Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama blasts Mass. police for 'stupidly' arresting a black Man

Once again Obama is bad news for Police officer everywhere

WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama said Wednesday that police acted "stupidly" in the arrest of prominent black scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. and that despite racial progress blacks and Hispanics are still singled out unfairly for arrest.

"This still haunts us," Obama said.

Obama called Gates a friend, and said he doesn't know all the facts of the case. Nonetheless, Obama said, anyone would have been angry if treated the way Gates claims police in Cambridge, Mass., treated him. Gates, a Harvard University professor, claims he was arrested in his home after showing ID to police who responded to a report of a possible burglary.

"Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof he was in own home," Obama said during a prime-time news conference that otherwise focused on the health care debate.

Gates' arrest followed a report of a possible burglary. A woman apparently saw Gates force the front door and called police. Police came and demanded that Gates show identification. Gates was arrested shortly afterward for alleged disorderly conduct, a charge that was dropped Tuesday.

"What I think we know separate and apart from this incident is that there's a long history in this country of African-Americans and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately," Obama said. "That's just a fact."

That disparity is a reminder that "race remains a factor in the society," Obama said.

The nation's first black president held himself up as testament to what he called the "incredible progress" minorities have achieved.

The police sergeant accused of racism after he arrested Gates insisted Wednesday that he won't apologize.

Police say Gates at first refused to display ID and then accused the officer of racism.

Sgt. James Crowley said he followed proper procedures in arresting Gates.

Standing in the stately East Room of the White House where he now lives, Obama allowed some humor into the discussion.

Obama ticked off the reported facts of the Gates case -- starting with Gates apparently forgetting his keys and jimmying the door. Police responded appropriately at first, Obama said.

"I mean, if I was trying to jigger into ...," Obama began, and then trailed off as reporters laughed. Obama laughed, too. "Well, I guess this is my house, now so it probably wouldn't happen."

Obama said he could understand police responding in good faith if he was forcing his way into his old house in Chicago.

"Here I'd get shot," he joked.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009...est=latestnews

obama is screwing USA without any Lube

Comment

Let's see....

PO: Excuse me, Sir. I need to talk to you.

Suspect: Yeah, what's up?

PO: We have a report of someone breaking into this house.

Suspect: I live here. My door was stuck and I forced the rear door.

PO: Can I see some ID?

Suspect: Yeah... see, I live here.

PO: Sorry to bother you, Sir.

Suspect: No problem, Officer. Thanks for making sure my house and possessions were safe.

PO: All part of the job- you have a good day.

As opposed to:

Suspect: Yeah, well I live here.

Suspect: @#$% you, you're just picking on me 'cause I'm black. I'm not showing you $h!T!

And the same thing that has happened so many times in the past, happens again. You'd think people would be tired of playing the game.

I ever have to break into my house and someone calls the troopers to report it as suspicious, I'll gladly show them whatever they ask for. I'd be happy people are watching out for me.

And I'd feel a lot safer knowing they can actually find my house if there is ever such a call.
      "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

Gates problem isn't that he's black. His problem is he's stupid. Well educated, but stupid.
        According to him you can be as ignorant as you want and as disorderly as you want as long as you point out that your black.

Obama is just as ignorant for his statement.

Both these men have achieved the highest calling in their fields but yet the minute they get in trouble they claim its because they're black.

Maybe that's how they got to their positions to, it works both ways.
        Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

Is it proper protocol for a sitting president to comment on an arrest that doesn't involve him, or any federal concern, for that matter? To admit that you don't have all the facts, yet still bring up the spectre of "racism," is the height of ignorance and behavior that should be below a head of state.

Didn't take long for the mask to start slipping off, did it? The guy who runs the teleprompter must have had the day off.
          Did I fire six shots, or only five?

Comment

Originally posted by leboxerdogs View Post
            ...said he doesn't know all the facts of the case...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009...est=latestnews
            ...Then shut up...
            This show is awesome, wrapped in supercool and smothered in bitchin. The only way it could be cooler is if he was riding a unicorn or something.

M-11

Comment

Originally posted by FNA209 View Post
              Let's see....

Suspect: I live here. My door was stuck and I forced the rear door.

Suspect: Yeah... see, I live here.

PO: Sorry to bother you, Sir.

Suspect: No problem, Officer. Thanks for making sure my house and possessions were safe.

PO: All part of the job- you have a good day.

As opposed to:

Suspect: Yeah, well I live here.

Suspect: @#$% you, you're just picking on me 'cause I'm black. I'm not showing you $h!T!

And the same thing that has happened so many times in the past, happens again. You'd think people would be tired of playing the game.

I ever have to break into my house and someone calls the troopers to report it as suspicious, I'll gladly show them whatever they ask for. I'd be happy people are watching out for me.

And I'd feel a lot safer knowing they can actually find my house if there is ever such a call.
              If you're not guilty of a crime, and you treat a LEO with respect, regardless of how YOU feel you're being treated = No Disorderly Conduct.
              Simple fact.
              WHY some folk just don't get it?
              I shoot, therefore I am.

Comment

So Obama is insinuating that that this fellow was "profiled."......Hmmmm

Ok, I would suggest that in the future, if someone calls the police and reports someone breaking into this guy's house, the police SHOULD NOT RESPOND unless the alleged perpetrator is white .

In my humble opinion, I think the president acted "stupidly."

http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/Gates_Arrest.pdf

Again he opened his mouth before learning the facts.....Kinda like GITMO.......decided to close it before he figured out what to do with the monsters housed there.

"Stupid is as Stupid does." -- Forrest Gump
                Last edited by JPR; 07-23-2009, 03:43 PM.
                Jubilant Patriotic Republican

America gave Obama the benefit of the doubt when they elected him. Obama is now giving America the doubt of the benefit of his governance......Change you can bereave in!..JPR

Comment

I'm having a problem with these comments from the president. He is siding with a person that he admittedly knows and his story. Now if there is an investigation about this incident and it is found that the police acted unprofessionally then I would have to agree with the president on them acting stupid. Until then, I think the president should of kept his mouth shut!

Comment

What I've read on this, to include the police report amazes me that things have been carried this far. I can't believe that anyone is really behind Gates. I don't see a racial issue here only a stupid man issue. An officer responds to your house for a break in and you respond with "It's because I'm black." Really? The officer should have responded "Yep it's because you're black, if we'd gotten a call that two white guys were breaking in here I would have gone and gotten coffee."

I think Gates should have to appologize to the officers, his neighbors, his community and most of all to the black community that have real racist issues that they deal with on a daily basis, and not a police officer that is attempting to keep his home safe.

(For heaven sake at one point he even mentions the fact that the reason the door doesn't shut right is because of several other robbery attempts.)
                    JINX

Comment

This was pretty stupid of Obama. This would have been a perfect oppourtunity to make one of those typical politically safe comments like, "I don't know the specifics of this particular incident but it is important that we support our law enforcement community while being sensitive to blah blah blah"
                      "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.”

— John Stuart Mill

Comment

I'm usually with Obama...but not this time. I don't think he should have made a comment unless he knew all the facts of the case...and if he did know all the facts of the case, I don't think he would have said the police 'acted stupidly'. I'm familiar with Gates, I've seen a few of his documentaries, read some of his stuff and I respected a lot of it but definietly not this...

As a Black male, I'll say that its refreshing to see the vast majority of the criticism of this case going towards Gates and the people like him who cry racism...as opposed to "Oh, Blacks always cry about this and this and this", etc. I'm glad people can see that not all Blacks or minorities expect some sort of special-treatment or always cry racism. I think that shows we have come a long ways in terms of racial-tolerance in itself...

Comment

Originally posted by DaLAW View Post
                          I'm usually with Obama...but not this time. I don't think he should have made a comment unless he knew all the facts of the case...and if he did know all the facts of the case, I don't think he would have said the police 'acted stupidly'. I'm familiar with Gates, I've seen a few of his documentaries, read some of his stuff and I respected a lot of it but definietly not this...

As a Black male, I'll say that its refreshing to see the vast majority of the criticism of this case going towards Gates and the people like him who cry racism...as opposed to "Oh, Blacks always cry about this and this and this", etc. I'm glad people can see that not all Blacks or minorities expect some sort of special-treatment or always cry racism. I think that shows we have come a long ways in terms of racial-tolerance in itself...
                          Agree 100%...although I've got more than a few friends taking Gates's side in what I see as a very knee-jerk fashion.

What bothers me most about all of this is that every time someone (especially someone of Gates's stature) cries racism where none existed, it makes it all that much harder for those who DO have a case.
                          Hatred never ceases by hatred, but by love alone is healed.
                          Happiness never decreases by being shared. -- Buddhist quotation
                          A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. -- Proverbs 15:1

Comment

Originally posted by Citizen85 View Post
                            This was pretty stupid of Obama. This would have been a perfect oppourtunity to make one of those typical politically safe comments like, "I don't know the specifics of this particular incident but it is important that we support our law enforcement community while being sensitive to blah blah blah"

I have to admit I was pretty shocked. Love or hate him Obama is a master wordsmith. He could have given a neutral answer designed to bring all sides to a common understanding instead of blatantly taking his close friend's side while he did not know all the facts. The fact that he will not back away from the "stupid" comment shows his arrogance and bias. That will not help anyone...
                            Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

Originally posted by rubyrose View Post
                              Agree 100%...although I've got more than a few friends taking Gates's side in what I see as a very knee-jerk fashion.

What bothers me most about all of this is that every time someone (especially someone of Gates's stature) cries racism where none existed, it makes it all that much harder for those who DO have a case.
                              Very true. And I think the police department handled the criticism with a lot of class. The chief said they were "Deeply pained" to hear the Presidents words. The actual arresting officer said he 'respects and supports Obama' but did nothing wrong and won't apologize, etc. It almost makes the absence of...tact...that Obama seemed to display, become even more prominent which is unfortunate...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7405 users online. 401 members and 7004 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X