X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time magazine is racist

Where's the liberal outcry?

http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...rss-topstories

Can Rio's Crime Problem Be Solved Before the Olympics?
    By Andrew Downie Wednesday, Oct. 21, 2009

Just two weeks ago, Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva said between delirious sobs in Copenhagen that the International Olympic Committee's decision to award the 2016 Olympic Games to Rio de Janeiro was a vindication of Brazil's social and economic advances. But the elephant in the room was the precarious security situation in the once great city, now fallen into decay, and that elephant made its presence felt on Oct. 17. At least 14 people were killed and eight more were injured after violent shoot-outs between rival drug gangs careened out of the favela slums and into neighboring communities. In the most spectacular incident, three officers were killed after gangsters shot down a police helicopter.

So… will Rio be safe? I’m sure it’s not the residents fault. After all, it’s just a symptom of “…the problem of violence in --- inner cities may have less to do with the fact that guns are available there (as they are everywhere else) than with the fact that so many families are dysfunctional, and that so little sense of community can be found” where residents are “disproportionately trapped in poor urban neighborhoods.” [Two common explanations (or excuses) for inner city crime]

So the residents who commit crimes and murder people are clearly just victims of socio-economic issues. It’s not their fault. Kind of like the 31,479 crimes committed in Chicago during 09/12/2009 to 10/12/2009 which includes about 40+ homicides. It’s not the fault of Chicago’s residents so it obviously can’t be the fault of Rios residents.

How can Time even ask about the safety in Rio? Do they have a problem with South Americans? I think the White House's Anita Dunn should go after Time. It's clearly racist and obvious conservative propaganda raising the level of hate against South Americans.
    Last edited by FNA209; 10-22-2009, 01:12 AM.
    "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Sounds like they may be racist against those of Portuguese ancestry. No complimentary linguica or Vinho Alho marinated meat for the Time reporters is what I'd like to see. As an American of Portuguese ancestry, I am offended by Time's cultural insensitivity towards the Brazilians who share my gene pool.

I can only imagine the uproar that would result if the 2016 Olympics were to be held in Oakland, CA and a similiar comment were made.

http://oaklandca.areaconnect.com/crime1.htm
    Jubilant Patriotic Republican

America gave Obama the benefit of the doubt when they elected him. Obama is now giving America the doubt of the benefit of his governance......Change you can bereave in!..JPR

Comment

It's stupid to compare poverty/crime in a 3rd world country to a ghetto in the United States...Most (about 99%) American don't know what true poverty is...For the most part most American put themselves in position of hardship...

I heard Michelle Obama's presentation, when they were biding for the 2016 games, and when she was she was talking about American children being over weight and not getting enough excercise kind of got me thinking; does Michell Obama know how many children are starving to death in the world and she's over here talking about overweight children?...You would think she would know in some parts of the world dinner is a luxury...

And as far as the excercise part, yeah kids are to busy playin with a $300 video game counsel ($60 a game), they can't be bothered, the parents are no better...

That's why a lot of young Latinos are Democrats and the older folks are more Republican/Conservative; the older folks know what TRUE poverty and crime is...

My parents tell me stories all the time...

All in all I'm happy for Brazil, hope everything goes well for them in 2016...
      sigpic

Comment

Careful what you say here. Livestrong is listening.....

Go Brazil.
        The All New
        BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
        Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
        - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
          Go Brazil.
          Nice to finally see you reaching out to the rest of the world
          "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.”

— John Stuart Mill

Comment

Its Obama fault.
            Young people will change the old wicked ways of the past.sigpic

Comment

As far as I have been able to determine, "Brazilian" is not a race. Brazil is a multi-racial country with a population of Europeans, indigenous Indians, and Africans. There a quite a bit of intermixing among the ethnics groups. Furthermore, the Europeans who moved to Brazil were not all Portuguese; many are from Italy, Spain, Germany and other countries.
              Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Citizen85 View Post
                Nice to finally see you reaching out to the rest of the world
                Always have. Pay attention. I like people of the world. All I hate, is liberal attitudes.

As a Christian I love Barry Hussein (might as well be Osama) Obama. I just hate what he is doing, saying, wishing, trying, developing, planning, living, thinking, suggesting, enjoying and pushing.

Oh...and his lying. I hate his lying. Don't you?

But I love all people of the world. Even libs.
                The All New
                BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                  As far as I have been able to determine, "Brazilian" is not a race. Brazil is a multi-racial country with a population of Europeans, indigenous Indians, and Africans. There a quite a bit of intermixing among the ethnics groups. Furthermore, the Europeans who moved to Brazil were not all Portuguese; many are from Italy, Spain, Germany and other countries.
                  They speak Portuguese. I think that says what their predominant ethnicity is comprised of.

America gave Obama the benefit of the doubt when they elected him. Obama is now giving America the doubt of the benefit of his governance......Change you can bereave in!..JPR

Comment

Originally posted by JPR View Post
                    They speak Portuguese. I think that says what their predominant ethnicity is comprised of.
                    Using the same (il)logic, the predominant ethnicity of the U.S. must be English. I don't think so. There are all those Americans of German, Irish, Italian, Polish, Spanish, African, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, French, Dutch, Mexican and Amerindian descent, among others, who speak English. That does not make them of English descent.

Comment

Using the same (il)logic, the predominant ethnicity of the U.S. must be English. I don't think so. There are all those Americans of German, Irish, Italian, Polish, Spanish, African, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, French, Dutch, Mexican and Amerindian descent, among others, who speak English. That does not make them of English descent.
                      I had a feeling you would come back with that.

How about this.....A lot of Brazilians are of Portuguese ancestry. Happy now?

Comment

As far as I have been able to determine, "Brazilian" is not a race.
                        We'll have to wait a bit longer before we can say that. According to the FBI, they are going to break "race" down into smaller subsets in the near future for NIBRS reporting. They'll probably invent a whole slew of new races.

Actually, it'd be kind of nice to break it down so virtually everyone is a minority. That would solve a lot of issues. We'd all be victims.
                        "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

Originally posted by FNA209 View Post
                          We'll have to wait a bit longer before we can say that. According to the FBI, they are going to break "race" down into smaller subsets in the near future for NIBRS reporting. They'll probably invent a whole slew of new races.

Actually, it'd be kind of nice to break it down so virtually everyone is a minority. That would solve a lot of issues. We'd all be victims.
                          Perhaps you mean ethnicity.

Comment

Perhaps you mean ethnicity.
                            According to the notes I took during the NIBRS up-dates class two weeks ago that was given by the FBI NIBRS guru, it was stated "more sub-sets for race" .

Of course, it is a mind-numbing class, so I may have written it down wrong.

Comment

I thought Brazillian was a number.

1 with 200 zeros after it or some such...

M-11
                              “All men dream...... But not equally..
                              Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                              but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                              for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5195 users online. 294 members and 4901 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X