300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flag upside down? Yay or Nay?

I've noticed some kind of radical conservatives putting the flag upside down, as signaling distress, or a nation in distress. I think it's disrespectful and don't like it, unless it's used for something that it truly symbolizes and there is another civil war or something. Not because things are going just pretty bad right now.

Discuss?
    Fine with it
    10.00%
    Don't like it
    90.00%

I thought it was stupid when the Libs did it when Bush was elected. It's just as stupid now.
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer

"Religions do make claims about the universe--the same kinds of claims that scientists make, except they're usually false."

Comment

Or don't discuss... I want everyones take on this..

Comment

Originally posted by Goose71 View Post
        I thought it was stupid when the Libs did it when Bush was elected. It's just as stupid now.
        +1
        FHP:

1) APPLICATION: 03/2010
        2) PAT: 06/2010 PASSED
        3) POLYGRAPH: 11/2010 PASSED
        4) PSYCHOLOGICAL: 1/2011 PASSED
        5) MEDICAL AND VISION: 2/2011 PASSED
        6) BACKGROUND: PENDING
        7) COLONEL'S DECISION: PENDING
        8) ACADEMY: PENDING

Comment

Ditto...........(is that 10 characters yet?)
          sigpic
          Originally posted by Smurfette
          Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
          Originally posted by DAL
          You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

Not gonna' do it. Wouldn't be right, wouldn't be prudent...

I've said that I'll give him a year before I wear the tee-shirt or attach the bumper sticker which reads: He's not my President!

Perhaps my GWB-hating neighbors will sell me theirs.

Edited to add:
            I am not like those on the left. I'm not a pro-illegal alien protestor. I'm not a hippie. I am not a so-called progressive...and I refuse to behave like one.

I respect my Flag, because after I've fired three volleys, I've stacked my rifle then I've lifted the Flag off a coffin and folded it into the shape of a tri-cornered hat. I've personally have even placed it into the hands of a grieving widow a time, or two, before taking a knee and uttering the words, "On behalf of a grateful...." then rendering her a salute, about facing and stepping away.

So, no, I won't be displaying my Flag upside-down, unless I find myself in distress and need help.

The cool thing, about our side, is that we'll find our own way out, thanks!

And let the others wait for relief....or change.
            Last edited by Kieth M.; 05-19-2009, 11:55 AM.
            "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

An upside-down flag was traditionally a maritime signal- it was a visual signal used to alert a passing vessel/it was a distress call, that something was terribly wrong on board ship. Using it that way regardless of location- to show a serious threat and as a symbol that I need help immediately- is the purpose of displaying it in such a manner.

Of course, our flag enjoys no protections from people misusing it, or even abusing it. People will continue to do both.
              "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

My thoughts exactly
                "We're not in this business for the money. We're not in it for the excitement, and moments like this. Duty, honor, country, service, truth, and justice are good. But you can do that from behind a desk. In the end, you carry a gun and shield out into the field for the sole purpose of confronting the bad guys. The enemy. There is no other reason to be on the front lines." ~Nelson Demille

If your story involves Peanut Butter and an animal - give up now!
                sigpic

Comment

Hanging the flag upside down is a disgrace to the country. I have seen to many soldiers pass away for that flag, then to hang it upside down! I have a flag hanging in my front yard, and it has been hanging up, lit, and NEVER touched the ground for YEARS.

I was always taught to respect the flag, and that it represented not only our country but each one of us, and showed that we are willing to stand up and fight for our rights and beliefs. Both of my parents were military, both of them taught me respect for my country (I would have joined if it wasn't for my heart murmur).

There are many other ways to show their disgust for the way someone is doing something, and hanging the flag upside down only makes the individual seem like they don't love their country. I don't agree with the people in power, but they ARE running MY country, and I will respect MY country until I can get MY rep's in the big house!
                  Originally posted by hobbsie711
                  THAT WAS LIKE A TACTICAL #%#^&$# SLAP!!!
                  "Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I am the baddest mother F****R in the valley."--My Ex-Explorer Advisor!

Comment

Exactly, why sink to their level?
                    A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

Comment

Originally posted by ray8285 View Post
                      Exactly, why sink to their level?
                      You should tell that to the people who here who constantly throw out the, "...but people did it to Bush!", line...

Comment

Originally posted by DaLAW View Post
                        You should tell that to the people who here who constantly throw out the, "...but people did it to Bush!", line...
                        So, DeLaw, if people start adorning their cars with Buck Ofama, you'll criticize that, yet you never probably blinked and thought it was in poor taste the previous four years? That sounds pretty hypocritical.

Are you admitting, like this is the schoolyard, or something that your side can dish it out, but you guys can't take it! Is that it?
                        "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
                          So, DeLaw, if people start adorning their cars with Buck Ofama, you'll criticize that, yet you never probably blinked and thought it was in poor taste the previous four years? That sounds pretty hypocritical.

Are you admitting, like this is the schoolyard, or something that your side can dish it out, but you guys can't take it! Is that it?
                          Good response, Sir!
                          sigpic
                          Originally posted by Smurfette
                          Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
                          Originally posted by DAL
                          You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

+1.

Comment

But the funny thing is, I never respected the people that vehemently *hated* Bush or attacked him based on things that didn't matter to the state of the country. Whether he was an alcoholic in college, whether he did coke, whether he served in the military, etc, etc. Doesn't matter. That's petty stuff. You can have a discussion about those things but to actually attack and try to define or debase his Presidency because of such petty things? Ridiculous. So when people attacked him on it, I almost cringed at the sight of it because it only reduced the real arguments one may take against him or his policies. And if someone has a real argument against him or his policies, or any Presidents, by all means they should express it...

But of course, its easier to assume that all Liberals were ranting and raving about Bush in crude, immature terms...and are now mad that people are doing it to Obama. If your mind works in such abstract, cookie-cutter patterns, why bother attempting to even have an actual conversation? In fact, we really aren't. I'm speaking and you're essentially reading a generic-script off a cue-card:

"Liberal: Hate Bush"

"Liberal: Think Obama is God"

"Liberal: Bad"

Its just childish. Seems as though you are the one who has spent the most time on the 'school-yard' recently...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2458 users online. 157 members and 2301 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X