Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medal of Honor Winner - Ed Freeman

You're a 19 year old kid.
    You're critically wounded and dying in the jungle in the Ia Drang Valley.

November 11, 1965.
    LZ X-ray , Vietnam .

Your infantry unit is outnumbered 8-1 and the enemy fire is so intense, from 100 or 200 yards away,
    That your own Infantry Commander has ordered the MediVac helicopters to stop coming in.

You're lying there, listening to the enemy machine guns and you know you're not getting out.
    Your family is 1/2 way around the world, 12,000 miles away, and you'll never see them again.

As the world starts to fade in and out, you know this is the day.

Then - over the machine gun noise - you faintly hear that sound of a helicopter.
    You look up to see an unarmed Huey. But ... It doesn't seem real because no Medi-Vac markings are on it.

Ed Freeman is coming for you.

He's not Medi-Vac so it's not his job, but he's flying his Huey down into the machine gun fire anyway.

Even after the Medi-Vacs were ordered not to come.
    He's coming anyway.

And he drops it in and sits there in the machine gun fire, as they load 2 or 3 of you on board.
    Then he flies you up and out through the gunfire to the doctors and nurses.

And, he kept coming back!! 13 more times!!

He took about 30 of you and your buddies out who would never have gotten out.

Medal of Honor Recipient, Ed Freeman, died last Wednesday at the age of 80, in Boise , Idaho .

May God Rest His Soul.

I bet you didn't hear about this hero's passing, but we've sure seen a whole bunch About Michael Jackson or Jon and Kate plus 8. . .

Where are our priorities America?
    "Character is someone you are when no one is watching."

I doubt anyone will dispute Ed Freeman is a patriot and a hero. But why are you posting this now? Did the chain email arrive just today?

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/freeman.asp
    ...hunter of the shadows is rising...

Comment

As a side note...We Were Soldiers-Mr. Freeman was the charachter Too Tall, the second in command (Greg Kinnear played the CO)
      A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

Comment

Originally posted by SkepticAlways View Post
        I doubt anyone will dispute Ed Freeman is a patriot and a hero. But why are you posting this now? Did the chain email arrive just today?
        http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/freeman.asp
        It did... Thought people would find it interesting.
        "Character is someone you are when no one is watching."

Comment

Thought people would find it interesting.
          I did, and I'm glad you posted it. So True about MJ etc.
          MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Actually, Ed Freeman did not "die last Wednesday." He died Wednesday 20 August 20, 2008.

When I received the e-mail, the timing suggested that the story of his passing was suppressed in favor of coverage of Michael Jackson, which is not the case.

While I find the coverage of Michael Jackson to be ridiculously excessive, I also think that the passing of this hero is far more newsworthy than sports scores, new movies, or Maria Shriver, etc. So I find this e-mail a disingenuous attempt to portray as unpatriotic all those people who care about such entertainment-related trivia. Such people may be shallow, but they are not necessarily unpatriotic.
            Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
            Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

"In July 2009, shortly after the death of singer Michael Jackson, the piece was altered to reference him rather than Chris Brown, and to change the date of Ed Freeman's death to 25 June 2009 in order to create the mistaken impression that Freeman had passed away on the same day as Jackson and that his death was therefore ignored by the media in the crush of Michael Jackson coverage."
              Great; some ******* did that so they could create a sense of outrage without using ALL CAPS and too many exclamation points in their BS email. I think it's been awhile since I saw "FORWARD THIS TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW" in a message, too. The hoaxes are getting harder to spot, but I still like to give some stuff a Snopes Test. At least 99% of the time, I'm right. The rest of the time, the story turns out to be a mixture of true and false, like this one.

However, it is an interesting story. I'm glad Ed Freeman received his well-deserved CMOH and other honors, even if some of it was after his passing and wasn't given much notice by the mainstream media.
              RIP, Major Freeman. We salute you.
              --
              Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

Comment

And another thing. I had to learn to drop the word 'winner' and replace it with the word 'recipient' in regards to medals, especially the MOH.

There are recipients who get thoroughly ******ed to hear themselves referred to as 'winners' when they think of the guys who died alongside them, or their act (which resulted in their award) cost them a limb, etc. They will tell you that there was no contest that day and they competed to get the top prize.
                "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Good point. Thanks for pointing that out, Kieth.
                  --
                  Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5508 users online. 302 members and 5206 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X