X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At Least Obama Has Accomplished One Thing

US Becomes Top Country Brand Under Obama: Survey

By: Reuters http://www.cnbc.com/id/33707678

Barack Obama has done it again. The president's starpower has made the United States the place most people want to visit and do business with, according to an annual survey that ranks nations like retail brands.

The Country Brand Index, compiled by brand consultancy FutureBrand, found the United States had unseated Australia, which held the top spot for the past three years. Australia came in third this year with Canada rising to second place.

New Zealand and France rounded up the top five country brands in this year's index that included 102 countries.

"The Obama effect has seen the United States earn the coveted top spot for the first time in the fifth annual index," FutureBrand, which is part of Interpublic Group of Companies, said in a statement.

"The revitalisation of Brand USA, and other factors, have resulted in the effect on Australia's ranking. It highlights the importance of keeping a country brand fresh, relevant and engaging in a highly competitive international marketplace," added Tim Riches, CEO FutureBrand Singapore.

The index is based on a survey of about 3,000 business and leisure travellers from nine countries.

In addition to branding countries, it also identifies global trends in travel and tourism, which the statement said was the world's fastest growing economic sector.

The United States was seen as the ideal place for business, one of the top places for families, shopping and quality products, as well as one of the countries people wanted to visit whether for the first time or again.

The FutureBrand survey echoes a similar poll which showed that the United States was the most admired country globally, largely thanks to Obama's global popularity.

Looking ahead, the index indentified the United Arab Emirates - which includes the Gulf cities Dubai and Abu Dhabi - China, and Vietnam as the top three nations likely to become major tourist destinations in the next five years.

Croatia, South Africa and India also made the list.

With the global economic crisis tightening purse-strings across the world, the survey showed that bargain-driven travel would remain a major trend, with consumers "thinking like financial analysts in chosing destinations and properties that are undervalued and booking trips that allow them to maintain the style they were accustomed to in boom times."

This year's index was conducted in conjunction with public relations firm Weber Shandwick.

"The days of countries marketing themselves with travel posters are over," said Rene A. Mack, president of Weber Shandwick's Travel & Lifestyle Practice.

2009 CBI Top Country Brands

1. United States
    2. Canada
    3. Australia
    4. New Zealand
    5. France
    6. Italy
    7. Japan
    8. Britain
    9. Germany
    10. Spain
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Good for the US image...... I hope the storm doesnt start on something reasonably categorized as a positive for the US.
    Young people will change the old wicked ways of the past.sigpic

Comment

That's called a propaganda puff piece. Making a fact fit your beliefs. It goes on to say:

"With the global economic crisis tightening purse-strings across the world, the survey showed that bargain-driven travel would remain a major trend, with consumers "thinking like financial analysts in chosing destinations and properties that are undervalued and booking trips that allow them to maintain the style they were accustomed to in boom times."

With the dollar at an all time low I suspect that plays a larger role than media approval of any poster boy.

Comment

Well, if we are actually seeing an increase in tourism, I guess he has done two things. What he is best known for is winning an award.

And you thought I meant the Nobel.
        "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

It must be true just look at how many come across our southern border.

Comment

Originally posted by dadyswat View Post
            LOL!, but they've been doing that or years. I guess you can say our southern neighbors were ahead of their time.
            Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

Originally posted by FNA209 View Post
              Well, if we are actually seeing an increase in tourism, I guess he has done two things. What he is best known for is winning an award.
              [ATTACH]4882[/ATTACH]
              And you thought I meant the Nobel.
              Sorry, i freaked when i saw that huge pic of him. I had to make a few adjustments.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dadyswat View Post

The number coming across the border has declined under Obama, because of the bad economy.

Comment

Originally posted by JasperST View Post
                  That's called a propaganda puff piece. Making a fact fit your beliefs. It goes on to say:

"With the global economic crisis tightening purse-strings across the world, the survey showed that bargain-driven travel would remain a major trend, with consumers "thinking like financial analysts in chosing destinations and properties that are undervalued and booking trips that allow them to maintain the style they were accustomed to in boom times."

With the dollar at an all time low I suspect that plays a larger role than media approval of any poster boy.
                  The poll was not of the media, but of people in foreign countries. Bush had a terrible imagine abroad. There is a value in good PR; corporations spend billions to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                    The poll was not of the media, but of people in foreign countries. Bush had a terrible imagine abroad. There is a value in good PR; corporations spend billions to get it.
                    The media does help to drive public image. And yes, Bush got plenty of bad politically motivated PR. I call that propaganda. But I think that the low dollar plays a bigger role than stepping foot on soil that Obama presides over.

Comment

Barry did that all by himself, huh? Amazing.
                      The All New
                      BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                      Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                      - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Originally posted by JasperST View Post
                        But I think that the low dollar plays a bigger role than stepping foot on soil that Obama presides over.
                        Probably so, especially for shopping and visiting. However:

The FutureBrand survey echoes a similar poll which showed that the United States was the most admired country globally, largely thanks to Obama's global popularity.
                        The ability to manipulate the media is very valuable, even in law enforcement.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5346 users online. 296 members and 5050 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X