300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secret killing program is key in Iraq, Woodward says

I can't see what is at all surprising about this.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The dramatic drop in violence in Iraq is due in large part to a secret program the U.S. military has used to kill terrorists, according to a new book by Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Bob Woodward.

he program -- which Woodward compares to the World War II era Manhattan Project that developed the atomic bomb -- must remain secret for now or it would "get people killed," Woodward said Monday on CNN's Larry King Live.

"It is a wonderful example of American ingenuity solving a problem in war, as we often have," Woodward said.

In "The War Within: Secret White House History 2006-2008," Woodward disclosed the existence of secret operational capabilities developed by the military to locate, target and kill leaders of al Qaeda in Iraq and other insurgent leaders.

National security adviser Stephen Hadley, in a written statement reacting to Woodward's book, acknowledged the new strategy. Yet he disputed Woodward's conclusion that the "surge" of 30,000 U.S. troops into Iraq was not the primary reason for the decline in violent attacks.

"It was the surge that provided more resources and a security context to support newly developed techniques and operations," Hadley wrote.

Woodward, associate editor of the Washington Post, wrote that along with the surge and the new covert tactics, two other factors helped reduce the violence.Video Watch Bob Woodward explain the strategy »

One was the decision of militant cleric Muqtada al-Sadr to order a cease-fire by his Mehdi Army. The other was the "Anbar Awakening" movement that saw Sunni tribes aligning with U.S. troops to battle al Qaeda in Iraq.

Woodward told Larry King that while there is a debate over how much credit the new secret operations should get for the drop in violence, he concluded it "accounts for a good portion."

"I would somewhat compare it to the Manhattan Project in World War II," he said "It's a ski slope right down in a matter of months, cutting the violence in half. This isn't going to happen with the bunch of joint security stations or the surge."

The top secret operations, he said, will "some day in history ... be described to people's amazement."

While he would not reveal the details, Woodward said the terrorists who have been targeted were already aware of the capabilities.

"The enemy has a heads up because they've been getting wiped out and a lot of them have been killed," he said. "It's not news to them.

"If you were a member of al Qaeda or the resistance or some extremist militia, you would be wise to get your rear end out of town," Woodward said. "It is very dangerous."
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Man, not Woodward again.
    The All New
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
      I can't see what is at all surprising about this.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The dramatic drop in violence in Iraq is due in large part to a secret program the U.S. military has used to kill terrorists, according to a new book by Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Bob Woodward.

he program -- which Woodward compares to the World War II era Manhattan Project that developed the atomic bomb -- must remain secret for now or it would "get people killed," Woodward said Monday on CNN's Larry King Live.

"It is a wonderful example of American ingenuity solving a problem in war, as we often have," Woodward said.

In "The War Within: Secret White House History 2006-2008," Woodward disclosed the existence of secret operational capabilities developed by the military to locate, target and kill leaders of al Qaeda in Iraq and other insurgent leaders.

National security adviser Stephen Hadley, in a written statement reacting to Woodward's book, acknowledged the new strategy. Yet he disputed Woodward's conclusion that the "surge" of 30,000 U.S. troops into Iraq was not the primary reason for the decline in violent attacks.

"It was the surge that provided more resources and a security context to support newly developed techniques and operations," Hadley wrote.

Woodward, associate editor of the Washington Post, wrote that along with the surge and the new covert tactics, two other factors helped reduce the violence.Video Watch Bob Woodward explain the strategy »

One was the decision of militant cleric Muqtada al-Sadr to order a cease-fire by his Mehdi Army. The other was the "Anbar Awakening" movement that saw Sunni tribes aligning with U.S. troops to battle al Qaeda in Iraq.

Woodward told Larry King that while there is a debate over how much credit the new secret operations should get for the drop in violence, he concluded it "accounts for a good portion."

"I would somewhat compare it to the Manhattan Project in World War II," he said "It's a ski slope right down in a matter of months, cutting the violence in half. This isn't going to happen with the bunch of joint security stations or the surge."

The top secret operations, he said, will "some day in history ... be described to people's amazement."

While he would not reveal the details, Woodward said the terrorists who have been targeted were already aware of the capabilities.

"The enemy has a heads up because they've been getting wiped out and a lot of them have been killed," he said. "It's not news to them.

"If you were a member of al Qaeda or the resistance or some extremist militia, you would be wise to get your rear end out of town," Woodward said. "It is very dangerous."
      Not that I necessarily agree with it but:
      Section 2.11 of Executive Order 12333 states:
      No person employed by or acting on behalf of the United States Government shall engage in, or conspire to engage in, assassination.

Thats the only thing I can see that is going to cause a little debate....
      "Against the machinations of your enemies you can take defense, but against the stupidity of fools, the very gods themselves fight in vain" ~ Johann C.F. Von Schiller

"Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind. With such persons, gullibility, which they call faith, takes the helm from the hand of reason, and the mind becomes a wreck."
      --Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by GrndPnd0311 View Post
        Not that I necessarily agree with it but:
        Section 2.11 of Executive Order 12333 states:
        No person employed by or acting on behalf of the United States Government shall engage in, or conspire to engage in, assassination.

Thats the only thing I can see that is going to cause a little debate....
        Isn't the President free to make exceptions to Executive Orders, since he issues them? And is the military's killing the enemy in wartime "assassination"?
        Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

First off, no where in the article did it say we're setting out to simply kill OUR ENEMY, it simply states that we have a better way of targeting them and getting them...

We just so happened to have had some success in finding these people, and they happened to fight back, so we had to defend ourselves and kill them...

tis all....
          “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post

"The enemy has a heads up because they've been getting wiped out and a lot of them have been killed," he said. "It's not news to them."

Gee, other writers have been detailing the successes of special ops folks since the start of the conflict with radical Islamists. Nice that Mr. Woodward is just catching up.

Every time I write out my Federal return, I wish I could check a box that said that my portion only goes to pay the salaries of instructors at Coronado Island, it's eastern counterpart or Ft. Benning, GA, Ft. Yuma, AZ, and other sites where spec ops warriors train.

As said best by Orwell, "People slumber peacefully in their beds only because rough men stand ready to do dark deeds on their behalf."
            Last edited by Kieth M.; 09-09-2008, 04:52 PM.
            "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Do these guys ever look at what they say?

Finding Terrorists is not that hard. The tricky part is managing to keep the ones you want to talk to alive, while recycling the unneeded.

M-11
              “All men dream...... But not equally..
              Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
              but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
              for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

I've always thought there's more to the Iraq War than meets the eye, this is another thing that reassures it. Such as the real reason for the invasion of Iraq like there might be more to the story where Saddam could've been doing more than meets the eye and the U.S. found out about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor13 View Post
                  I've always thought there's more to the Iraq War than meets the eye, this is another thing that reassures it. Such as the real reason for the invasion of Iraq like there might be more to the story where Saddam could've been doing more than meets the eye and the U.S. found out about it.
                  Saddam had Transformers?
                  Last edited by JTShooter; 09-09-2008, 07:30 PM.

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Yeah, All his trucks and tanks transformed into bonfires and roadblocks.

M-11
                    “All men dream...... But not equally..
                    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Optimus Hussein:

http://img166.imageshack.us/my.php?i...mtimousmi7.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by M-11 View Post
                        Yeah, All his trucks and tanks transformed into bonfires and roadblocks.

M-11
                        +1

Assassination as defined by this executive order applies to political targets, and I think it's a safe assumption to say that knocking off commanding figures of your enemy in a war environment does not fall into the realm of political assassination.

Comment

Thing is the EO is vague and, according to Geneva Convention, it could be argued, that they are not enemy combatants as they do not wear uniforms, etc...etc...

Just playing Devils advocate here...
                          "Against the machinations of your enemies you can take defense, but against the stupidity of fools, the very gods themselves fight in vain" ~ Johann C.F. Von Schiller

"Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind. With such persons, gullibility, which they call faith, takes the helm from the hand of reason, and the mind becomes a wreck."
                          --Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Applying civilized rule of law to a war zone is, I would wager, a wasted gesture.

Comment

Originally posted by nr5667 View Post
                              Applying civilized rule of law to a war zone is, I would wager, a wasted gesture.
                              Especially when you can't get all the players to play by the same rules.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5561 users online. 342 members and 5219 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X