
              they made such a big deal about defending William's right to his comments....
              No defense of Schilling's ?
              Are you just an idiot or do you play one on TV? LOL!

              Seriously do you really believe what you say?
              Free speech is free speech. I'm rejoicing that he spoke his mind thus outing himself as a bigot.
              Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

              Comment


              • #8
                If someone who is complicit in violating my right to free speech is fired, why should I complain? Perhaps the board has figured out that NPR's leadership is biased.

                Why would I want to support a regime that only permitted the expression of views contrary to mine? Freedom to speak only one view is not freedom of speech.

                Of course conservatives won't complain. They made their point. NPR will lose its government funding.
                Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by dlo View Post
                  that the Schilling are getting the axe ?
                  Yo! D'Bag.... SHE QUIT!!!! CAN'T YOU FREAKING READ...??!!???

                  She didn't get the ax.....SHE QUIT!!!!!

                  Why should I cry over that....? Other dude got fired.......This Liberal Whore QUIT!!!!

                  Are you really that F'ing stupid......or do you just post **** to **** people off and try to get them banned when they challenge your stupidity...???

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Listen to plenty of NPR, I'm sure I don't agree with the politics of the leaders, but it is generally fairly decent news. Much better to listen to than conservative talk radio (I usually agree with those guys, but I only listen to so much bashing about one subject before I am sick of it)

                    To: dlo, Ron Schiller had already resigned his post, even before this thing was out. He had taken another job and this just sped up his retirement. Vivian Schiller quit on her own, probably with the notion that it will help NPR's fight to keep its federal funding.

                    Freedom of speech, meh. I think both the right and left are idiots. Any time a person from one side says something, the other pretends like they are outraged and butt hurt. It's the problem with politics, essentially a bunch of fricken' kids tattling on each other.
                    Last edited by Dingo990; 03-10-2011, 03:47 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                      Yo! D'Bag.... SHE QUIT!!!! CAN'T YOU FREAKING READ...??!!???

                      She didn't get the ax.....SHE QUIT!!!!!

                      Why should I cry over that....? Other dude got fired.......This Liberal Whore QUIT!!!!

                      Are you really that F'ing stupid......or do you just post **** to **** people off and try to get them banned when they challenge your stupidity...???
                      are you really that stupid?
                      you think her resignation was entirely of her own accord? I'm sure they encouraged her to go

                      do you have any idea about how the world actually works?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by DAL View Post
                        If someone who is complicit in violating my right to free speech is fired, why should I complain? Perhaps the board has figured out that NPR's leadership is biased.

                        Why would I want to support a regime that only permitted the expression of views contrary to mine? Freedom to speak only one view is not freedom of speech.

                        Of course conservatives won't complain. They made their point. NPR will lose its government funding.
                        who violated your right to free speech ?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by OneAdam12 View Post
                          Are you just an idiot or do you play one on TV? LOL!

                          Seriously do you really believe what you say?
                          Free speech is free speech. I'm rejoicing that he spoke his mind thus outing himself as a bigot.
                          I was referring to your leaders over at Fox News - who argued that Williams should not be fired after his comments....
                          But rejoiced over the firings in this case
                          (and yes, they resigned. But we all know it was a polite dismissal....
                          atleast, most people understand that.
                          Bearcat may not)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Dingo990 View Post
                            Listen to plenty of NPR, I'm sure I don't agree with the politics of the leaders, but it is generally fairly decent news. Much better to listen to than conservative talk radio
                            Unlike talks radio, NPR broadcasts news. The slant is most obvious in the longer "analytical" pieces, where the reporters tend to take as given a liberal view of societal problems.

                            Conservative talk radio seems mainly to preach to the choir without providing much new information. I don't need someone to tell me how horrible Onama is; I already know.
                            Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                            Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by dlo View Post
                              who violated your right to free speech ?
                              It happens every day, just in small doses and usually at work. You refuse to see the "big" picture. This is about a person who has control over content of a partially public funded outlet who admitted they were biased against a conservative group.

                              What you and many like you want is not freedom of speech. You want freedom from the consequences of speech.
                              A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 4941 users online. 274 members and 4667 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X