Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACORN Workers Suborn Prostitution and Tax Fraud -- CNN

ACORN workers caught on tape allegedly advising on prostitution

(CNN) -- Two employees at the Baltimore, Maryland, branch of the liberal community organizing group ACORN were caught on tape allegedly offering advice to a pair posing as a pimp and prostitute on setting up a prostitution ring and evading the IRS.

The footage, which appears to have been edited in places, was recorded and posted online Thursday.

The video footage -- which has been edited and goes to black in some areas -- was recorded and posted online Thursday by James O'Keefe, a conservative activist. He was joined on the video by another conservative, Hannah Giles, who posed as the prostitute in the filmmakers' undercover sting.

The video shows the pair approaching two women working at the ACORN Baltimore office and asking them for advice on how to set up a prostitution ring involving more than a dozen underage girls from El Salvador.

One of the ACORN workers suggests that Giles refer to herself as a "performing artist" on tax forms and declare some of the girls as dependents to receive child tax credits.

"Stop saying prostitution," the woman, identified by the filmmaker as an ACORN tax expert, tells Giles. The other woman tells them, "You want to keep them clean ... make sure they go to school." Video Watch tape of alleged advice on prostitution »

Both women appear enthusiastic to help.

Calls to ACORN's Baltimore offices were not immediately returned Thursday.

Stuart Katzenberg, lead organizer for ACORN's Maryland chapter, told the Baltimore Sun that both ACORN employees were fired because they "did not meet ACORN's standards of professionalism."

Sonja Merchant-Jones, chair of Baltimore City ACORN, told CNN affiliate WMAR-TV that the fired workers were seasonal, part-time employees and that no senior ACORN staff members were in the building at the time the film was made.

Scott Levenson, a spokesman at ACORN's national offices said, "The portrayal is false and defamatory and an attempt at 'gotcha journalism.'

"This film crew tried to pull this sham at other offices and failed. ACORN wants to see the full video before commenting further," Levenson said.

The conservative filmmakers unsuccessfully attempted similar ruses at the group's offices in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Los Angeles, California, and New York, Levenson said.

Law enforcement officials in the Baltimore area wouldn't confirm whether they are investigating the alleged incident at the local ACORN office. However, authorities said that under Maryland law, such undercover video may not be admissible in court as evidence.

CNN attempted to reach O'Keefe and Giles; O'Keefe was not available for comment and Giles canceled an interview scheduled for Thursday.

ACORN -- an acronym for the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now -- made headlines last year when Republican groups seized on allegations of voter registration fraud by the group in Florida and several other states, claiming its workers were trying to push the election in Barack Obama's favor.

On Wednesday, arrest warrants were issued for 11 Florida voter registration workers suspected of submitting false information on hundreds of voter registration cards, according to court documents. The Florida investigation was triggered by ACORN officials who noticed irregularities in forms they were receiving.

Founded in 1970, ACORN calls itself "the nation's largest grassroots community organization of low- and moderate-income people." The group says it has more than 400,000 member families organized into more than 1,200 neighborhood chapters in 110 cities.

Besides voter registration, the group focuses on issues such as predatory lending, the minimum wage and funding for public schools, according to its Web site. It also provides free tax-return preparation for low-income people and screening for state and federal benefit programs.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

The ACORN Organization is a bunch of thugs supported by this countries federal tax dollars and they need to be put out of business. This video merely proves this fact. Those amateur journalist did their country a great service and I'd love to see what ACORNS former memeber and former lawyer who now sits in the oval office would have to say about it as well as all the liberal diseased news networks such as MSNBC, CNN and CSNBC. So far all I hear are crickets churpping. America needs to wake up. These represenative of ACORN not only need to be charged the whole organization needs to be audited by the IRS. Anything less would be a disgrace and a slap in the face to anyone who pays taxes. So far....churp...churp....churp...nothing!!! Who has jurisdiction? Its a Federal Office and a Federal funded Organization churp..churp..Baltimore P.D?...The FBI???...The IRS??? Charlie Wrangle?? churp...churp..nothing...what gives?
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

Before the day is over they're going to uncover another one about ACORN. Obama will have to work overtime to keep these under wraps.

They need to pull all Federal funding and launch a full investigation and audit.

Comment

Nothing I hear about this organization suprises me anymore.
        "I would rather live one day as a Lion, than a thousand years as a Sheep."

Comment

I saw it on FOX yesterday. Good on CNN for airing it. There's a link on FOX's site to the entire unedited video. The sad thing is that Acorn gets 40% of its' funding from tax dollars, there's no telling how much of this community organizing they've done.

Comment

I don't expect much to be done ref: ACORN while Obama is in office, or Eric Holder runs the Justice Dept. If Obama turns out to be two term President, any meaningful investigation/prosecution of ACORN operatives will not take place for seven more years. Past that, probably not a matter of "if", but, "when".

Comment

I find it encouraging that the story has made it to CNN, because many people have a high degree of skepticism regarding material reported on Fox News. If the over-the-air broadcast networks report it, that will be even better.

Comment

Acorn=Our tax dollars (ie: stimulus money) at work!
                "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                  I find it encouraging that the story has made it to CNN, because many people have a high degree of skepticism regarding material reported on Fox News. If the over-the-air broadcast networks report it, that will be even better.
                  That it made it to CNN is encouraging. Past that, it's also amazing,given CNN's Liberal bias. Could be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                    That it made it to CNN is encouraging. Past that, it's also amazing,given CNN's Liberal bias. Could be interesting.
                    +1 PC FOXS' ratings destroy CNN MSNBC CNBC combined. I would think there obviously aren't THAT MANY people that find skepticism in their reporting.

Comment

Originally posted by kckpd756 View Post
                      +1 PC FOXS' ratings destroy CNN MSNBC CNBC combined. I would think there obviously aren't THAT MANY people that find skepticism in their reporting.
                      Fox is primarily an over-the-air network. Its primary competitors are ABC, CBS and NBC.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                        Fox is primarily an over-the-air network. Its primary competitors are ABC, CBS and NBC.
                        Really? Hmmm see I thought that FNC was a Cable news program. I dunno maybe I'm wrong maybe I'm just crazy seeing how you can only get it if you have cable.

Comment

Originally posted by kckpd756 View Post
                          Really? Hmmm see I thought that FNC was a Cable news program. I dunno maybe I'm wrong maybe I'm just crazy seeing how you can only get it if you have cable.
                          The local Fox affiliates carry news as well. In Los Angeles Fox 11 broadcasts a full hour of news at 10 pm. It also has news shows at other hours. They had quite a bit of coverage of Jeremiah Wright. KCOP 13 also broadcasts Fox News.

Fox's Washington, D.C. affiliate has the story. http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/0910..._acorn_fires_2

Washington's CBS affiliate also has it. http://www.abc2news.com/news/local/s...xEvpwPHYA.cspx

Comment

Well it's out, Washington DC another ACORN office and the same result. They'll probably have to retrain their staff in spotting hidden cameras. It really sad to see the major media fail to report these items. They ignored the Van Jones situation until he resigned so I guess they figured they should at least mention it.

Comment

Originally posted by dadyswat View Post
                              Well it's out, Washington DC another ACORN office and the same result. They'll probably have to retrain their staff in spotting hidden cameras. It really sad to see the major media fail to report these items. They ignored the Van Jones situation until he resigned so I guess they figured they should at least mention it.
                              The liberal media will report news unfavorable to Obama, only with extreme reluctance. We shouldn't be surprised when they do their level best to ignore the activities of ACORN, the virtual Sedition of Jeremiah Wright, or the almost total lack of integrity in Adminstrations such as Bill Clinton's. These are the same clowns who tried to make a hero out of a drunk and a coward in the person of Ted Kennedy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2349 users online. 160 members and 2189 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X