300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newsom drops out of governor's race

Quite a surprise, but I won't miss him. Will anyone else try for the Democrat nomination?

Last Modified: Friday, Oct. 30, 2009 - 3:45 pm

San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom made a surprise announcement Friday afternoon that he was dropping out of the gubernatorial race, leaving the Democrats with no declared candidate for the top statewide office.

Attorney General Jerry Brown has opened an exploratory committee for governor but has yet to formally announce his candidacy.

Nonetheless, Brown has opened a wide lead over Newsom in both fund-raising and in polls.

"It is with great regret I announce today that I am withdrawing from the race for governor of California," Newsom said in a statement. "With a young family and responsibilities at city hall, I have found it impossible to commit the time required to complete this effort the way it needs to - and should be - done.

"This is not an easy decision. But it is one made with the best intentions for my wife, my daughter, the residents of the city and county of San Francisco, and California Democrats."

In a written statement, Brown said of Newsom's departure from the race, "Mayor Newsom is a talented public official and I believe he has a bright future. I am sure this was not an easy decision. Anne and I wish Gavin and his family all the best."

Democratic political consultant Bill Carrick said there is no question that running for governor is a job with "24-7 demands."

"The fundraising is just literally being trapped in a room calling donors all the time," he said. "There are very few people that are willing to do that. And it's all the more complicated if you're a sitting mayor ... .You're at it all day, all the time. "

Many Democrats, he noted, are comfortable with the prospect of a Jerry Brown candidacy.

"I think most people look at Jerry and say he's doing very well, the polls, he's raised a lot of money, he has a great platform in which he can get media coverage almost at the drop of a hat as attorney general," Carrick said. "That's a formidable combination."

But he said it's too soon to know whether another candidate will decide to enter the Democratic race.

"This is a surprise, and they will be more surprises to come," he said. "It's very early in the cycle - who knows what's going to happen?"
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Can Arnold run as a Democrat?

Comment

Wow...Maybe he got a job in Washington DC...It'll be intresting to see what the other surprises are...
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JasperST View Post
        Can Arnold run as a Democrat?
        No.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
          No.
          Term limitation?
          "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

Originally posted by FNA209 View Post
            Term limitation?
            California has term limits. Arnold will have served 7 years, which counts as two terms, wich is the limit. Party affiliation is irrelevant.

So we will probably wind up with Jerry Brown, fka Governor Moonbeam, again.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post

So we will probably wind up with Jerry Brown, fka Governor Moonbeam, again.
              Good luck with him. I left CA when he was governor. I actually believe his tenure was the beginning of the end for CA. Just think- you can have him back for another two terms.
              "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

Brown would not be my choice. I wanted Newsom to stay in the race to force Brown to spend campaign funds on the primary.

Any of the Republicans would be better, but there is no one with good name recognition. Meg Whitman is trying hard.

The voters are fed up with the legislature, which is 62% Democrats, so maybe a Republican would have a chance.

Comment

It doesn't much matter what happens in the governors office as long as this state is in the current death grip of the looney and corrupt Dems in the legislature. I guess a bad governor may make things worse (if thats possible) but I doubt that any governor can make things better.

What California needs is for the entire SF bay area and Los Angeles basin to be excluded from voting. Then sane and principled politicians could possibly be elected. Since that is not going to happen short of a double meteor hit, California is on a terminal downward death spiral path.
                  Jubilant Patriotic Republican

America gave Obama the benefit of the doubt when they elected him. Obama is now giving America the doubt of the benefit of his governance......Change you can bereave in!..JPR

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4855 users online. 296 members and 4559 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X