Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coldest start to October since 1952...

http://www.9and10news.com/category/story/?id=178046

"It's the coldest start to October in 50 years for Northern Michigan! If you thought it was way to cold for October you were right. Since 1952 this is the coldest start on record in Gaylord and Traverse City. In Houghton Lake, it's the coldest October since 1974. It's the 2nd coldest in Pellston and 6th coldest start in Sault Ste. Marie. For most, at least today was the first above normal day of the month!"

Last edited by 7th District; 10-20-2009, 02:35 AM.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." - Teddy Roosevelt

Disclaimer: The opinions I express here are mine and mine alone. They are not intended to reflect the positions/opinions of any other known person(s) or organization(s).

And this is coming after a 2008-2009 winter that broke our 30 y/o seasonal snowfall records.

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." - Teddy Roosevelt

Disclaimer: The opinions I express here are mine and mine alone. They are not intended to reflect the positions/opinions of any other known person(s) or organization(s).

Comment

Just blame it on the global warming.
      “We don't disagree, you are wrong. Until you have a clue what you are talking about we can't disagree.” - cgh6366

Comment

I'm not passing judgement on "global warming" or "climate change"....just want to point out that 57 years of weather data means exactly squat...imho it doesn't even rise to the level of a blink-of-an-eye when discussing weather trends.
        ...hunter of the shadows is rising...

Comment

Originally posted by SkepticAlways View Post
          I'm not passing judgement on "global warming" or "climate change"....just want to point out that 57 years of weather data means exactly squat...imho it doesn't even rise to the level of a blink-of-an-eye when discussing weather trends.
          Actually they can go back several hundred years and accurately show the weather....it gets cold, it gets warm, it rains, it doesn't...pretty much sums it up.
          A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

Comment

Originally posted by SkepticAlways View Post
            I agree with you 100%. However it seems that those who belong to the church of global warming (now climate change) are using an even smaller segment of time for their end of the world predictions. Just within my lifetime we've gone from the "global cooling scare", to the "global warming scare", and now to the "global climate change scare".

I'm not going to make denying global warming my hill to die on, but I'm also not going to make it my religion either. I'm a skeptic. It kills me when persons of note or of power say the "debate is over". Heck in the last millenia we've been much warmer then we were at our recent peak in 1998, and we've been much colder then we were in the 1970's.

Comment

Just for your information, September 2009 tied 2005 for the hottest on record in California. California is much larger than Northern Michigan. By your twisted reasoning, that would show that there is global warming. If one example of cooling can disprove cooling, then one example of warming can prove warming. Of course, this is nonsense.

If you are comparing average temperatures over time, a specific reading at a specific place means nothing. It is rather like my asserting that Americans are getting taller and your disproving it by finding someone who is shorter than the average person was 50 years ago. So what?
              Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                Just for your information, September 2009 tied 2005 for the hottest on record in California. California is much larger than Northern Michigan. By your twisted reasoning, that would show that there is global warming. If one example of cooling can disprove cooling, then one example of warming can prove warming. Of course, this is nonsense.

If you are comparing average temperatures over time, a specific reading at a specific place means nothing. It is rather like my asserting that Americans are getting taller and your disproving it by finding someone who is shorter than the average person was 50 years ago. So what?

My first reaction was to criticize your reading comprehension, however in the past I've read other posts from you and know that you're an intelligent person. I know that in print form, without the aid of inflection, sarcasm can be difficult to convey. So I then must surmise that you missed my post above just above yours. The one where I stated that just in my lifetime we've gone through three different global climate scares and that I'm a skeptic.

Even your example of California temps is only based on a little more then a 100 yrs of records. California is also a more urban area. For commonly known reasons urban areas are much warmer then rural areas. I've seen in documentaries that have shown that one of the problems with the current temp. recording data is that they take place in predominately in urban areas. So as the urban areas have expanded over the years the ground temps in those areas have also risen. However when the lower part of the atmosphere was measured the air temps have remained relatively stable, showing no signs of significant warming.

There were times in the last millenia when Greenland was in fact green. During that same time they were growing grapes and making wine in England. Later there was an era when the river Thames would freeze over every winter. As someone who once lived in England I find both of these facts fascinating.

So to reiterate, I'm not going to make denying global warming my hill to die on, but I'm not going to make global warming or climate change my religion either. I'm just an ex-Marine, college drop-out, LEO who's a student of the world, and in the end a born skeptic. So perhaps you can see why it kills me when persons of note and/or power say that "the debate is over".
                Last edited by 7th District; 10-20-2009, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 7th District View Post
                  My first reaction was to criticize your reading comprehension, however in the past I've read other posts from you and know that you're an intelligent person. I know that in print form, without the aid of inflection, sarcasm can be difficult to convey. So I then must surmise that you missed my post above just above yours. The one where I stated that just in my lifetime we've gone through three different global climate scares and that I'm a skeptic.

Even your example of California temps is only based on a little more then a 100 yrs of records. California is also a more urban area. For commonly known reasons urban areas are much warmer then rural areas. I've seen in documentaries that have shown that one of the problems with the current temp. recording data is that they take place in predominately in urban areas. So as the urban areas have expanded over the years the ground temps in those areas have also risen. However when the lower part of the atmosphere was measured the air temps have remained relatively stable, showing no signs of significant warming.

There were times in the last millenia when Greenland was in fact green. During that same time they were growing grapes and making wine in England. Later there was an era when the river Thames would freeze over every winter. As someone who once lived in England I find both of these facts fascinating.

So to reiterate, I'm not going to make denying global warming my hill to die on, but I'm not going to make global warming or climate change my religion either. I'm just an ex-Marine, college drop-out, LEO who's a student of the world, and in the end a born skeptic. So perhaps you can see why it kills me when persons of note and/or power say that "the debate is over".
                  My apologies. There have been so many posts on this forum where people try to disprove the global warming theory with one-shot meaningless statistics that I read your post too quickly.
                  Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                  Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Man made climate change is a fraud. It is being used as an excuse to enact social change by liberals and increase government power.
                    It really has nothing to do with the environment.
                    Just wait until we get the various 'climate change' legislation enacted.
                    The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

Well, "global warming" finally came back. We had several days of nice warm weather following that cold start to the month.

I did notice some news articles that Al Gore has been jetting around a lot in the last couple of weeks. That must be the reason.
                      "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4634 users online. 306 members and 4328 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X