300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something To Ponder On - 9/11

I read George Ure, religiously, every morning. For those of you into survival, this is the site to visit once in awhile.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

A "Perfect" Terrorist Threat

I was talking to my tax attorney on Wednesday about this and I passed on to him that one of the concerns I have is that America could be hit with a large-scale attack on its electrical power infrastructure by enemies of the Country. I mean, think about it: Not only could an attack on the grid cause a lock-up of the economy, trigger force majeure clauses for the Banksters, but it would also spur a huge resurgence of support for America's long overdue infrastructure rebuilding, not to mention shutting down the Internet - at least briefly - and thus curtailing what would be sure to be instant speculation that a false flag operation was at the heart of things. (Again?)

I then told him that on this distant outlier possibility, I had stashed a couple of November 72.5 calls in Caterpillar - not because it would result in earth-moving, but because CAT is one of the biggest plays in heavy duty back-up power systems. They moved seriously into the backup power market long before their large-scale UPS products prior to 2000.

I then went on to explain how there were certain non-U.S. companies that seemed to be buying up everything in the way of power-related companies, whether their expertise was in inverters or public power network system controls. I was wondering if that might not also be a good play. I won't mention which French company is doing exactly this and growing revenues extremely fast...

Then we got to wondering about where the money was coming from for such acquisitions and he told me the story of the precision weight measurement company up in the Toledo (OH) area that was sold to non-U.S. interests a while back. He explained that it really makes sense for Chinese money, either directly of through proxies elsewhere, to buy up U.S. companies, bleed them dry of all their manufacturing expertise and then slowly shut them down. As a bonus, along the way they get key intellectual property and whatever U.S. (and Canadian) researchers have been working on.

---

No, an attack on the U.S. power grid doesn't seem possible as the big life-changer which in the predictive linguistics work is coming in the opening days of October. The grid is just too darn big and there's no single intertie. Besides, who needs terrorists when a couple of chipmunks and a failed insulator can take down the whole Northeast?

Still, as a scenario planning tool, an attack (false flag or otherwise) on the power infrastructure of America because it could impair or cripple so much of life as we know it. Consider the list of things that would come with a failed grid even if for only a week:

• Gas stations without a backup generator would not be able to pump gas. Damn, there goes the commute.

• Delivery systems for food and groceries would seize up. No power means no computers and that means no order processing in the warehouses of America.

• Then there are the municipal water and sewage operations that depend on electrical power. Sure, there are backups, but how long would the SPR work before running dry? Besides, how's energy going to move around.

• And then there's the litany of personal inconvenience: No ATM's, so without cash, no one would be able to buy anything. Bye to the morning Grande's.

• And even with cash, you'd be S.O.L. because the cash registers and the back-end inventory systems would be shut down. Again, the case is made for buying a couple of three CAT options to run over the high risk months because a modern store sucks up tons of energy to run refrigeration and freezers, HVAC and lights, I mean besides the checkout counters, conveyer belts and what-have-yous.

• And then there's the excuse to seize the internet that would come part and parcel. Everything but state-approved paradigm parrots would be banned (anti-America" and "potential terrorists!") and the final imposition of the intellectual lockdown would be complete.

• Personal comfort disappears along the way. No hot water to shower, no coffee maker, no coffee - no coffee, no coffee, OMG nO COFFEE! Remind me to weld up a tripod for brewing over and open fire... (Note to self: Fill all the propane bottoles for the BBQ's this weekend!).

• And even when the power comes back on, there's be the problem of restocking everything perishable in the foodchain which would have spoiled.

No, it's not a pretty scenario, but thinking the unthinkable is what the goats and 30 acres have driven me to..

I asked the time monks to have a look at the concept as it relates to October, in part because we have all that leftover unfulfilled language about a 'regional power failure' which is so far unfilled. Frankly, they didn't seem to concerned about it, noting only that if you planned well for a week or two without any power, then you'd likely be well positioned for anything else that came along: earthquake, war, dirty whatevers in general.

Life without an ATM? Coffee maker? Hot shower? Even for a few days, an event of this type would spin a lot of Americans toward an attack on 'net freedom, not to mention spinning it up as "an attack traced back to (Iranian? 'Other' Middle East) hackers and that would set up...oh, you got the picture. Hand me my coffee...

http://www.urbansurvival.com/week.htm

He seems to not fully understand the way the powergrid is setup or managed. It would be damn near impossible for terrorists to do enough damage in order to shut down the entire grid anywhere.

On top of that the DoE has a "force on force" style, scenario based, system set up to constantly test the security and response to an attack on their plants/reactors, and often loan their people out to the private companies to test their own stuff.
    “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

People would be ****ed at first, then just go camping until the lights come back on.

I would not make a run at out power plants. They are more secure than you think.

M-11
      “All men dream...... But not equally..
      Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
      but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
      for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Makes for a good case for solar power, though! At least out here in the west, solar technology is advancing at a healthy clip, pretty soon most homeowners will be able to produce enough power to get by... (won't keep the air-con running 24/7, but...).

But yeah, I can think of more effective methods of terrorizing the populace... just start bombing malls across the country, etc... Who wants their last minutes on earth to be spent standing in line at Cinnabon?

Comment

Hank said it best... "I got a shotgun, rifle, and four wheel drive... and a country boy can survive!"

Comment

You want to terrorize the masses? Three letters.

I.E.D.
            “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Originally posted by justhomp View Post

I.E.D.
              I can't remember why, but I just thought today of you mentioning that once. A thought that truly scares me...

Comment

I.E.D.
                Yup.....a couple of VBEDs on major streets......or a few suicide bombers in the malls.......
                The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by Hoosier_Boy View Post
                  Hank said it best... "I got a shotgun, rifle, and four wheel drive... and a country boy can survive!"
                  indeed good sir

I'd build a wind turbine outside my house. Problem solved
                  Last edited by exdrip; 09-12-2008, 01:43 AM.
                  "Friendly Fire, isn't"

Comment

He seems to not fully understand the way the powergrid is setup or managed. It would be damn near impossible for terrorists to do enough damage in order to shut down the entire grid anywhere.

On top of that the DoE has a "force on force" style, scenario based, system set up to constantly test the security and response to an attack on their plants/reactors, and often loan their people out to the private companies to test their own stuff.
                    While it would be very difficult to take down the entire grid, large portions of it can pretty easily be compromised. The key, as with the major black outs, is not to target power plants but to target distribution. The distribution system is fairly weak and if targeted properly (or merely fails on its own in a certain way) would cut power to large parts of the country, AND it would cause a surge which would cause widespread damage to generators and transformer stations if not caught in time. The system is old and cobbled together, its not very strong.

However, I think you're right that a few IEDs in random places would cause more panic for less money and effort. The more random the better, so that people never know when or where to expect them. Big cities, small towns, shopping malls and convenience stores. Never being able to say, "I don't live next to a terrorist target."

Comment

The day I.E.D.'s and V.B.I.E.D.'s are blatantly going off in public places, will be the day me and other people will stop at nothing to end it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6418 users online. 375 members and 6043 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X