300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama's New add mocks McCain's POW disability

Now when I saw this, I couldn't believe it was real, and if I hadn't seen it on CNN I would have thought it was more of that "Obama is a Muslim terrorist" nonsense. Unfortunately no-- this is Obama's own stupidity and ignorance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ2I0t_Twk0

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/09...y4443995.shtml

The add talks about McCain being from the 80's etc, and says "Things have changed in the last 26 years. But McCain hasn’t. He admits he still doesn’t know how to use a computer, can’t send an email"

McCain can certainly use a computer and he does send emails. He doesn't type his emails because of the pain from his POW beatings

From Forbes:

In certain ways, McCain was a natural Web candidate. Chairman of the Senate Telecommunications Subcommittee and regarded as the U.S. Senate’s savviest technologist, McCain is an inveterate devotee of email. His nightly ritual is to read his email together with his wife, Cindy. The injuries he incurred as a Vietnam POW make it painful for McCain to type. Instead, he dictates responses that his wife types on a laptop. “She’s a whiz on the keyboard, and I’m so laborious,” McCain admits.
    http://www.forbes.com/asap/2000/0529/053_print.html

Or the Boston Globe:
    McCain gets emotional at the mention of military families needing food stamps or veterans lacking health care. The outrage comes from inside: McCain's severe war injuries prevent him from combing his hair, typing on a keyboard, or tying his shoes. Friends marvel at McCain's encyclopedic knowledge of sports. He's an avid fan - Ted Williams is his hero - but he can't raise his arm above his shoulder to throw a baseball.
    http://graphics.boston.com/news/poli...a_fault+.shtml

Since the whole point of the ad was that McCain in tech inept, what does it say about that Obama's staff that they couldn't do a simple google or Nexis search? I'm giving them the benefit of a doubt here, since I really hope they didn't intentionally mock his scarred body. The last part of the commercial is the standard, "I'm Barrack Obama and I approved this message" I really hope that's not true.

All in all, the add disgusts me completely. If you need something to mock a candidate for, why don't you pick something besides a disability that he suffered from years in captivity for his country. I don't agree with McCain on every point, but I thought we could all agree that his service, courage, and suffering deserved our gratitude. Unfortunately it's just another punch line to some.

Originally posted by hpd33 View Post
    Now when I saw this, I couldn't believe it was real, and if I hadn't seen it on CNN I would have thought it was more of that "Obama is a Muslim terrorist" nonsense. Unfortunately no-- this is Obama's own stupidity and ignorance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ2I0t_Twk0

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/09...y4443995.shtml

The add talks about McCain being from the 80's etc, and says "Things have changed in the last 26 years. But McCain hasn’t. He admits he still doesn’t know how to use a computer, can’t send an email"

McCain can certainly use a computer and he does send emails. He doesn't type his emails because of the pain from his POW beatings

From Forbes:

In certain ways, McCain was a natural Web candidate. Chairman of the Senate Telecommunications Subcommittee and regarded as the U.S. Senate’s savviest technologist, McCain is an inveterate devotee of email. His nightly ritual is to read his email together with his wife, Cindy. The injuries he incurred as a Vietnam POW make it painful for McCain to type. Instead, he dictates responses that his wife types on a laptop. “She’s a whiz on the keyboard, and I’m so laborious,” McCain admits.
    http://www.forbes.com/asap/2000/0529/053_print.html

Or the Boston Globe:
    McCain gets emotional at the mention of military families needing food stamps or veterans lacking health care. The outrage comes from inside: McCain's severe war injuries prevent him from combing his hair, typing on a keyboard, or tying his shoes. Friends marvel at McCain's encyclopedic knowledge of sports. He's an avid fan - Ted Williams is his hero - but he can't raise his arm above his shoulder to throw a baseball.

Since the whole point of the ad was that McCain in tech inept, what does it say about that Obama's staff that they couldn't do a simple google or Nexis search? I'm giving them the benefit of a doubt here, since I really hope they didn't intentionally mock his scarred body. The last part of the commercial is the standard, "I'm Barrack Obama and I approved this message" I really hope that's not true.

All in all, the add disgusts me completely. If you need something to mock a candidate for, why don't you pick something besides a disability that he suffered from years in captivity for his country. I don't agree with McCain on every point, but I thought we could all agree that his service, courage, and suffering deserved our gratitude. Unfortunately it's just another punch line to some.
    I don't see where he mocks his disability.
    Last edited by Stormy; 11-02-2008, 12:33 AM.

Comment

The ad laughs that he can't send email. However, in the news articles I cited, it's clear that he sends email-- he just can't TYPE them. HE can't type them because his hands were broken and mangled with years of torture. It's kinda like mocking a amputee Vet for having a hitch in his step when he walks.

Comment

That is stretching it, hpd33...

This is the first time I've heard of his inability to write an email stemming from his POW beatings.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post
          I don't see where he mocks his disability. He can't use a computer, but doesn't say anything about his typing ability? How does that connect with his POW years? He can't send an email? How does that connect with his POW years? McCain is inept? Now Obama has got something. Most likely long before his POW years.
          Err.....

Or the Boston Globe:

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post
            I don't see where he mocks his disability. He can't use a computer, but doesn't say anything about his typing ability? How does that connect with his POW years? He can't send an email? How does that connect with his POW years? McCain is inept? Now Obama has got something. Most likely long before his POW years.
            Not smart enough to run a computer? Obviously, Obama has never seen the cockpit of a Navy jet fighter/bomber.

Obama is just preaching to his choir with stuff like this. If he wants to get his campaign out of free fall, he needs to do a little better than this.

Comment

McCain does not talk much about the harsh realities of Hanoi-- HE talks about being there, not about being unable to comb his hair. If it's the first time you've heard of it, check the links, google the issue. McCain simply comes from a different time. where you overcome your disabilities, not go around talking about them.

Comment

You're spinning the ad to make it worse than it is. Actually, spinning is too nice a term. You're purposely distorting the truth to try and smear Obama. In effect, you're a liar...

The theme of the ad is that McCain is an old geezer and out-of-touch with the current generation. This generation is based on technology and computers. By saying McCain doesn't know how to use the internet/computers/email is to emphasize he is out of touch. Nobody mocked him for his POW disabilities...

To be honest, McCain supporters (not McCain himself) are reaching Rudy Giuliani levels of exploitation. Its getting disgusting. Do they think he is running for President of the United States or President of the Masochist Club?

Comment

Originally posted by DaLAW View Post
                  You're spinning the ad to make it worse than it is. Actually, spinning is too nice a term. You're purposely distorting the truth to try and smear Obama. In effect, you're a liar...

The theme of the ad is that McCain is an old geezer and out-of-touch with the current generation. This generation is based on technology and computers. By saying McCain doesn't know how to use the internet/computers/email is to emphasize he is out of touch. Nobody mocked him for his POW disabilities...

To be honest, McCain supporters (not McCain himself) are reaching Rudy Giuliani levels of exploitation. Its getting disgusting. Do they think he is running for President of the United States or President of the Masochist Club?

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                    If an idiot rolls his eyes and there are intelligent people around, does his input make an influence on the discussion? We shall see...

Comment

Well, wouldn't the fact that he has a disability that prevents him from using a keyboard be the reason he didn't learn to send emails as opposed to him being out of touch?

Yeah, maybe the idea wasn't to mock him. However, a bit of research goes a long way.

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex Army MP View Post
                        Well, wouldn't the fact that he has a disability that prevents him from using a keyboard be the reason he didn't learn to send emails as opposed to him being out of touch?

Yeah, maybe the idea wasn't to mock him. However, a bit of research goes a long way.
                        A little bit of research DOES go a long way. Video evidence:

1) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/0..._n_106478.html

"Neither, I am an illiterate that has to rely on my wife for all the assistance I can get" - John McCain on which is his preference: Mac or PC. So...he admits he is computer-ILLITERATE. He didn't mention his POW-injuries as being UNABLE to use the computer, he said ILLITERATE in regards to computers. I don't dispute the fact that he couldn't use a computer to type because of his injuries, I am simply stating that he, John McCain, himself said he is ILLITERATE in regards to computers...

So...thread-over...

Comment

I hate this election.

Comment

I don't think Obama's people meant anything by it. I think they thought it was a clever ad, never even ran it by any grown ups who were alive during the Vietnam War who could have warned them, and group think took over.

Of course he can use a computer. The A-4 that McCain flew in Vietnam had a computer (although a very early model with a processor that seems ancient compared to what we have today). It had to have a computerized bombing program for its original purpose, a single seat bomber designed to carry a single nuclear weapon.

BUt, I'll bet no one was more shocked than the guy who thought this ad up when somebody told him that he's right, McCain can't send e-mails, he can't even use a keyboard, because his hands are too damaged from being tortured. In fact, I bet the guy who thought that ad up threw up when he heard (at least they didn't say McCain doesn't know how to tie his own shoes, something else his injuries prevent).

It reminds me of the old joke we would play in junior high, "He, go ask Joey how his sister dances". And Joey, being in on it would say his sister had Polio (a former crippling disease, once well know in the country, for those to young to remember the Vietnam war or polio).

Obama's campaign is guilty of stupidity, not cruelty.
                            Last edited by Group 29; 09-13-2008, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Group 29 View Post
                              I don't think Obama's people meant anything by it. I think they thought it was a clever ad, never even ran it by any grown ups who were alive during the Vietnam War who could have warned them, and group think took over.

I'll bet no one was more shocked than the guy who thought this ad up when somebody told him that he's right, McCain can't send e-mails, he can't even use a keyboard, because his hands are too damaged from being tortured. In fact, I bet the guy who thought that ad up threw up when he heard (at least they didn't say McCain doesn't know how to tie his own shoes, something else his injuries prevent).

It reminds me of the old joke we would play in junior high, "He, go ask Joey how his sister dances". And Joey, being in on it would say his sister had Polio (a former crippling disease, once well know in the country, for those to young to remember the Vietnam war or polio).

Obama's campaign is guilty of stupidity, not cruelty.
                              I respect your opinion and understand what you are saying. However, do to the video I posted, I disagree with the assertion you make. McCain himself said he is computer-illiterate. Being computer illiterate has NOTHING to do with not being able to PHYSICALLY use a keyboard...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5880 users online. 345 members and 5535 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X