Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Environmental extremists destroyed another business

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/11/0...two-overkills/

On October 31, 2009, the once largest aluminum plant in the world will shut down. With it goes another American industry and more American jobs. The Columbia Falls Aluminum Company in Montana will shut down its aluminum production because it cannot purchase the necessary electrical power to continue its operations.

<snip>

Fast forward to today. The federal government is spending 1000 times more money to promote the global-warming charade than is available to those scientists who are arguing against it. Never before in history has it taken a massive publicity campaign to convince the public of a scientific truth. The only reason half the public thinks global warming may be true is the massive amount of money put into global-warming propaganda. The green eco-groups have their umbilical cords in the government’s tax funds. Aside from a few honest but duped scientists living on government money, the majority of the alarms about global warming – now called “climate change” because it’s no longer warming – come from those who have no professional training in atmospheric science. They are the environmentalists, the ecologists, the lawyers and the politicians. They are not the reliable atmospheric scientists whom I know.

Nevertheless, our politicians have passed laws stating that carbon dioxide is bad. See California’s AB32 which is based upon science fiction. (For readers who take issue with me, I will be happy to destroy your arguments in another place. In this paper, we focus on the damage to America that is being caused by those promoting the global-warming fraud.)

In the year 2000, America planned 150 new coal-electric power plants. These power plants would have been “clean” by real standards but the Greens managed to have carbon dioxide defined legally as “dirty” and this new definition makes all emitters of carbon dioxide, including you, a threat to the planet. Therefore, using legal illogic, the Sierra Club stopped 82 of these planned power plants under Bush II and they expect it will be a slam-dunk to stop the rest under Obama.

Nice post.
    I hope that everyone will pester their Reps. on this issue. Obummer is soon to go to Denmark for the UN Sky Is Falling potluck and sign away US sovereignty over it. Don't let this court jester in the White House do it! CALL your politicians!

Meanwhile listen to Lord Moncton. A sad state of affairs when it takes the british to warn Americans about loosing their rights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddQvhdCyhe4

Comment

Pollution is a myth.
      ...hunter of the shadows is rising...

Comment

Originally posted by SkepticAlways View Post
        Pollution is a myth.
        Wow. You defeated his argument with four simple words.

Comment

Interesting, it looks like the reason the plant shut down was because the government stopped subsidizing cheap electricity for that company, not due to environmental lawsuits as the article in teh OP claimed.

http://www.manufacturing.net/News-Mo...spx?menuid=274

COLUMBIA FALLS, Mont. (AP) -- High energy prices are forcing Columbia Falls Aluminum to shut down at the end of October, leaving 88 employees out of work.

The company had been able to buy discount electricity from the Bonneville Power Administration, a quasi-governmental outfit that for decades sold at-cost electricity to big industrial customers. But with an increase in population came an increase in demand for cheap hydropower, pitting industry against other users.

The amount of at-cost power available to industry was diminished and eventually was replaced entirely by a subsidy that helped the aluminum company and others buy down the cost of electricity.

Critics successfully argued that the subsidy was too large and came at the expense of other rate payers, and in December a court ordered the Bonneville Power Administration to end its subsidy to Columbia Falls Aluminum.

Bonneville and the aluminum producer put together a "bridge agreement" that carried the company through Sept. 30, but that deal also was successfully challenged.

The power administration cut the company loose, and the plant has struggled since the beginning of October to buy electricity from private producers.

"Right now, we have no power contract," company spokesman Haley Beaudry said. "We've been in the open market, the commodity market, for the entire month of October."

He noted that in this month alone, prices have soared from about $35 per megawatt hour to nearly $50 per megawatt hour.

"The prices (of electricity) have gone way up, way beyond what you can make aluminum at," he said.

Beaudry said he thinks the plant will eventually reopen, but it could be months away even if an immediate deal were struck with Bonneville.High energy prices are forcing Columbia Falls Aluminum to shut down at the end of October, leaving 88 employees out of work.

Comment

I also like how the blog article in the OP claims that no real scientists endorse the idea of global warming. The fact is that all of the major professional scientific organizations support the scientific consensus that global warming is occurring.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPat View Post
              Interesting, it looks like the reason the plant shut down was because the government stopped subsidizing cheap electricity for that company, not due to environmental lawsuits as the article in teh OP claimed.
              Material posted in this section is rarely accurate, but at least a link was provided so that you could get enough of the story to check for yourself.
              Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Rodear View Post
                Nice post.
                I hope that everyone will pester their Reps. on this issue. Obummer is soon to go to Denmark for the UN Sky Is Falling potluck and sign away US sovereignty over it. Don't let this court jester in the White House do it! CALL your politicians!

Meanwhile listen to Lord Moncton. A sad state of affairs when it takes the british to warn Americans about loosing their rights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddQvhdCyhe4
                Too bad Lord Monckton's wild conspiracy theory has no basis in reality.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...en-treaty-thr/

http://www.salon.com/politics/war_ro...ton/index.html

Comment

I don't understand how calling politicians would stop Obama from going to Denmark, nor from signing the treaty. Calling senators might influence them to vote against ratification; however, that is best done after something is signed.
                  Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                  Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Uhm, did you actually read it? Apparently not, but when do you?

"The Columbia Falls Aluminum Company in Montana will shut down its aluminum production because it cannot purchase the necessary electrical power to continue its operations.

Columbia Falls Aluminum negotiated a contract with Bonneville Power Administration in 2006 for Bonneville to supply electrical power until September 30, 2011. But, responding to lawsuits, the 9th US Circuit Court ruled the contract was invalid because it was incompatible with the Northwest Power Act. Therefore, the combination of the Northwest Power Act and a US Circuit Court were the final villains that caused the shutdown of Columbia Falls Aluminum."

Comment

I also like how the blog article in the OP claims that no real scientists endorse the idea of global warming. The fact is that all of the major professional scientific organizations support the scientific consensus that global warming is occurring.
                      The major ones support the consensus? Isn't that a bit redundant? Anyway, that isn't what he said, try reading it slower:

"Aside from a few honest but duped scientists living on government money, the majority of the alarms about global warming – now called “climate change” because it’s no longer warming – come from those who have no professional training in atmospheric science."

That's true, most of the alarmism comes from non scientists. And many scientists that are on the bandwagon are not associated with climate.

Comment

I think I'm going to buy a hummer just to show the tree huggers who's boss. And not this h3 crap either, old school

Global warming? Considering Al Gore lied on his "facts" I'm not too worried about that. I'll worry about more important things like you know...the war...and the economy. Silly me.

Futurelaw
                        Last edited by Futurelaw89; 11-08-2009, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Futurelaw89 View Post
                          I think I'm going to buy a hummer just to show the tree huggers who's boss. And not this h3 crap either, old school

Global warming? Considering Al Gore lied on his "facts" I'm not too worried about that. I'll worry about more important things like you know...the war...and the economy. Silly me.

Futurelaw
                          As you fill that gas tank, remember, Saudi Arabia thanks you for your faux patriotism, and Islam thanks you for your faux patriotism. Oh, wait, you can't see those funny little interconnected issues can you? You're too focused on attaching truck nutz to that Hummer.
                          Last edited by SkepticAlways; 11-09-2009, 05:17 AM.
                          ...hunter of the shadows is rising...

Comment

As you fill that gas tank, remember, Saudi Arabia thanks you for your faux patriotism, and Islam thanks you for your faux patriotism. Oh, wait, you can't see those funny little interconnected issues can you? Your too focused on attaching truck nutz to that Hummer.
                            And everytime I read about the 85 billion barrels of crude sitting on Florida's coast that we Americans are banned from drilling while China has contracted the Cubans to drill 60 miles of Florida's coast.

How about the 3 trillion of shale oil in the rockies? The tens and tens of billions of oil off California coast? ANWR? How about the billions in the Dakotas?

We import oil why again? Oh yes thanks to our idiot tree huggers who have no clue.

You think that is cut and dry? Really?

http://www.climatedepot.com/a/2248/U...warming-claims

And be sure to read the online reader letters to the ACS.
                            http://pubs.acs.org/cen/letters/87/8730letters.html

The ACS apparently is treating its membership with regards to climate control akin to the AARP and AMA's treatment of its membership regarding healthcare.

And these people wonder why I did not renew membership. I can think of better ways to spend $137.

Comment

As you fill that gas tank, remember, Saudi Arabia thanks you for your faux patriotism, and Islam thanks you for your faux patriotism. Oh, wait, you can't see those funny little interconnected issues can you? Your too focused on attaching truck nutz to that Hummer.
                              Faux patriotism?
                              Because I'm an American who decides to do his own researched information and refuses to believe spoon fed media outlets crying out global warming while those like Al Gore get a nice fat pay check by doing so?

Faux patrioism?
                              Because I support the war on terror and still have pride in this great Country and will defend it against enemies foreign and domestic? Rifleguy explained alot for you already concerning America's oil. Unless you based your argument off of the conspiracy theory we are to invade a foreign country for their oil? Where were you on 9/11? We're taking out those extremists who are still planning another attack on us. Sorry, I use facts in my arguments not theories.

When do you become so Skeptic you start questioning your own BS?

Futurelaw
                              Last edited by Futurelaw89; 11-08-2009, 09:03 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4605 users online. 280 members and 4325 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X