• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Assembly passed Assembly Bill 962

To: Cabela's California Customers
    Subject: California Assembly Bill 962
    Date: Sept. 22, 2009

We are writing to inform you of pending legislation that will restrict purchases of handgun ammunition in California and will terminate our ability to service your needs for certain products.

On Friday, Sept. 11, the California Assembly passed Assembly Bill 962, by a 44-31 vote.

Among other regulations, AB 962 would:

• Ban all mail-order and Internet sales of handgun ammunition.
    • Prohibit the retail sale, the offer for sale or the display of handgun ammunition in a
    manner that allows ammunition to be accessible to a purchaser without assistance of a
    vendor or employee.
    • Require that the delivery or transfer of ownership of handgun ammunition occur in a
    face-to-face transaction, with the deliverer or transferor being provided bona fide
    evidence of identity of the purchaser or other transferee.

That evidence of identity, which must be legibly recorded at the time of delivery, includes:

• The right thumbprint of the purchaser or transferee.
    • The date of the sale or other transaction.
    • The purchaser's or transferee's driver's license or other identification number and the
    state in which it was issued.
    • The brand, type and amount of ammunition sold or otherwise transferred.
    • The purchaser's or transferee's signature.
    • The name of the salesperson who processed the sale or other transaction.
    • The purchaser's or transferee's full residential address and telephone number.
    • The purchaser's or transferee's date of birth.

The bill is on the desk of Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, where it awaits his consideration. He will have until Oct. 11 to sign or veto the bill. If he does not veto the bill, it will become law.

If you wish to comment on AB 962, you may contact Gov. Schwarzenegger by phone at (916) 445-2841, or via fax at (916) 558-3160. To e-mail Gov. Schwarzenegger, visit
    http://gov.ca.gov/interact

We encourage all Cabela's customers who participate in the shooting sports to contact Gov. Schwarzenegger to voice their opposition to this initiative, which will limit your opportunities to shop with Cabela's, and will restrict the sale of handgun ammunition everywhere in California.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
    - Cornelius Tacitus

My intuition tells me that if this bill becomes law if will do nothing to reduce gun related crimes. In fact, I believe it may expand the black market for firearms by expanding it to include a black market for ammunition.

Are there any California cops here who would give their opinion on my hunch? Do you think my intuition is just indigestion or do you think I make a valid point?

I'm not a professional crime fighter so it's all conjecture on my part. You however are professional crime fighters so your opinions based on your day in day out experiences are quite valuable to me.
    Jubilant Patriotic Republican

America gave Obama the benefit of the doubt when they elected him. Obama is now giving America the doubt of the benefit of his governance......Change you can bereave in!..JPR

Comment

Gun control is a failure. Just look at Chicago.

Comment

Here is the contact information for the governator.

Step 1: Call 916-445-2841 (Governor)
        Step 2: Press 1 for English
        Step 3: Press 2 to comment on a bill
        Step 4: Listen for AB962 option
        Step 5: Press 2 for Oppose (VETO)

I am calling from every phone I can.

If you have a CA area code please do the same.

- Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

I dont think it will help prevent crime...but if im reading it correctly its only making sales of ammunition have to be face to face? So you can still buy as much as you want??

Comment

Originally posted by LAschoolCop View Post
            I dont think it will help prevent crime...but if im reading it correctly its only making sales of ammunition have to be face to face? So you can still buy as much as you want??
            That's how it reads. And one cannot mail order. So it will impact cost effective bulk sales, or sales to those in the boonies who can't really get it any otherway without a long trip out of town.

If you want ammo in CA you have to buy it in person face to face, and document the transaction of the seller and buyer. It's easier to buy a car.

It's one step at a time with these gun control freaks.
            Next is monthly limits. Then next is banning it all together.

I'm going to flip out if reloading is impacted down the road.

- Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

It was a year or two ago when I first heard of this new approach to "gun" control. It has less to do with the firearm and everything to do with making acquisition of ammunition more difficult / expensive. I think gun control advocates see it as a run-around on any 2nd amendment issue...they're not going after guns, they're going after ammunition. Nothing in the 2nd amendment refers to ammunition.

I've read somewhere that gun control advocates have considered the idea that ammuntion be serialized...so Uncle Sam will know who bought each individual round of ammo.
              ...hunter of the shadows is rising...

Comment

Originally posted by SkepticAlways View Post
                It was a year or two ago when I first heard of this new approach to "gun" control. It has less to do with the firearm and everything to do with making acquisition of ammunition more difficult / expensive. I think gun control advocates see it as a run-around on any 2nd amendment issue...they're not going after guns, they're going after ammunition. Nothing in the 2nd amendment refers to ammunition.

I've read somewhere that gun control advocates have considered the idea that ammuntion be serialized...so Uncle Sam will know who bought each individual round of ammo.
                There are several 'ideas' going around......one would be what you brought up (serializing each round)....another would require that each round have 'microdots' in the powder charge, which would be IDed to each box of ammo (never mind that the tech doesn't exist, and would probably interfere in the powder charge anyway)......a third would require that each weapons' firing pin be microstamped, which would leave an unique stamp on the casing after being fired (tech for this doesn't exist either.....never mind the holy hell someone could play with the CSI folks buy scattering a couple of handfuls of brass at the scene...all with 'unique' numbers too)

None of the gun control ideas are about safety......they are about control
                The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

CA can't stop the wholesale smuggling of illegals, what makes them think they can stop the smuggling of boxes of ammo? A box of .45cal is a lot smaller than a full-grown person.

CA is already dead. It just hasn't laid down yet.
                  "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

Originally posted by SCV-Sop View Post
                    Here is the contact information for the governator.

Step 1: Call 916-445-2841 (Governor)
                    Step 2: Press 1 for English
                    Step 3: Press 2 to comment on a bill
                    Step 4: Listen for AB962 option
                    Step 5: Press 2 for Oppose (VETO)

I am calling from every phone I can.

If you have a CA area code please do the same.
                    It's 9:54pm PDT here on the left coast. I just called the number. It was busy! I called it earlier at 9:23pm PDT and it was busy. I think that may be a good sign. Hopefully many people are calling in protest. Hopefully Maria Shriver didn't take the phone off the hook.

Ironically, this is an issue that cuts acrosss party lines among THE PEOPLE. At a local gun range some time back, I stumbled upon a BBQ being hosted by a California Gun Rights group.

Assuming I was speaking with a conservative(one of the fellas running the event) I shared with him my less than admiring views of the civil rights hating Democrats in power in Sacramento.

To my astonishment this guy was a self-proclaimed liberal! He explained to me that the 2nd amendment supporters are alive and well in the Democrat party( He didn't explain, and I didn't ask, why he votes for people who are diametrically opposed to the mission of his organization.)

But the good news is that there are Dems supporting the 2nd Amendment here.

Originally posted by SkepticAlways
                    I think gun control advocates see it as a run-around on any 2nd amendment issue...they're not going after guns, they're going after ammunition. Nothing in the 2nd amendment refers to ammunition.
                    That is definitely correct. Where I live, over the past 30+ years the retail outlets selling ammunition has shrunk at least 90%. Retail outlets selling firearms have shrunk by at least 95%.

I think if this bill passes, the NRA should consider filing suit in federal court. The odds are slim because I believe even if they win in the district court ( which the odds are probably not so good) it would likely be appealed by the state to the infamous rogue 9th circus court of appeals (Has earned the dubious distinction of not only being the most overruled court in the ENTIRE country, but the even more distinguished title of being the most overruled appeals court in the HISTORY of this country).

But if they get lucky and are able to get this thing up to the US Supreme Court before Obama has a chance to appoint any more rogue justices ( rogue= substituting their own personal ideology for the rule of law), then I think there is a good chance that they could win based on the argument that state government is employing the obvious and transparent ruse of using ammunition as a means to deny people their right to keep and bear arms. IMHO of course.

America gave Obama the benefit of the doubt when they elected him. Obama is now giving America the doubt of the benefit of his governance......Change you can bereave in!..JPR

Comment

Originally posted by SkepticAlways View Post

Yeah, you read that somewhere? That 'idea' has been around for a while.
                      The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

I'm sorry for the few real 'Americans' who still live in that state, but I could care less what happens there anymore.
                        The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

10:43pm PDT... I just now got through the busy signal and was able to vote!

Comment

I called at 0630, got thru on first call and voted NO.
                            Retired LASD

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3066 users online. 180 members and 2886 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X