X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emanuel's idea of Universal Service

http://www.examiner.com/x-536-Civil-...versal-service

Obama's chief of staff choice favors compulsory universal service

Rep. Rahm Emanuel of Illinois, President-Elect Barack Obama's choice for chief of staff in his incoming administration, is co-author of a book, The Plan: Big Ideas for America, that calls for, among other things, compulsory service for all Americans ages 18 to 25. The following excerpt is from pages 61-62 of the 2006 book:

It's time for a real Patriot Act that brings out the patriot in all of us. We propose universal civilian service for every young American. Under this plan, All Americans between the ages of eighteen and twenty-five will be asked to serve their country by going through three months of basic training, civil defense preparation and community service. ...

Here's how it would work. Young people will know that between the ages of eighteen and twenty-five, the nation will enlist them for three months of civilian service. They'll be asked to report for three months of basic civil defense training in their state or community, where they will learn what to do in the event of biochemical, nuclear or conventional attack; how to assist others in an evacuation; how to respond when a levee breaks or we're hit by a natural disaster. These young people will be available to address their communities' most pressing needs.

Emanuel and co-author Bruce Reed insist "this is not a draft," but go on to write of young men and women, "the nation will enlist them for three months of civilian service." They also warn, "[s]ome Republicans will squeal about individual freedom," ruling out any likelihood that they would let people opt out of universal citizen service.

As chief of staff, Emanuel will not be in a position to directly introduce public policy, but his enthusiasm for compulsory service, combined with Barack Obama's own plan to require high school students to perform 50 hours of government-approved service, suggest an unfortunate direction for the new administration.
    'Evil always wins when Good does nothing'-Anonymous

Originally posted by cbr600_kitty View Post
    http://www.examiner.com/x-536-Civil-...versal-service

Obama's chief of staff choice favors compulsory universal service

Rep. Rahm Emanuel of Illinois, President-Elect Barack Obama's choice for chief of staff in his incoming administration, is co-author of a book, The Plan: Big Ideas for America, that calls for, among other things, compulsory service for all Americans ages 18 to 25. The following excerpt is from pages 61-62 of the 2006 book:

It's time for a real Patriot Act that brings out the patriot in all of us. We propose universal civilian service for every young American. Under this plan, All Americans between the ages of eighteen and twenty-five will be asked to serve their country by going through three months of basic training, civil defense preparation and community service. ...

Here's how it would work. Young people will know that between the ages of eighteen and twenty-five, the nation will enlist them for three months of civilian service. They'll be asked to report for three months of basic civil defense training in their state or community, where they will learn what to do in the event of biochemical, nuclear or conventional attack; how to assist others in an evacuation; how to respond when a levee breaks or we're hit by a natural disaster. These young people will be available to address their communities' most pressing needs.

Emanuel and co-author Bruce Reed insist "this is not a draft," but go on to write of young men and women, "the nation will enlist them for three months of civilian service." They also warn, "[s]ome Republicans will squeal about individual freedom," ruling out any likelihood that they would let people opt out of universal citizen service.

As chief of staff, Emanuel will not be in a position to directly introduce public policy, but his enthusiasm for compulsory service, combined with Barack Obama's own plan to require high school students to perform 50 hours of government-approved service, suggest an unfortunate direction for the new administration.
    Emanuel is a Zionist representing Israel's interest's, and will run the WH.

Comment

Guess they missed the part where people can't be forced to work, except for punishment for a criminal conviction. Obama of all people should oppose slavery, and that is exactly what compulsory service is.
      Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
        Guess they missed the part where people can't be forced to work, except for punishment for a criminal conviction. Obama of all people should oppose slavery, and that is exactly what compulsory service is.
        And all those years when we had a military draft for all males 18+, what was that?
        Hatred never ceases by hatred, but by love alone is healed.
        Happiness never decreases by being shared. -- Buddhist quotation
        A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. -- Proverbs 15:1

Comment

It'll never happen. The Congress won't want their kids doing anything dangerous....

Besides, it would ruin our professional military.
          “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

I dunnoooooooo..........

I bet some of those kids are pretty bratty!!!
            'Evil always wins when Good does nothing'-Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by justhomp View Post
              It'll never happen. The Congress won't want their kids doing anything dangerous....

Besides, it would ruin our professional military.
              You make jest, yes? Some of the best soldiers I've served with in Vietnam were US (draftees).

Comment

Its interesting that some of the individuals who rant that Obama is going to "redistribute wealth" to lazy americans who don't do anything -
                are now criticizing him for the theory of making those same people earn their benefits with service to country.

Comment

Originally posted by dlo View Post
                  Its interesting that some of the individuals who rant that Obama is going to "redistribute wealth" to lazy americans who don't do anything -
                  are now criticizing him for the theory of making those same people earn their benefits with service to country.
                  I believe the thinking is 'everyone between the ages of 18 - 25'. You aren't saying that everyone who'll be required to serve their country is 'lazy', and needs to payback for their benefits are you? There may be many who'll fit your description, but there will also be many who will not, because they've worked hard, and don't owe anyone, anything.

Comment

I work just 2 hours shy of a full-time schedule and I go to college full-time, I don't have time for this kind of crap or I mean...uh...civilian service. Yeah it'd be cool if everyone could be trained in what to do during a crisis, but at least make it a voluntary evening or weekend class that you pay for.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post
                      You make jest, yes? Some of the best soldiers I've served with in Vietnam were US (draftees).
                      Stormy,

I'm getting the vibe that you're in support of compulsory service. Am I wrong here?? That REALLY surprises me.

You don't know what justhomp is talking about when he says that it would ruin our professional military? You, ESPECIALLY as a Vietnam vet, should know that a mandatory military service would crumple the [great] system we have. Now, I understand that many many many Draftees were outstanding heroes..... but there's no way you could have forgotten about how low the standards became (for obvious reasons).

I'm not a military man, but even I know that a "compulsory service" would be horrible for the United States' military..... I actually couldn't think of anything worse that could happen to us (besides the budget being cut way back for the military, that is).
                      1*

Comment

I have no problem at all with the idea of compulsory service, but that depends on how that "service" is defined.

I came of age in the Vietnam era. My older brother joined the Air Force in order to avoid the draft and ended up spending a year in DaNang as a medical equipment repairman (a much safer job than if he'd been drafted into the army). My middle brother got conscientious objector status. My youngest brother's birthday was something like 361 in the draft lottery. My husband at the time, like my brother, joined the AF in order to avoid the draft & ended up serving as a weatherman, then obtaining C.O. status and an honorable discharge as such before being sent to Vietnam (the C.O. status order came down about 3 days before his port date).

My family (including my parents, my brothers and my husband) were all opposed to the war. But we did not have any problem at all with the idea that everyone owes some kind of service to their country, whether that be through the military or some other kind of service (such as Peace Corps or AmeriCorps).

Certainly I myself felt it distinctly unfair that only men were subjected to the draft. I would have been a conscientious objector myself, but not to a compulsory service in which I had a choice about the content and nature of that service.

I also find it distinctly unfair that the volunteer army has placed an unfair burden for service on certain families, so that the rest of us can go about our lives without any sense of a need for sacrifice.

While I thoroughly object to compulsory military service I do believe each one of us owes SOMEthing. Without some sense of that we are a nation of ME ME ME's.

If by "re-education" you mean creating a culture in which people understand that being a citizen in the U.S. means GIVING as well as TAKING, well then, I say: bring it on. We desperately need it.

As JFK said: Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country. It's about time we got back to that.

Military service is not the ONLY service you can give. It's time to recognize that.
                        Last edited by rubyrose; 11-09-2008, 02:32 PM.
                        Hatred never ceases by hatred, but by love alone is healed.
                        Happiness never decreases by being shared. -- Buddhist quotation
                        A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. -- Proverbs 15:1

Comment

Originally posted by rubyrose View Post
                          I also find it distinctly unfair that the volunteer army has placed an unfair burden for service on certain families, so that the rest of us can go about our lives without any sense of a need for sacrifice.

While I thoroughly object to compulsory military service I do believe each one of us owes SOMEthing. Without some sense of that we are a nation of ME ME ME's.

If by "re-education" you mean creating a culture in which people understand that being a citizen in the U.S. means GIVING as well as TAKING, well then, I say: bring it on. We desperately need it.
                          I worked as a reserve (unpaid, but fully qualified) police officer for more than six years, some of that time while being employed (paid) at another law enforcement agency. I didn't need or want the government ordering me into involuntary servitude. I provided this service because it would enhance my career potential, much the same as members of our volunteer military enter their profession.

I would never want citizens working with me, who didn't enter the law enforcement profession or any other field of public service because they were forced to do so. Israel has compulsory service out of necessity, they're surrounded by their enemies and in a constant state of war. Our military has never been as well trained, dedicated and professional as it is now. With conscription, the numbers of people involved in public service might increase, but the quality will be dragged down by those whose hearts and minds aren't into it.

We don't need reeducation camps anymore than we need disinterested, part time, temps, who don't have the personal investment in the organizations' long term success that dedicated volunteers do. BTW, the other thing these "temps" do to harm the organizations they enter, is create two levels of employees. Those who become part of the organization (by choice) and those who are just "passing through." The "Me Generation" began when draftees rebelled against the discipline needed for successful teamwork. They aren't needed or wanted now.
                          Last edited by pulicords; 11-09-2008, 02:57 PM.
                          "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

And just who is supposed to pay for this enormous civil service increase? Has he taken a peek at the national debt and economy lately? Can you imagine if Bush had recommended it? So far change isn't looking too good.

Comment

Getting ahead of ourselves folks. The article merely states that's something this Emanuel character thinks is a good idea, doesn't mean it's going to happen... (I hope)

I'm with pullicords, there are enough that "don't want to be there" to cause difficulties in the military, PDs, etc, we don't need to fill "the gaps" with more.
                              “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6863 users online. 389 members and 6474 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X