300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Depot fires worker for wearing the G word

I'm boycotting Home Depot, which has been my favorite hardware store. This is just stupid. I've seen many buttons on these guys, but this one had GOD on it.

Since my money has GOD on it, I guess they don't want it.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...,3892174.story
    OKEECHOBEE - Trevor Keezer didn't start working at The Home Depot to make a religious statement. He just wanted to earn money for college.

"I want to go to school to become a nurse," said the 20-year-old Okeechobee resident.

Keezer says for 19 months, ever since he started working as a cashier at The Home Depot in Okeechobee, he's worn a button with an American flag on it that reads: "One nation under God, indivisible."

Keezer sees the quotation, taken from the pledge of allegiance, as his way of supporting American troops at war, and of expressing his Christian faith.

In December, his older brother Army Spc. Steven Keezer Jr., is scheduled to deploy to Iraq for his second tour of duty.

For more than a year, Keezer says none of his managers mentioned the button on his Home Depot apron, except one supervisor who commented she liked it.

"She actually wanted to wear it," Keezer said.

Then, last month, when he started bringing his Bible to work, Keezer says his manager confronted him about the button.

"That's when I was told it had to come off, or I would be sent home. So they sent me home for six straight days without pay. And then today they terminated me," he said.

His error was bringing the bible into the mix. The "under god" phrase is upheld in courts for being a symbolic jesture to no certian god. His mistake was bringing the bible into work. That gives "under god" a religious connotation and forces his religious views on other workers.

Comment

Originally posted by livestrong6 View Post
      His error was bringing the bible into the mix. The "under god" phrase is upheld in courts for being a symbolic jesture to no certian god. His mistake was bringing the bible into work. That gives "under god" a religious connotation and forces his religious views on other workers.
      That's illogical. He kept his Bible in his locker and took it out at lunch to read. That doesn't impose his religious views on anyone. It might offend some but there is no right to not be offended. You are in essence saying that it's OK to wear the word God, but the moment someone finds out that you believe in the biblical version, that God word takes on a religious meaning to you, the offended victim.

Are we to believe that Home Depot only wants my money if I assure them I reject the biblical God?

Comment

Fail
        “We don't disagree, you are wrong. Until you have a clue what you are talking about we can't disagree.” - cgh6366

Comment

Originally posted by JasperST View Post
          That's illogical. He kept his Bible in his locker and took it out at lunch to read. That doesn't impose his religious views on anyone. It might offend some but there is no right to not be offended. You are in essence saying that it's OK to wear the word God, but the moment someone finds out that you believe in the biblical version, that God word takes on a religious meaning to you, the offended victim.

Are we to believe that Home Depot only wants my money if I assure them I reject the biblical God?
          This pin reads "One nation under God, indivisible." and it was written on an American Flag. That means that the phrase comes from the pledge of allegiance. A patriotic symbol of America! With symbolic meaning to the word god as a generic symbolism to faith in country. The pledge has been debated for it's religious connotations for years. Many rulings enforces a symbolic meaning to the word god and does not endorse any religion. I really don't agree with that but, that is another debate.

As soon as this person brings a bible into work that symbolic word god is given a connection to a religion.It no longer becomes a patriotic symbol but, a religious message. His statement at the end of the article shows his true intentions, "I want to be a voice for the rest of the Christians and for the citizens of this country to stand up for the country. You know, quit being told to sit down. Say what you want to say and don't be afraid of the consequences," he said. He was using his place of work as a pulpit to spread his beliefs. That should not be tolerated in any work environment.

Home Depot wants you to believe they have lower prices then Lowes to get your money.

Comment

This pin reads "One nation under God, indivisible." and it was written on an American Flag. That means that the phrase comes from the pledge of allegiance. A patriotic symbol of America! With symbolic meaning to the word god as a generic symbolism to faith in country. The pledge has been debated for it's religious connotations for years.

Many rulings enforces a symbolic meaning to the word god and does not endorse any religion. I really don't agree with that but, that is another debate.
            A few atheists whining hardly constitutes a "debate". The term God is generic, that's the point. You can't make a religious argument from a generic reference.
            As soon as this person brings a bible into work that symbolic word god is given a connection to a religion.It no longer becomes a patriotic symbol but, a religious message. His statement at the end of the article shows his true intentions, "I want to be a voice for the rest of the Christians and for the citizens of this country to stand up for the country. You know, quit being told to sit down. Say what you want to say and don't be afraid of the consequences," he said. He was using his place of work as a pulpit to spread his beliefs. That should not be tolerated in any work environment.
            Standing up for Christians and the citizens of this country illustrates his true evil intent? Wow.

Following your logic, if his button said "we're slashing prices" and you saw him with a knife, his message takes on a new sinister meaning. LOL.

Comment

Hate to break it to the atheists but this man does have a First Amendment right also.

Comment

Originally posted by Rifleguy View Post
                Hate to break it to the atheists but this man does have a First Amendment right also.
                No one took away his 1st amendment rights.
                "The deepest human defeat suffered by human beings is constituted by the difference between what one was capable of becoming and what one has in fact become."

Comment

Something seems funny here. My first thought when I read the article is that we aren't hearing the whole story. Why was he really bringing his bible to work? To read on his ten minute breaks? Really?

I would not be surprised to find out that he was preaching to other employees/customers and someone complained. The manager probably didn't want to have the uncomfortable discussion with him, mishandled the whole situation and decided to go with the button technicality and fired him. Thus avoiding having to tell him that he makes everyone uncomfortable with his Jesus talk.

Why do I think this? Some of his statements just scream proselytizer:

Fishel says Home Depot has a "proud history" of supporting the military, and that it sanctions several of its own buttons for employees to wear, including one that reads: "United We Stand." Keezer said he preferred to wear his button because "you can't have country without God. Every pin they showed me had no 'God' on it or anything."

"It never crossed my mind to take off the button because I'm standing for something that's bigger than I am. They kept telling me the severity of what you're doing and I just let God be in control and went with His plan."

"I want to be a voice for the rest of the Christians and for the citizens of this country to stand up for the country. You know, quit being told to sit down. Say what you want to say and don't be afraid of the consequences," he said.

"It feels kind of like a punishment, like I was punished for just loving my country," Keezer said.

That's my take on it anyway. We all know that guy at work.

Comment

Originally posted by mjhoyt27 View Post
                    No one took away his 1st amendment rights.
                    Actually, they did but as an employer they can do that. I hate to agree with Home Depot, but I do. I admire him standing up for what he believes and he should. Part of that is also being ready to get knocked on your butt when you stand up for what you believe.
                    A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

Comment

I worked at Home Depot for 5 years, the only non-company or vendor based pins we were allowed to wear were American flags. I saw plenty of people get nailed for pins that weren't in compliance.
                      When you are working for a company, don't you give up rights? I cant stand outside of my work and yell about how terrible it is, while I am on the clock.

I think it's crappy, but a company has a right to their policies.
                      Originally Posted by Law100
                      Note to everyone: notice how respect I am

Comment

This pin reads "One nation under God, indivisible." and it was written on an American Flag. That means that the phrase comes from the pledge of allegiance. A patriotic symbol of America! With symbolic meaning to the word god as a generic symbolism to faith in country. The pledge has been debated for it's religious connotations for years. Many rulings enforces a symbolic meaning to the word god and does not endorse any religion. I really don't agree with that but, that is another debate.

As soon as this person brings a bible into work that symbolic word god is given a connection to a religion.It no longer becomes a patriotic symbol but, a religious message. His statement at the end of the article shows his true intentions, "I want to be a voice for the rest of the Christians and for the citizens of this country to stand up for the country. You know, quit being told to sit down. Say what you want to say and don't be afraid of the consequences," he said. He was using his place of work as a pulpit to spread his beliefs. That should not be tolerated in any work environment. Home Depot wants you to believe they have lower prices then Lowes to get your money.

I hate to break this to you but an employee or student's Constitutional rights don't cease when they punch in with their time card or sit down in the classroom. There is well established SC decisions that say so. And there are organizations experienced in arguing cases before the SC that often take cases pro bono. They will write letters on behalf of the aggrieved citizen and if the employer/school refuses to obey the law they will and have filed suit and taken them to the mat.

http://www.aclj.org/

http://www.pacificjustice.org/

Sorry strongliver, you are going to have to wait until Obama or someone like him is able to pack the SC with leftist radical rogue judges before the exercise of religious freedoms ceases in the USA.

Originally posted by Rifleguy

Unfortunately, I think he may have a problem claiming his rights were violated. I believe I recall one of the lead attorneys for ACLJ discussing a case on the radio with similar facts. I think the problem is since Home Depot has a policy of no pins of any kind, they can use that as a defense.

Had he been wearing a crucifix or a cross around his neck, and company policy did not prohibit wearing necklaces. etc., and they fired him for it, he could take them to the cleaners, as I understand it.

It is a pretty sad day in America though when someone gets fired for wearing an excerpt from the Pledge of Allegiance.

Personally, I prefer to shop at Lowes anyway.
                        Last edited by JPR; 10-28-2009, 05:40 PM.
                        Jubilant Patriotic Republican

America gave Obama the benefit of the doubt when they elected him. Obama is now giving America the doubt of the benefit of his governance......Change you can bereave in!..JPR

Comment

You all do realize that the Constitution and Bill of Rights was ratified in order to define what the government was responsible for and what it can not do to the citizens of the country, right. The Constitution is not intended to regulate conduct between citizens (a company can be considered a citizen in this context). I would have to agree that the kid had the right to say what he wanted. Home Depot is not limited in their policies by the Constitution, maybe the SCOTUS expanded the Constitution to regulating interactions between citizens, but it is not written in the Constitution, so they are equally correct in firing someone who does not obey their policies. If The Home Depot does have a policy that says no religious articles can be worn while at work, then that is a policy they can enforce. If they don't then they could have some issues.

Completely relying on a news article to take any type of decision as to what happened is foolish though. I would be interested in how all of this turns out.
                          But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

It seems a simple enough matter to wear the button during the 16 hours he's not at work. This guy must really love his button...he was given the option of taking it off at work, or be sent home. He chose his button over his job. He is a moron.
                            ...hunter of the shadows is rising...

Comment

Originally posted by kc12 View Post
                              ...... If The Home Depot does have a policy that says no religious articles can be worn while at work, then that is a policy they can enforce..........
                              You may want to research this further. Those links I provided are excellent sources. I do not believe they could get away with a ban on religious articles per se. They may be able to get away with a ban on all jewelry or something to that effect but a ban targeting religious articles I believe is against the law.
                              Jubilant Patriotic Republican

America gave Obama the benefit of the doubt when they elected him. Obama is now giving America the doubt of the benefit of his governance......Change you can bereave in!..JPR

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4626 users online. 255 members and 4371 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X