Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stimulus jobs: Is the recovery act working?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAL
    replied
    Originally posted by dadyswat View Post
    After seeing how many of Congress were invested in those companies I think they were just taking care of themselves.
    Regardless of motive (and I never expect a benign motive from politicians), I think that there were psychological benefits from the stimulus, and many economists agree. Many people thought it would help, regardless of whether it was in fact beneficial. This is reflected in the prices of stocks and bonds.

Leave a comment:

• dadyswat
    replied
    Originally posted by DAL View Post
    I think that the rush to pass the bill stemmed from the fact that Wall Street feared another Great Depression, and that can be a self-fulfilling prophecy. When the bill failed the first time, there was a huge dip in the markets. So the bill was important for psychological purposes. It is also helping preserve a lot of state public-sector jobs, primarily teachers and law-enforcement officers. Those grants were announced fairly recently, and I do not know how much of the money has been disbursed.
    After seeing how many of Congress were invested in those companies I think they were just taking care of themselves.

Leave a comment:

• dadyswat
    replied
    The lack of a COLA has absolutely nothing to do with SOcial Security or the Government being out of money. The reason is pretty clearly spelled out in teh article that you cited.
    But they'll raise the medicare payment sfor the seniors which will a net loss for seniors.

Leave a comment:

• dadyswat
    replied
    Originally posted by Driven View Post
    Not working. Not even close. But since there is no way to officially track the "would have been" numbers, Obama can make it sound like it saved all sorts of things. Smoke and mirrors. At least he has a promising job after the presidency.... that is if he doesn't become our perpetual president.

Jasper you are correct. Dems don't know how to make jobs, they never have. But they do know how to spend our money like there's no tomorrow. They sure know how to raise our taxes and it appears they are all on board and ready to take control of and ruin our health care system.
    +100

Leave a comment:

• LA DEP
    replied
    Originally posted by FredFlash View Post
    I never discuss economics with anyone who doesn't have at least a Bachelors degree in the field.
    Is that in between the time you spend as a DA and a judge?

Leave a comment:

• Southflaguy
    replied
    Originally posted by benron View Post
    so,how much is this going to cost the tax payers? Washington needs to quit pretending like it's their money they are spending.
    Not sure, but I head it's going to happen next year, I think around April...

Leave a comment:

• benron
    replied
    Originally posted by Southflaguy View Post
    I see...Well at least cash for clunkers gave the economy a jolt or two....Japan's economy...I heard that there is going to be another cash for clunkers, but instead of cars it's going to be for appliances...
    so,how much is this going to cost the tax payers? Washington needs to quit pretending like it's their money they are spending.

Leave a comment:

• Southflaguy
    replied
    I see...Well at least cash for clunkers gave the economy a jolt or two....Japan's economy...I heard that there is going to be another cash for clunkers, but instead of cars it's going to be for appliances...

Leave a comment:

• DAL
    replied
    Originally posted by Southflaguy View Post
    According to This Site $2,172,000,000...
    There is a big difference between contracts awarded and funds disbursed. All in all, $2 billion is not much. Cash-for-clunkers was 3.

Leave a comment:

• Southflaguy
    replied
    I think that the rush to pass the bill stemmed from the fact that Wall Street feared another Great Depression, and that can be a self-fulfilling prophecy. When the bill failed the first time, there was a huge dip in the markets. So the bill was important for psychological purposes. It is also helping preserve a lot of state public-sector jobs, primarily teachers and law-enforcement officers. Those grants were announced fairly recently, and I do not know how much of the money has been disbursed.
    According to This Site $2,172,000,000...
    Last edited by Southflaguy; 10-18-2009, 06:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DAL
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Southflaguy
    replied
    But the Obama administration said it won't go avobe 8%, where did his economic team go wrong figuring out the numbers, serious question?...

They're in such a rush to pass things they don't think it through, thus they fall on their face and look silly...

Leave a comment:

• jcioccke
    replied
    Dal that is Too Funny, and True.

I was watching CNBC this am, and they are estimating the numbers for unemployment will be up to 10%.

Again this does not include the individuals who are no longer eligible for benefits.

Leave a comment:

• nuthead
    replied
    It seems to me that the Stimulus package is working very well -- for the Republican Party.
    That's funny right there, I don't care who you are!

Leave a comment:

• DAL
    replied
    It seems to me that the Stimulus package is working very well -- for the Republican Party.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2588 users online. 133 members and 2455 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X