300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Liberal Tells the Truth...

I found an article written by a liberal that I thought was extremely insightful and instructive. (I know- go figure I usually don't find that. Usually they are too busy condemning conservatives and the message gets muddled in the pomposity of protecting their own views).

The author points out some things rather clearly. We have been dancing around much of what she says in the article here on the forum. Maybe she’s a better writer than some of us (she's clearly better than I am), but she clears things up nicely.

She voted for Obama- she had high hopes he would do as advertised. She also hammers Republicans, but her points ring true when she does. That's something the Republicans already know- their party is broken. However, she explains that the Democrats may very well have broken theirs also.

http://www.salon.com/opinion/paglia/...re/index1.html

Some pieces and parts:

By foolishly trying to reduce all objections to healthcare reform to the malevolence of obstructionist Republicans, Democrats have managed to destroy the national coalition that elected Obama and that is unlikely to be repaired. If Obama fails to win reelection, let the blame be first laid at the door of Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, who at a pivotal point threw gasoline on the flames by comparing angry American citizens to Nazis. It is theoretically possible that Obama could turn the situation around with a strong speech on healthcare to Congress this week, but after a summer of grisly hemorrhaging, too much damage has been done. At this point, Democrats' main hope for the 2012 presidential election is that Republicans nominate another hopelessly feeble candidate. Given the GOP's facility for shooting itself in the foot, that may well happen.
    The Democrats made the whole thing worse by the way they addressed it. But she is on point about the Republicans shooting themselves in the foot. I could see that happening again.

But this tonic dose of truth-telling may be too little too late. As an Obama supporter and contributor, I am outraged at the slowness with which the standing army of Democratic consultants and commentators publicly expressed discontent with the administration's strategic missteps this year. I suspect there had been private grumbling all along, but the media warhorses failed to speak out when they should have -- from week one after the inauguration, when Obama went flat as a rug in letting Congress pass that obscenely bloated stimulus package. Had more Democrats protested, the administration would have felt less arrogantly emboldened to jam through a cap-and-trade bill whose costs have made it virtually impossible for an alarmed public to accept the gargantuan expenses of national healthcare reform. (Who is naive enough to believe that Obama's plan would be deficit-neutral? Or that major cuts could be achieved without drastic rationing?)
    She is smart enough to know the healthcare plan will increase the deficit (a major issue for the opponents of it) and that if major cuts are made it can only be achieved by some form of rationing. She understands what will happen. Few on her side will admit it.

Why did it take so long for Democrats to realize that this year's tea party and town hall uprisings were a genuine barometer of widespread public discontent and not simply a staged scenario by kooks and conspirators? First of all, too many political analysts still think that network and cable TV chat shows are the central forums of national debate. But the truly transformative political energy is coming from talk radio and the Web -- both of which Democrat-sponsored proposals have threatened to stifle, in defiance of freedom of speech guarantees in the Bill of Rights. I rarely watch TV anymore except for cooking shows, history and science documentaries, old movies and football. Hence I was blissfully free from the retching overkill that followed the deaths of Michael Jackson and Ted Kennedy -- I never saw a single minute of any of it. It was on talk radio, which I have resumed monitoring around the clock because of the healthcare fiasco, that I heard the passionate voices of callers coming directly from the town hall meetings. Hence I was alerted to the depth and intensity of national sentiment long before others who were watching staged, manipulated TV shows.
    Again, she nailed it. The recent political movement was created by Americans. Average everyday Americans. The Democrats were not able to recognize that. Their inability to do so did a lot of harm to their cause.

Why has the Democratic Party become so arrogantly detached from ordinary Americans? Though they claim to speak for the poor and dispossessed, Democrats have increasingly become the party of an upper-middle-class professional elite, top-heavy with journalists, academics and lawyers (one reason for the hypocritical absence of tort reform in the healthcare bills). Weirdly, given their worship of highly individualistic, secularized self-actualization, such professionals are as a whole amazingly credulous these days about big-government solutions to every social problem. They see no danger in expanding government authority and intrusive, wasteful bureaucracy. This is, I submit, a stunning turn away from the anti-authority and anti-establishment principles of authentic 1960s leftism.
    She’s right. I am a product of the 60s. Democrats didn’t want anything from the government back then. They hated the government. What happened?
    "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Pretty powerful article. What do the other Democrats on this forum think of the article? I would like there take before I were to give my opinion.

Comment

She hits everything right on the head. A plus 1 to the article writer.

Whatever did happen to Democrats despising government?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveOKC View Post
        Pretty powerful article. What do the other Democrats on this forum think of the article? I would like there take before I were to give my opinion.
        On this forum, who would admit to being a Democrat?

But I think that the Democrats did want something from the government in the 1960s: social programs for the poor and affirmative action. They were never libertarians. If they had been libertarians, Ayn Rand would have been a Democrat.
        Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
          On this forum, who would admit to being a Democrat?
          LOL.

Originally posted by DAL View Post
          But I think that the Democrats did want something from the government in the 1960s: social programs for the poor and affirmative action. They were never libertarians. If they had been libertarians, Ayn Rand would have been a Democrat.
          I think they had a mixed message. Many of them wanted little or no government interference or control, but at the same time, they were happy to get all of the free money.
          "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

Originally posted by FNA209 View Post
            I think they had a mixed message. Many of them wanted little or no government interference or control, but at the same time, they were happy to get all of the free money.
            Lyndon Johnson, a quintessential Democrat, introduced the welfare and civil rights programs of the "Great Society."
            Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
            Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Sounds like a pretty smart lady.
              "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer

"Religions do make claims about the universe--the same kinds of claims that scientists make, except they're usually false."

Comment

Honesty. What a concept.
                The All New
                BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

The lady has it right. It's too bad that the Democrat leadership haven't figured it out. The Democrat Party controls both houses of Congress with enough seats to make the Republicans irrelevant. Why then does Obama and the res of the left try to blame the Republicans? A large number of people attending the town hall meetings and tea parties across the country are Democrats. The Obama coalition is falling apart and fighting among themselves. They're doing the same thing that the Republicans have done, they are divided among themselves and no house (or nation) divided against itself will stand.

I believe that it is time to do away with political parties altogether and let candidates run on their stance on the issues of the day. No nation has ever borrowed, taxed and spent itself into prosperity. It is impossible to make a poor person rich by taking more and more wealth from the rich. Before long the rich, who provide jobs by producing goods or providing services will relocate to friendlier shores and take their jobs with them. The government doesn't produce anything and does nothing to stimulate the economy, it can only drain the economy. The federal government is supposed to be severely limited in what it can and cannot do by the U.S. Constitution.

A Democrat controlled congress and Democrat President, FDR, were allowed to create a massive, so called "Administrative Branch" of government. There is no provision for an "Administrative Branch" in our constitution. I don't believe that it is possible to undo all that has been done since FDR, but it must be reduced and certainly can't be allowed to grow larger than it already is. It is simply unsustainable.

Comment

Since many of you seem to think this author has hit so many nails on the head I was wondering what some of the more conservative forum members thought of this part of the article:
                    Having said all that about the failures of my own party, I am not about to let Republicans off the hook. What a backbiting mess the GOP is! It lacks even one credible voice of traditional moral values on the national stage and is addicted to sonorous pieties of pharisaical emptiness. Republican politicians sermonize about the sanctity of marriage while racking up divorces and sexual escapades by the truckload. They assail government overreach and yet support interference in women's control of their own bodies. Advanced whack-a-mole is clearly needed for that yammering smarty-pants Newt Gingrich, who is always so very, very pleased with himself but has yet to produce a single enduring thought. The still inexplicably revered George W. Bush ballooned our national deficits like a drunken sailor and clumsily exacerbated the illegal immigration debate. And bizarrely, the hallucinatory Dick Cheney, a fake-testosterone addict who spooked Bush into a pointless war, continues to be lauded as presidential material.
                    There's more

Which brings us to Afghanistan: Let's get the hell out! While I vociferously opposed the incursion into Iraq, I was always strongly in favor of bombing the mountains of Afghanistan to smithereens in our search for Osama bin Laden and al-Qaida training camps. But committing our land forces to a long, open-ended mission to reshape the political future of that country has been a fool's errand from the start. Every invader has been frustrated and eventually defeated by that maze-like mountain terrain, from Alexander the Great to the Soviet Union. In a larger sense, outsiders will never be able to fix the fate of the roiling peoples of the Near East and Greater Middle East, who have been disputing territorial borderlines and slaughtering each other for 5,000 years. There is too much lingering ethnic and sectarian acrimony for a tranquil solution to be possible for generations to come. The presence of Western military forces merely inflames and prolongs the process and creates new militias of patriotic young radicals who hate us and want to take the war into our own cities. The technological West is too infatuated with easy fixes. But tribally based peoples think in terms of centuries and millennia. They know how to wait us out. Our presence in Afghanistan is not worth the price of any more American lives or treasure.
                    I am going to assume that every point the author made at the expense of Democrat policy is thought of as spot on and the points she made at the expense of the Republican policy are wholly incorrect and misguided.
                    Last edited by Citizen85; 09-22-2009, 08:00 PM.
                    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.”

— John Stuart Mill

Comment

lacks even one credible voice of traditional moral values
                      This I disagree with.
                      There are plenty out there who have moral values, however they are attacked at every turn by "extremist" liberals who do not wish to see the conservative party gain any support from the public. Yes there are bad ones but the few get the limelight. Kind of like what happens to Cops. we know there are bad ones but they do not make up our majority.

Republican politicians sermonize about the sanctity of marriage while racking up divorces and sexual escapades by the truckload.
                      I agree with this statement.
                      We as Republicans must change our status queue if we wish to make our position on the subject more firm. Christ said it best when he said we must first remove the plank from our own eye before we can remove the thorn from our brothers.

Which brings us to Afghanistan: Let's get the hell out!
                      Disagree.
                      Pulling us out now would only help fuel the Extremist Islamic factions fight.
                      they would see it as our weakness and attack us harder.

committing our land forces to a long, open-ended mission to reshape the political future of that country has been a fool's errand from the start.
                      Agree. But what other choice did we have? just lie down and take it? We were placed in a catch 22. We must however make the best of what we have started.

The presence of Western military forces merely inflames and prolongs the process and creates new militias of patriotic young radicals who hate us and want to take the war into our own cities.
                      Disagree/Agree
                      Again another Catch 22 its going to happen either way. In my view I would rather have a rein on it then let them get bigger and stronger without opposition.

Afghanistan is not worth the price of any more American lives or treasure.
                      Agree. 100%

Now I did not mention anything about bush inflating the deficit because that can start a whole new debate. But I wanted you to know that there are those of us that can agree with a liberal even if it is against our own party. To not see the flaws in your political faction means you cannot truly make yourself better

The above comments reflect the personal and unofficial opinions of the poster; and in no way should be taken to indicate any opinion or policy of any government agency.

Comment

I don't agree with everything in the article by a long shot I was just amused at how so many thought the author was "hitting the nail on the head" I was just curious if in light of some of the omitted passages the author was still considered so candid and insightful.
                        "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.”

— John Stuart Mill

Comment

That is true you will always get people who will pick and choose what they like. I think its just human nature. I have friends that refuse to hear anything bad about Obama and refuse anything good about Bush. However, if you said the opposite they would be all game to laugh and join in. I think it has to do with our fear of being wrong. If we recognize bad in our leaders and we placed them there, then we made a mistake, and cannot accept it. But I do believe there are people out there that I have met that can be rational about things and understand that all sides are flawed. I think you may be one of them Citizen. I truly hope you are.

On a side note I think microsoft needs to update its Word program. It keeps wanting to change the name Obama, to Osama.....Kind of disturbing.

The above comments reflect the personal and unofficial opinions of the poster; and in no way should be taken to indicate any opinion or policy of any government agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Citizen85 View Post
                            Since many of you seem to think this author has hit so many nails on the head I was wondering what some of the more conservative forum members thought of this part of the article:
                            I think that is a pretty good summation of the current state of the Republican Party. Ever since the Republicans sold out their conservative base and began a campaign of appeasing the left at every corner, they have been a mere shadow of what the party could be. It will take decisive, conservative leadership to stand up and take the reins to bring the party back to its former glory.

I disagree with her assessment of the Afghanistan situation, wholeheartedly.
                            Originally posted by kontemplerande
                            Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

+1

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
                              I think that is a pretty good summation of the current state of the Republican Party. Ever since the Republicans sold out their conservative base and began a campaign of appeasing the left at every corner, they have been a mere shadow of what the party could be. It will take decisive, conservative leadership to stand up and take the reins to bring the party back to its former glory.

I disagree with her assessment of the Afghanistan situation, wholeheartedly.
                              I Agree 100%.

While I disagree that there are NO conservatives in the Republican Party, the party leadership and too many Republican congressman and senators have attempted to appease the liberal left on too many issues. I didn't agree with all of Bush's policies, but he did know that it isn't possible to negotiate with terrorists and that they are not criminals, but enemy combatants.

I was totally against the TARP bill. If a company isn't making a profit it has one of two choices, either declare bankruptcy and restructure itself in order to make a profit, or close its doors. The TARP bill pails in comparison to the bills pushed through by the Democrats since Barack Obama has been in office. He has added more debt to this nation than every other president in U.S. COMBINED (according to the CBO), including Bush, and is wanting to add even more by creating government run health care.

The tea party and 9/12 movements weren't about Republicans vs. Democrats, they were about political corruption and a bloated federal government that can't sustain itself for very much longer.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5689 users online. 330 members and 5359 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X