No announcement yet.

Is It Trout or Bass??

300x250 Mobile

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is It Trout or Bass??

Speaking of Easter, and since this is Saturday morning and a bit more mellow than a week day, I keep forgetting to mention that a late Easter means in some states, the fresh water fishing season will be delayed this year. It's traditional in many states to have the opening day of fresh water season the weekend after Easter, on the theory that (amazingly) there are some who'd find a fighting rainbow trout at the end of a 9-foot handmade bamboo fly rod a more rousing experience than a good sermon. No accounting for folks behavior faced with such choices, so that's why some states save us from ourselves and the trout for an extra few weeks this year.

Our favorite family freshwater lake opening day spot up north was often so crowded that Pappy once said he might be able to 'walk on water' from one side of the lake to the other.

Hard to explain the joys of fly fishing and 'single-egging' for trout to a bass fisherman, though. The main difference seems to be that lake fishing for trout is an early morning, coffee and sandwiches affair, while bass fishermen seem content to sleep in, wait till they can buy cold beer on their way to the lake. -- George Ure,
    Ocean, saltwater
    I don't enjoy fishing

My greatest love is fly fishing for Trout in the Eastern Sierras of California. I fish year around and spend well over 100 days a year fly fishing.

This year marks my 50th year as a fly fishermen.
    Retired LASD

I love trotlining for cats. 3 minutes of work, 4 hours of drinking and sitting on the shore of the river cooking bugs in the turkey fryer.

“All men dream...... But not equally..
      Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
      but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
      for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Originally posted by M-11 View Post
        I love trotlining for cats. 3 minutes of work, 4 hours of drinking and sitting on the shore of the river cooking bugs in the turkey fryer.

Years ago, I used to go out at night to fish for cats. Build a small campfire, just enough to crackle two or three small logs, set the line, and sit around with my friends popping some brewski's. Nothing better than that.

Oh, except fishing with dad when I was a kid. He'd bait the hook with a nice nightcrawler, and watch the bobber all day. Patient as all hell. While my brother and I would play the spinners, the fancy lures, the live bait, the smelly lures, the not-so-smelly fake worms, only to watch dad bring in the 'big one' at the end of the day.

Now then, Stormy, THIS, is a GREAT thread. I knew you had it in ya.
          The All New
          BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
          Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
          - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
            Now then, Stormy, THIS, is a GREAT thread. I knew you had it in ya.
            Thanks, Trooper. I've got plenty more of these in my bag. Here's one you'll enjoy.

ONE LUCKY PENGUIN!!

Trout and Cats are tied for first place. Bass comes in next. There's nothing I enjoy more than wading through a cold stream while dodging red winged black birds or sitting on a dock in the early morning with a gob of chicken liver flung out into the river.

If I can't find trout or cats, then I'll go bass fishing.

Fly fishing for trout............mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
                "Against the machinations of your enemies you can take defense, but against the stupidity of fools, the very gods themselves fight in vain" ~ Johann C.F. Von Schiller

"Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind. With such persons, gullibility, which they call faith, takes the helm from the hand of reason, and the mind becomes a wreck."
                --Thomas Jefferson

How about other like Northern or Muskie?

Fly fishin' for trout!
                    Member NRA
                    Member NYSRPA

Originally posted by Jhelrey View Post
                      How about other like Northern or Muskie?
                      Aye, Pike fishing is great fun.
                      "Friendly Fire, isn't"

What's Going On

There are currently 5814 users online. 253 members and 5561 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad