• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McCain Supporters Rescued Discarded American Flags

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/09...merican-flags/

http://freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/2072048/posts

McCain Camp ‘Rescues’ Flags From Obama Rally

Democrats are not caring for their Stars and Stripes. At least that’s the message out of John McCain’s campaign.

McCain supporters, claiming they rescued 12,000 miniature American flags from the site of Barack Obama’s nomination acceptance speech last Thursday, redistributed the orphan flags to audience members ahead of a McCain rally in Colorado Springs on Saturday.

The move was an overt swipe at Obama from a campaign whose motto has been “country first.” But Democratic convention organizers claimed the flags were not going to be discarded — but instead were snatched from the site of Obama’s historic address to carry out a “cheap political stunt.”

McCain supporters said the flags were discovered by a vendor at Denver’s Invesco Field after the conclusion of the Democratic National Convention. The vendor supposedly found trash bags full of flags in and near garbage bins, and turned them over to the McCain campaign.

Boy Scouts were sorting through 84 bags of flags in Colorado on Saturday, before a McCain supporter had veterans distribute them to the audience.

“We want to find good homes for these flags,” radio host Dan Caplis said at the rally, adding that whatever flags remained would be placed at memorials throughout Colorado.

Audience members, who booed when Caplis announced that the flags were left in Denver, waved the flags and chanted “U.S.A” before McCain arrived at the rally with his running mate, Sarah Palin.

Damon Jones, spokesman for the Democratic National Convention Committee, released a statement saying McCain should applaud the fact that thousands of American flags were “proudly waved” at their convention.

“But instead his supporters wrongfully took leftover bundles of our flags from the stadium to play out a cheap political stunt calling into question our patriotism,” he said.

Obama has faced attacks on his patriotism since the beginning of the Democratic primary race and has set up a Web site specifically designed to fight such charges.

The McCain campaign has denied questioning Obama’s patriotism, and even released a statement Friday calling Obama’s most recent comments on the matter “hysterical.”

Obama said Friday that Republicans are trying to make the election a personality contest, and that “what they’re really saying is ‘we’re going to try to scare people about Barack. So we’re going to say that you know, ‘Maybe he’s got Muslim connections or we’re going to say that, you know, he hangs out with radicals or he’s not patriotic.’”

U.S. Code says the proper method for disposing of an American flag is actually burning, provided it is “no longer a fitting emblem for display.”

The United States Flag Store, which sells full-sized and miniature flags, says on its Web site that flags can also be put in the trash, when they are “worn, damaged or tattered beyond repair.”
    'Evil always wins when Good does nothing'-Anonymous

The flags should have been properly disposed of. And yes, now it's being turned into a cheap political stunt.
    ...hunter of the shadows is rising...

Comment

36 USC (Flag Code)

Sec. 8. - Respect for flag

No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.

(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

(b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.

(c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.

(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.

(e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.

(f) The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.

(g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.

(h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.

(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

(k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.
      “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Does this honestly suprize anyone here? That libs would desecrate our flag - even in its miniature form?

Yes - it was taken advantage of. And yes - it should have been. Any tool or method made available to show what conservatives already know - that many (not all) on the left have little true regard for the traditions of patriotism - should be exploited and given to the light of day.
        The All New
        BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
        Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
        - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

And I am sure that everyone in attendance at the Republican Convention either encased their mini colors or burned them....

Just when I thought this forum could go no lower I, unfortunately, have been proven wrong.
          "Against the machinations of your enemies you can take defense, but against the stupidity of fools, the very gods themselves fight in vain" ~ Johann C.F. Von Schiller

"Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind. With such persons, gullibility, which they call faith, takes the helm from the hand of reason, and the mind becomes a wreck."
          --Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Who cares...

Comment

Originally posted by GrndPnd0311 View Post
              And I am sure that everyone in attendance at the Republican Convention either encased their mini colors or burned them....

Just when I thought this forum could go no lower I, unfortunately, have been proven wrong.
              I'm sorta with you on this. I don't think they honestly meant to dispose of the flags in a disrespectful way.

Comment

Originally posted by LAschoolCop View Post
                Who cares...
                Precisely my point. Some do. I do.
                The All New
                Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor13 View Post
                  I'm sorta with you on this. I don't think they honestly meant to dispose of the flags in a disrespectful way.
                  It wasn't the intent - it was the dismissive and hypocrital nature of it.

I'm sure there were groups who would have loved to get those flags to distribute - but no one wanted to bother.

So much for the liberals looking out for the folks.
                  The All New
                  - M1Garand

Comment

Got a little chuckle out of that, actually. Good for them.
                    "Friendly Fire, isn't"

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
                      Precisely my point. Some do. I do.
                      The flag is just a piece of cloth...I love this country not symbols!

Comment

I see where he's coming from, if it's got the stripes of the U.S. Flag, then it should be disposed of properly. I just think there was an error and no one thought this part through.

Comment

They looked great being waved around when McCain visited Colorado Springs. A friend sent a few pics............
                          The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Ok.... I drink Rockstar energy drinks because I wake up early and go to bed late due to work and studies. I drink it on my way to work, crush it, and dispose of it. Now, on this can is a small American flag near the ingredients. So am I un-American for throwing it away?

Or say I own a pair of American flag boxers. (which could be considered defacing the flag in all reality) After I have gotten all the use out of them I can get must I burn them in accordance with the flag code? (Although, I MAY want to burn them....ya know?...)

All I am saying is this is a little absurd. I could understand the gripe if at the DNC there were flag defacings occuring like burnings, stompings, deficating on, and the such. These were mini -- toy--- flags that I am sure your children have played with and, more than likely, dropped. And I doubt you immediately put the flame to it and stood at attention while humming the national anthem.

I am just as patriotic as the next, and probably more so than some. But this is nothing more than a cheap political ploy/jab.
                            "Against the machinations of your enemies you can take defense, but against the stupidity of fools, the very gods themselves fight in vain" ~ Johann C.F. Von Schiller

"Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind. With such persons, gullibility, which they call faith, takes the helm from the hand of reason, and the mind becomes a wreck."
                            --Thomas Jefferson

Comment

From the Flag Code:

"The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing."

“The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3761 users online. 141 members and 3620 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X