300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hundreds Turn Out For Anti-Palin Protest

So....we hear from the Hillary women, eh? I think the crowds of Hillary women will increase in size as the seriousness of the vp pick gets up a head of steam. Ya think?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hundreds turn out for anti-Palin protest

By MARY PEMBERTON
    The Associated Press

Anchorage Daily News
    Published: September 13th, 2008 05:01 PM
    Last Modified: September 13th, 2008 07:13 PM

Photo by BOB HALLINEN / Anchorage Daily News /

Organizers estimated that 1500 people showed up at the "AK Women Reject Palin Non-Partisan Rally" on Saturday September 13, 2008 on 36th Avenue in front of the ZJ Loussac Library. A number of Governor Sarah Palin supporters attended.

Hundreds of people protesting the policies of Republican vice presidential candidate and Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin lined a busy street on Saturday, waving signs and chanting, "Obama!"

The protest came about two hours after Palin delivered a rousing speech at Anchorage's new convention center before leaving the state to return to the campaign trail.

The protesters, including supporters of presidential candidate Barack Obama and those who don't agree with Palin's positions on abortion, polar bears, Iraq and other issues, lined one side of the street near the Loussac Library.

A much smaller number of mostly pro-Palin supporters were on the other side of the street, chanting, "Sarah! Sarah!"

Police were at the scene, but there were no immediate reports of clashes.

Angie Doroff, 46, helped organize the rally. The wildlife biologist, yoga teacher and artist said she was pleased and surprised at how many people showed up.

"We're not alone. A lot of people are worried about the nomination of Sarah Palin," Doroff said as cars drove by, drivers honking their horns in support.

Barbara Norton, a 56-year-old midwife, stood near a sign that read, "Alaskan Women for Choice."

"I think America does not understand how absolutely extreme her positions are - even to the right of George Bush and John McCain," Norton said. "She is frightening."

Anne Applegate-Scott, a 44-year-old attorney and stay-at-home mom, held a sign that said, "I don't vote for liars." Applegate-Scott said she actually voted for Palin for governor but won't vote for the McCain-Palin ticket. Palin, she thinks, has become a "product" of McCain handlers and they won't let her talk to the media.

When Palin does talk, Applegate-Scott accused her of lying about her record.

"She lied about her position on earmarks and building the bridge," Applegate-Scott said, referring to the infamous Bridge to Nowhere. "She talks about her being a feminist but it is convenient feminism; it doesn't cost her anything."

One woman held a sign that read, "I'm Bail'in on Palin!" Another read, "Pro Woman, Anti-Palin." Another read, "What About Healthcare?"

One person strolled through the crowd in a polar bear suit. The bear was holding a sign that said, "Polar bear moms say No to Palin," a reference to Palin's opposition to placing the polar bear on the threatened species list because that could interfere with drilling for oil off Alaska's coast.

As more people gathered, the rally took on the look of a large family gathering, with protesters hugging each other and exclaiming their surprise that so many people had gathered.

On the lawn outside the library two men held up a large banner that said, "Iraq War is Fraud. Palin is a puppet." One of the men waved an Alaska state flag.

Some of the signs spoke out against Palin's anti-abortion position. Laura Kimmel, a 40-year-old Anchorage woman expecting her second baby in April, wore a clothes hanger with a sign attached that read, "This is not a surgical instrument. Keep abortions safe and legal."

Susan Soule, 65, a part-time health consultant, said she is old enough to remember when abortion wasn't legal and what women went through who wanted to terminate their pregnancies.

"I know the terror of unwanted pregnancy and back-room abortions. I know what that did to women," said Soule.

Hilary Seitz, 39, attended the rally with her two girls, 8-year-old Abbigale and 11-year-old Taylor. If McCain becomes president and Palin is the VP, Seitz said, she fears what will happen on the Supreme Court and keeping abortion legal.

"It really scares me that if we lose that option, what are women going to do," Seitz said. She said that she was at the rally for her girls and their futures.

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story/525008.html

Y'know, women really do belong in the kitchen, don't they. Barefoot, pregnant and knowing their place as subservient to men.

Apparently even these folks want to keep that role alive.

WHo am I to argue.
    The All New
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Hundreds Huh?

Wow.

More people than that protested the new Wal Mart in my Home town.

Why is this news?

M-11
      “All men dream...... But not equally..
      Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
      but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
      for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by M-11 View Post
        Hundreds Huh?

Wow.

Why is this news?

M-11
        It isn't. Stormy has become indoctrinated into the Palin Deraingement Sydrome, like all of his pals here.

You know the players.
        The All New
        Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
        - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

:
          Originally Posted by M-11 View Post
          Hundreds Huh?

Wow.

Why is this news?

M-11
          Originally posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
          It isn't. Stormy has become indoctrinated into the Palin Deraingement Sydrome, like all of his pals here.

You know the players.
          Ah, but it is news, Trooper. The Anchorage Daily thinks it's news, the internet thinks it's news, the 1,800 protestors think it's news, and I think it's news. Except, that is, for some of you 'Tailin' Palin for the Nailin' macho kinda guys who don't.

I still think it was a stroke of genius to choose Palin for the vp slot. It takes away from the stale air surrounding McCain's memory loss problems, and his undecided position whether to be seen standing next to Bush #2 for the photo-ops, or not. I think he chose, or not.

I've been fair, and posted articles for Palin. So don't pidgeon hole me in the PDS (Palin Derangement Syndrome) club.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post
            Ah, but it is news, Trooper. The Anchorage Daily thinks it's news, the internet thinks it's news, the 1,800 protestors think it's news, and I think it's news. Except, that is, for some of you 'Tailin' Palin for the Nailin' macho kinda guys who don't.

I still think it was a stroke of genius to choose Palin for the vp slot. It takes away from the stale air surrounding McCain's memory loss problems, and his undecided position whether to be seen standing next to Bush #2 for the photo-ops, or not. I think he chose, or not.

I've been fair, and posted articles for Palin. So don't pidgeon hole me in the PDS (Palin Derangement Syndrome) club.
            Actually, you're kinda like the press - denying it all the waqy but ignoring the facts. Your threads are 80% to 20% against McCain / Palin. I counted.
            The All New
            - M1Garand

Comment

Hmm....the life of a polar bear has more value than an unborn baby.

Did I read that correctly.......
              "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Libs are all screwed up with their love of frogs instead of babies. But they are just plain smarters than us though ......
                Space for rent .........

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
                  Y'know, women really do belong in the kitchen, don't they. Barefoot, pregnant and knowing their place as subservient to men.

Apparently even these folks want to keep that role alive.

WHo am I to argue.
                  This has been the conservative religious rights view all along. Does anyone not see this? Its weird how it reversed. Evangelicals think a woman's place is in the kitchen, now they think Palin can be VP with 5 kids. On the flip, feminist "libs" are saying the opposite....
                  "Against the machinations of your enemies you can take defense, but against the stupidity of fools, the very gods themselves fight in vain" ~ Johann C.F. Von Schiller

"Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind. With such persons, gullibility, which they call faith, takes the helm from the hand of reason, and the mind becomes a wreck."
                  --Thomas Jefferson

Comment

11-year-old Taylor. If McCain becomes president and Palin is the VP, Seitz said, she fears what will happen on the Supreme Court and keeping abortion legal.
                    WELL GEE, Taylor, it's a good thing your out there using your 1A rights, in fact, abortion shouldn't be an issue for you until your at least 18... I mean c'mon.

Comment

Originally posted by M-11 View Post
                      Hundreds Huh?

Wow.

Why is this news?

M-11
                      I thought the same thing when I read the title. "Hundreds? Wow, that's quite the opposition."

Comment

Pssh, there were probably more people at a Florida Marlins game then at that "protest"...
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GrndPnd0311 View Post
                          This has been the conservative religious rights view all along. Does anyone not see this? Its weird how it reversed. Evangelicals think a woman's place is in the kitchen, now they think Palin can be VP with 5 kids. On the flip, feminist "libs" are saying the opposite....
                          Since you're not an evangelical, how do you know exactly how they think?
                          For every one hundred men you send us,
                          Ten should not even be here.
                          Eighty are nothing but targets.
                          Nine of them are real fighters;
                          We are lucky to have them, they the battle make.
                          Ah, but the one. One of them is a warrior.
                          And he will bring the others back.

Comment

Originally posted by (S)Sgt Elmer View Post
                            Since you're not an evangelical, how do you know exactly how they think?
                            So you make an assumption that I am not based on my views?
                            "Against the machinations of your enemies you can take defense, but against the stupidity of fools, the very gods themselves fight in vain" ~ Johann C.F. Von Schiller

"Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind. With such persons, gullibility, which they call faith, takes the helm from the hand of reason, and the mind becomes a wreck."
                            --Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by GrndPnd0311 View Post
                              So you make an assumption that I am not based on my views?
                              Uh......yep! I'd say that's about right on the money.

I (as well as others) come to conclusions based on what their beliefs are. I'd say he assumed correctly.
                              1*

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5763 users online. 344 members and 5419 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X