X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RCKoutWurGLKout View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DAL View Post
    Chicago has a population of about 3 million, which is more than 20 times the number of American soldiers in Iraq.

What is your point?
    The point is you're comparing civilian deaths in one place to military deaths in another. A more effective comparison might be to compare police deaths in Chicago to Military deaths in Iraq. Or compare civilian deaths in Chicago to civilian deaths in Iraq. And while its difficult to get an accurate official count, this article (http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/...ain/index.html) places the number of civilian deaths at about ten times that per month during the summer.

If they lost 65 police officers during the summer in Chicago, I don't think many people would hesitate to describe the situation as anarchy.
    Last edited by Martel; 09-09-2008, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
      Chicago has a population of about 3 million, which is more than 20 times the number of American soldiers in Iraq.
      That point is not at all relevant, Chicago is not a war zone occupied by foreign countries and terrorists hiding around every corner trying to kill the enemy (arguable but they are not actively sending AK47 rounds downrange). I would expect many deaths in Iraq, but zero in Chicago. It should never be accepted that civilians would be killing each other in the streets.

Originally posted by Martel View Post
      The point is you're comparing civilian deaths in one place to military deaths in another. A more effective comparison might be to compare police deaths in Chicago to Military deaths in Iraq. Or compare civilian deaths in Chicago to civilian deaths in Iraq. And while its difficult to get an accurate official count, this article (http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/...ain/index.html) places the number of civilian deaths at about ten times that per month during the summer.

If they lost 65 police officers during the summer in Chicago, I don't think many people would hesitate to describe the situation as anarchy.
      Killing is killing, the point of the article was that in a city with a gun ban, a lot of people are still being killed. In fact, a comparable amount to how many die in the same time frame as in a war.

Comment

Originally posted by RCKoutWurGLKout View Post
        What is your point?
        My point is simply that the fact that more Americans are killed in Chicago than in Iraq does not imply that Chicago is more dangerous.

More Americans are killed in the United States than in Chicago. Does that mean that the average American is more likely to be killed than the average Chicagoan? Obviously not.
        Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Chicago is just like Detroit: a diverse bastion of liberal hope and love with free salaries, housing, food, healthcare and just more and more federal, state, and local programs. Its about change man, change and hope, and government oversight and control of ALL businesses, and free handouts. There can't POSSIBLY be a crime problem in these cities with the liberal democrat programs that have been in place for decades. Please! Tell me it isnt true!

Comment

Growing up right outside of Chicago I would have to say I never felt worried that I was going to be a victim. With that said. The people getting shot! The majority are gang bangers. So, every major city has gang problems and Chicago just gets the headlines because, the media loves to put a spin on the poor citizens in the poor communities. It is horrible that little children and innocent people get shot in a drive by or any other gang related activity.

However, it’s not because Chicago has a HAND Gun ban. It's not because, the government body runs the city with patronage and bribes. It's not because, many of the political figures that run the city have liberal beliefs. It's not because the ACLU, NAACP, and any other acronym that you can think of has political power in the city.

The answer is that the PEOPLE that are causing the problems have a lifestyle that is against the moral guidelines the majority of people live by. The business of "gangs" out grosses many legitimate business ventures. Society in some parts has embraced the "gangster" lifestyle through entertainment means. You see evidence of the "gangster" lifestyle everyday when you go out. Even kids living far away from the city walk around suburbs with gang colors on because they have Known Idea what they are doing. They just want to live like the transformed bangers that the see on MTV. I know some entertainers never had gang experience but, the images can create the references to it. Gang violence will be around for many years to come.

No one has ever stopped the violence so to speak, and honestly I really don't think anyone can. Not when a 17 year old can make a million dollars tax free by selling dope on a street corner with no education. A million tax free dollars or working at McDonalds for 8 bucks an hour? What would your choose be if you never given the moral and ethical guidelines that the majority of people get from their parents. The gang for most of these people is their families and unfortunately we will continue to hear a crying mother deny that her baby was in a gang, while her son is laying in the street dead.
            Last edited by livestrong6; 09-10-2008, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
              Hey, you are missing a BIG POINT here. Iraq is a "war zone." Chicago is not (supposed to be).
              Space for rent .........

Comment

Originally posted by LeanG View Post
                umm....with 20x more people, you would think the total number of people killed in Chicago would be greater.

However, the percentage of citizens killed in Chicago as compared to the total Chicago population is far less than the percentage of soldiers killed in Iraq.

This is what we call statistics skewing reality. But, of course you knew that. Right?
                This is a distortion of the issue - see above.
                Space for rent .........

Comment

Originally posted by scratched13 View Post
                  This is a distortion of the issue - see above.
                  I'll remember that when you're CRYING about some liberal bias in the news.

It's too obvious that Chicago has its share of problems, but to compare it in anyway to Iraq is........dare I say.......ridiculous.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

I'll remember that when you're CRYING about some liberal bias in the news.

It's too obvious that Chicago has its share of problems, but to compare it in anyway to Iraq is........dare I say.......ridiculous.
                    Whatever. In some ways Iraq is much better. I bet there is more HOPE in Iraq that things will get better. Chicago? Not with libs in charge.
                    Space for rent .........

Comment

Whatever. In some ways Iraq is much better. I bet there is more HOPE in Iraq that things will get better. Chicago? Not with libs in charge.
                      Are you saying in other ways Iraq is worse off than before?

Are you saying Iraq, in some ways is better than Chicago?

Are you saying if a conservative was in charge, Chicago would be better?

What are you saying?

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

Comment

Are you saying in other ways Iraq is worse off than before?

Are you saying Iraq, in some ways is better than Chicago?

Are you saying if a conservative was in charge, Chicago would be better?

What are you saying?
                        In some ways, Iraq is much better than Chicago. Yes, if conservatism was more midspread in that part of the states, it would be better.

Help you?
                        Space for rent .........

Comment

How......is Iraq better than Chicago? Educate me.

Comment

That's really the only thing I'm going to agree with here.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3272 users online. 172 members and 3100 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X