Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stimulus jobs: Is the recovery act working?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never discuss economics with anyone who doesn't have at least a Bachelors degree in the field.
    Nice of you to dummy down to a Bachelors Degree. I would assume you would only speak to individuals with a Masters Degree or PHD.
    MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by FredFlash View Post
      I never discuss economics with anyone who doesn't have at least a Bachelors degree in the field.
      Thank you for informing us mindless idiots of your superior intelligence. We are humble to have someone of such superior intellect in our midst.
      "Rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior but for evil behavior. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same." ~~ God

Comment

Originally posted by kcso View Post
        It looks like Social Security has slowed to a drip.

Social Security makes it official: No COLA in 2010

WASHINGTON – There will be no cost-of-living increase for more than 50 million Social Security recipients next year, the first year without a raise since automatic adjustments were adopted in 1975.

Blame falling consumer prices. By law, cost-of-living adjustments are pegged to inflation, which is negative this year because of lower energy costs. Social Security payments, however, do not go down even when prices drop.

The Obama administration, meanwhile, is pursuing a different way to boost recipients' income. On Wednesday, President Barack Obama called for a second round of $250 stimulus payments for seniors, veterans, retired railroad workers and people with disabilities.

The payments would match the ones issued to seniors earlier this year as part of the government's economic recovery package. The payments would be equal to about a 2 percent increase for the average Social Security recipient.

The White House put the cost of the payments at $13 billion. Obama didn't say how the payments should be financed, leaving that up to Congress. The president is open to borrowing the money, which would increase the federal budget deficit, just like Congress did with the first round of stimulus payments.

Social Security payments increased by 5.8 percent in January, the largest bump up since 1982. The big increase was largely because of a spike in energy costs in 2008.
        The lack of a COLA has absolutely nothing to do with SOcial Security or the Government being out of money. The reason is pretty clearly spelled out in teh article that you cited.

Comment

It seems to me that the Stimulus package is working very well -- for the Republican Party.
          Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
          Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
            It seems to me that the Stimulus package is working very well -- for the Republican Party.
            That's funny right there, I don't care who you are!
            “We don't disagree, you are wrong. Until you have a clue what you are talking about we can't disagree.” - cgh6366

Comment

Dal that is Too Funny, and True.

I was watching CNBC this am, and they are estimating the numbers for unemployment will be up to 10%.

Again this does not include the individuals who are no longer eligible for benefits.
              MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

But the Obama administration said it won't go avobe 8%, where did his economic team go wrong figuring out the numbers, serious question?...

They're in such a rush to pass things they don't think it through, thus they fall on their face and look silly...
                sigpic

Comment

I think that the rush to pass the bill stemmed from the fact that Wall Street feared another Great Depression, and that can be a self-fulfilling prophecy. When the bill failed the first time, there was a huge dip in the markets. So the bill was important for psychological purposes. It is also helping preserve a lot of state public-sector jobs, primarily teachers and law-enforcement officers. Those grants were announced fairly recently, and I do not know how much of the money has been disbursed.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                    I think that the rush to pass the bill stemmed from the fact that Wall Street feared another Great Depression, and that can be a self-fulfilling prophecy. When the bill failed the first time, there was a huge dip in the markets. So the bill was important for psychological purposes. It is also helping preserve a lot of state public-sector jobs, primarily teachers and law-enforcement officers. Those grants were announced fairly recently, and I do not know how much of the money has been disbursed.
                    According to This Site $2,172,000,000...
                    Last edited by Southflaguy; 10-18-2009, 06:30 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southflaguy View Post
                      According to This Site $2,172,000,000...
                      There is a big difference between contracts awarded and funds disbursed. All in all, $2 billion is not much. Cash-for-clunkers was 3.

Comment

I see...Well at least cash for clunkers gave the economy a jolt or two....Japan's economy...I heard that there is going to be another cash for clunkers, but instead of cars it's going to be for appliances...
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southflaguy View Post
                          I see...Well at least cash for clunkers gave the economy a jolt or two....Japan's economy...I heard that there is going to be another cash for clunkers, but instead of cars it's going to be for appliances...
                          so,how much is this going to cost the tax payers? Washington needs to quit pretending like it's their money they are spending.

Comment

Originally posted by benron View Post
                            so,how much is this going to cost the tax payers? Washington needs to quit pretending like it's their money they are spending.
                            Not sure, but I head it's going to happen next year, I think around April...
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FredFlash View Post
                              Is that in between the time you spend as a DA and a judge?
                              The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by Driven View Post
                                Not working. Not even close. But since there is no way to officially track the "would have been" numbers, Obama can make it sound like it saved all sorts of things. Smoke and mirrors. At least he has a promising job after the presidency.... that is if he doesn't become our perpetual president.

Jasper you are correct. Dems don't know how to make jobs, they never have. But they do know how to spend our money like there's no tomorrow. They sure know how to raise our taxes and it appears they are all on board and ready to take control of and ruin our health care system.
                                +100

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5489 users online. 323 members and 5166 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X