300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Environmentalism

So I was reminded by my television today about greenspirit.com. The organization founded by Patrick Moore a former president and founding member of Greenpeace. I have actually been familiar with him and his website since high school but had forgotten how interesting and persuasive his arguments are particularly his text version of his speech on Environmentalism for the 21st Century. I thought some of the more level headed folks on here might enjoy the reading. Moore argues that the environmental movement has essentially been hijacked by elitist anti-corporate agendas and makes some very interesting points. I've actually had a few email correspondences with Patrick and he is a very knowledgeable guy.

Just thought I'd share with those who are interested.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.”

— John Stuart Mill

Originally posted by Patrick Moore
    Not all my former colleagues saw things that way. They rejected consensus politics and sustainable development in favor of continued confrontation and ever-increasing extremism. They ushered in an era of zero tolerance and left-wing politics. Some of the features of this environmental extremism are:
    • Environmental extremists are anti-human.
    • They are anti-science and technology.
    • Environmental extremists are anti-trade, not just free trade but anti-trade in general.
    • They are anti-business.
    • And they are just plain anti-civilization.
    Its hard to believe that the founder of Greenpeace could have such clarity about the situation. As you read through his page, it reads like a conservative talking about Resource Conservation and Wise Land-use policies that we've been pitching for years.

This page was actually a refreshing read...
    \

Comment

I would be careful of trying to turn this too political. I don't think it reads liberal or conservative. Granted this environmental alarmism is nearly exclusively from the left but I think his points could easily be adopted by someone of either political persuasion. It is a very pragmatic approach to environmentalism and I don't think that has to be exclusive to either left or right.

You might also like Bjorn Lomborg's book the Skeptical Environmentalist
      "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.”

— John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
        This page was actually a refreshing read...
        Oh and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Did you read all of it that fast?

— John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by Citizen85 View Post
          Oh and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Did you read all of it that fast?
          I read his 22 page intro. Found it interesting that a Greenpeacer would admit that the environmental movement has become a haven for extremists.
          \

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2666 users online. 138 members and 2528 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X