• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sarah Palin: Iraq war, oil pipeline are the will of God

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080904/...palin_iraq_war

Palin: Iraq war 'a task that is from God'

By GENE JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer Wed Sep 3, 10:48 PM ET

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin told ministry students at her former church that the United States sent troops to fight in the Iraq war on a "task that is from God."
    ADVERTISEMENT

In an address last June, the Republican vice presidential candidate also urged ministry students to pray for a plan to build a $30 billion natural gas pipeline in the state, calling it "God's will."

Palin asked the students to pray for the troops in Iraq, and noted that her eldest son, Track, was expected to be deployed there.

"Our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God," she said. "That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for, that there is a plan and that plan is God's plan."

A video of the speech was posted at the Wasilla Assembly of God's Web site before finding its way on to other sites on the Internet.

Palin told graduating students of the church's School of Ministry, "What I need to do is strike a deal with you guys." As they preached the love of Jesus throughout Alaska, she said, she'd work to implement God's will from the governor's office, including creating jobs by building a pipeline to bring North Slope natural gas to North American markets.

"God's will has to be done in unifying people and companies to get that gas line built, so pray for that," she said.

"I can do my job there in developing our natural resources and doing things like getting the roads paved and making sure our troopers have their cop cars and their uniforms and their guns, and making sure our public schools are funded," she added. "But really all of that stuff doesn't do any good if the people of Alaska's heart isn't right with God."

Palin attended the evangelical church from the time she was a teenager until 2002, the church said in a statement posted on its Web site. She has continued to attend special conferences and meetings there. Religious conservatives have welcomed her selection as John McCain's running mate.

The Assemblies of God, which claims nearly 3 million members, is one of the biggest Pentecostal groups in the U.S. Unlike most other Christians — including most evangelicals — Pentecostals believe in "baptism in the Holy Spirit." That can manifest itself through speaking in tongues, modern-day prophesy and faith healing. The Assemblies of God teaches that spirit baptism must be accompanied by speaking in tongues. Still, some churchgoers never have the experience.

Rob Boston, a spokesman for Americans United for Separation of Church and State, lamented Palin's comments.

"I miss the days when pastors delivered sermons and politicians delivered political speeches," he said. "The United States is increasingly diverse religiously. The job of a president is to unify all those different people and bring them together around policy goals, not to act as a kind of national pastor and bring people to God."

The section of the church's Web site where videos of past sermons were posted was shut down Wednesday, and a message was posted saying that the site "was never intended to handle the traffic it has received in the last few days."

Originally posted by BigPat View Post

Palin: Iraq war 'a task that is from God'

By GENE JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer Wed Sep 3, 10:48 PM ET

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin told ministry students at her former church that the United States sent troops to fight in the Iraq war on a "task that is from God."
    ADVERTISEMENT

In an address last June, the Republican vice presidential candidate also urged ministry students to pray for a plan to build a $30 billion natural gas pipeline in the state, calling it "God's will."

Palin asked the students to pray for the troops in Iraq, and noted that her eldest son, Track, was expected to be deployed there.

"Our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God," she said. "That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for, that there is a plan and that plan is God's plan."

A video of the speech was posted at the Wasilla Assembly of God's Web site before finding its way on to other sites on the Internet.

Palin told graduating students of the church's School of Ministry, "What I need to do is strike a deal with you guys." As they preached the love of Jesus throughout Alaska, she said, she'd work to implement God's will from the governor's office, including creating jobs by building a pipeline to bring North Slope natural gas to North American markets.

"God's will has to be done in unifying people and companies to get that gas line built, so pray for that," she said.

"I can do my job there in developing our natural resources and doing things like getting the roads paved and making sure our troopers have their cop cars and their uniforms and their guns, and making sure our public schools are funded," she added. "But really all of that stuff doesn't do any good if the people of Alaska's heart isn't right with God."

Palin attended the evangelical church from the time she was a teenager until 2002, the church said in a statement posted on its Web site. She has continued to attend special conferences and meetings there. Religious conservatives have welcomed her selection as John McCain's running mate.

The Assemblies of God, which claims nearly 3 million members, is one of the biggest Pentecostal groups in the U.S. Unlike most other Christians — including most evangelicals — Pentecostals believe in "baptism in the Holy Spirit." That can manifest itself through speaking in tongues, modern-day prophesy and faith healing. The Assemblies of God teaches that spirit baptism must be accompanied by speaking in tongues. Still, some churchgoers never have the experience.

Rob Boston, a spokesman for Americans United for Separation of Church and State, lamented Palin's comments.

"I miss the days when pastors delivered sermons and politicians delivered political speeches," he said. "The United States is increasingly diverse religiously. The job of a president is to unify all those different people and bring them together around policy goals, not to act as a kind of national pastor and bring people to God."

The section of the church's Web site where videos of past sermons were posted was shut down Wednesday, and a message was posted saying that the site "was never intended to handle the traffic it has received in the last few days."

God's will must be sending her son to Iraq, so it must be God's will to have Palin raise funds to build a pipeline. Ya think?

I don't get it. I just don't get it. The stupidity of the religious ones.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H-btXPfhGs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q9MM...eature=related

Palin is a religious nutjob and the prospect of her ever becoming President is absolutely scary. Would she lead our nation into a war just to satisfy her and her church's kooky ideas about endtimes prophecies?

Comment

That is all biblical and has scripture to support it. However, it is not however, what solidifies a relationship between a person and God.

Separation of church and state was not meant to be the separation between God and country, or the morals and laws that were founded upon biblical principles. The separation was supposed to prevent any religious group from demonizing all other religions through use of the government. I don't see from what she said how her words would make her seem intolerant. Not to mention, the majority of this country's population consider themselves to be affiliated with a Judeo-Christian background. If the majority doesn't have a problem admitting to be represented by it, then why complain? So long as the majority is not forcing people to try and convert.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H-btXPfhGs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q9MM...eature=related

Palin is a religious nutjob and the prospect of her ever becoming President is absolutely scary. Would she lead our nation into a war just to satisfy her and her church's kooky ideas about endtimes prophecies?
          The rapture, the end-times, as you put it, will happen whether she "forces" the issue or not. Everyone on earth plays apart of this world and its fate. If they didn't, they would not be here.

Comment

Originally posted by RCKoutWurGLKout View Post
            The rapture, the end-times, as you put it, will happen whether she "forces" the issue or not. Everyone on earth plays apart of this world and its fate. If they didn't, they would not be here.
            Yep, that's what some folks have been incorrectly predicting for thousands of years. They have yet to be correct in their predictions though.

It is scary to mee to see somebody that is apparently willing to base policy decisions upon a wacky religious worldview.

Comment

Yep, that's what some folks have been incorrectly predicting for thousands of years. They have yet to be correct in their predictions though.

It is scary to mee to see somebody that is apparently willing to base policy decisions upon a wacky religious worldview.
              Okay, just to let you know, I'm going to put this in simple terms to you. Hopefully you'll understand a point I'm trying to make, that might help you.

When you call out/debate/challenge, whatever you may call it, someone to their religious views in this case him being a Christian and you not understanding it. It's more like... well.. not seeing eye to eye, just like per se, one cop from the country, one cop from the big city, two totally different backgrounds, totally different views (perhaps) and different expediences they
              both have learned from. Whether or not you actually try and think about it like a religious person, then think about yourself and your views, (if your views and opinions are completely different) then think about what your saying. Religion is a very important part of a lot of peoples lives, including tony.o it seems. I've actually been doing this with myself a lot lately, seeing it in another way, and then thinking about it mine, it sometimes helps in forming opinions and such.

Comment

Originally posted by RCKoutWurGLKout View Post

Separation of church and state was not meant to be the separation between God and country, or the morals and laws that were founded upon biblical principles.
                The laws of this country were absolutely NOT founded upon Biblical principles. I have discussed this several times in other threads. The U.S. Constitution in fact explicitly contradicts many Biblical principles.

The separation was supposed to prevent any religious group from demonizing all other religions through use of the government. I don't see from what she said how her words would make her seem intolerant.
                To me these specific words in the article are not really intolerant, rather they make me question her judgment and ability to make rational executive decisions. She has made other questionable statements in regards to religious tolerance, including advocacyof teaching creationism in schools. She also was associated with the "Alaska Independence Party" who want Alaska to secede from teh U.S. and establish a Christian theocracy.

Not to mention, the majority of this country's population consider themselves to be affiliated with a Judeo-Christian background. If the majority doesn't have a problem admitting to be represented by it, then why complain? So long as the majority is not forcing people to try and convert.
                The first amendment applies the same way regardless of the opinion of the majority.

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor13 View Post
                  Okay, just to let you know, I'm going to put this in simple terms to you. Hopefully you'll understand a point I'm trying to make, that might help you.

When you call out/debate/challenge, whatever you may call it, someone to their religious views in this case him being a Christian and you not understanding it. It's more like... well.. not seeing eye to eye, just like per se, one cop from the country, one cop from the big city, two totally different backgrounds, totally different views (perhaps) and different expediences they
                  both have learned from. Whether or not you actually try and think about it like a religious person, then think about yourself and your views, (if your views and opinions are completely different) then think about what your saying. Religion is a very important part of a lot of peoples lives, including tony.o it seems. I've actually been doing this with myself a lot lately, seeing it in another way, and then thinking about it mine, it sometimes helps in forming opinions and such.
                  Most Christians (the vast majority of them, in fact) are able to maintain their faith without making completely irrational statements like claiming the Iraq war and an Oil Pipeline are teh will of God. Sarah Palin's views are so extreme that they lead one to question her ability to make sound decisions, especially in foreign policy matters.

Religion is a personal thing, but it becomes fair game when somebody is running for political office and they talk about making policy decisions based upon their extreme religious views or when they want to restrict the rights of those who do not believe the same as they do.

BTW, I consider Obama's past church associations to be fair game for criticism as well. To me the difference in the situation is that Obama has not endorsed the kooky ideas of his former pastor. Palin has.

Comment

Most Christians (the vast majority of them, in fact) are able to maintain their faith without making completely irrational statements like claiming the Iraq war and an Oil Pipeline are teh will of God. Sarah Palin's views are so extreme that they lead one to question her ability to make sound decisions, especially in foreign policy matters.

Religion is a personal thing, but it becomes fair game when somebody is running for political office and they talk about making policy decisions based upon their extreme religious views or when they want to restrict the rights of those who do not believe the same as they do.

BTW, I consider Obama's past church associations to be fair game for criticism as well. To me the difference in the situation is that Obama has not endorsed the kooky ideas of his former pastor. Palin has.
                    I will agree with you in that first paragraph with pretty much everything.

I will give you that too since we (republicans/conservatives) have questioned Obama's past with being a muslim.

I can't say that because Obama has thrown his pastor under the bus, doesn't mean he'll back up and call an ambulance. That's how I see it with him, I see that as pandering.. I haven't seen Palin but I have gotten a feel for what she stands for and what just would be discussed at her church.

Comment

'...BTW, I consider Obama's past church associations to be fair game for criticism as well. To me the difference in the situation is that Obama has not endorsed the kooky ideas of his former pastor. Palin has.
                      I think that says it all; it takes 'the wind out of the sails'.

Comment

"[some unknown sentence, ending with (the clause?)]that our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God." .Without the beginning of that sentence, I will have to interpret it by the rest of the quote, "That's what we have to pray for: that there is a plan, and that that plan is from God..."

Is there anything wrong with one person asking other people, especially likeminded people, to ask God to guide us, as a nation, in our actions, and to guide our leaders in their decisions? .That doesn't sound like a nut to me.

That's a rather more clipped clip. .I'll go back to the two quotes placed together in the article.

OK, so whatever we do, it won't be much good if God doesn't bless it, or if we try to do these things relying on ourselves, or to do them our own way.

That is basic Biblical belief, both Christian and Jewish belief. Psalm 127 states:
                        Except the LORD build the house,
                        they labour in vain that build it:
                        except the LORD keep the city,
                        the watchman waketh but in vain.

Christianity's end times prophecies begin with an un-anounced, and un-effected by believers, exodus of all belivers from Earth, followed by events that are therefore obviously not instigated by the Church, or it's members. .So no worries about an Ahmadinejad-type viewpoint, at least with doctrinally serious Christians, OK?

lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.

Comment

The U.S. Constitution in fact explicitly contradicts many Biblical principles.
                          Please, provide me examples. I'll grant you that I am probably not as well versed at our Constitution, but on the same note, you are probably equally not as well learned with the Bible.

She has made other questionable statements in regards to religious tolerance, including advocacyof teaching creationism in schools.
                          Theory of Evolution...Not proven yet...wonder why it's still a theory I'm always surprised that people are willing to accept the notion that the entire universe just happened... and are just as quick to dismiss the possibility, nay, dare I say, truth, of God?

The first amendment applies the same way regardless of the opinion of the majority.
                          No one is taking away anyone's first amendment rights if the people in government functions say "God Bless America", "Pray for America", or "God help us in our time of need". If you happen to fall in the minority that don't consider themselves to have a relationship with God, then simply ignore those statements, and continue on with your life. Just like I don't take offense that you may not agree with me, or believe me. But, I'm sure we both agree that we will fight to the end to defend each of our viewpoints, b/c we both see ourselves as right.

So the majority agrees that it's appalling to sleep with a child under the age of fourteen, but a select few feel it's well within their rights, what do we do then? The argument could easily be made that children at the age of twelve and sometimes younger are already sleeping with others their own age. Why not let these same children sleep with anyone they choose, especially the pedophiles whose "rights" we fight so dearly to protect...

Comment

completely irrational statements like claiming the Iraq war and an Oil Pipeline are teh will of God.

Religion is a personal thing, their extreme religious views or when they want to restrict the rights of those who do not believe the same as they do.

I didn't hear her say it was the will of God. What I heard was, I hope we are doing God's work and he will bless it.

She doesn't have extreme religious views, you just disagree with them. As far as restricting rights, name one. Abortion is not a right, it was a ruling by a court. Makes it legal but not a "right".

True Obama does not endorse his pastor, he just attended his church for 20+ years and when his views became public then and only then did he run away from him. Up to that point the man was listed as a spiritual advisor by the campaign.
                            A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

Comment

The cool thing about clauses is that moving them around can more easily clarify than change the meaning of a sentence. .What if Gov. Palin had said, "In unifying people and companies to get that gas line built, God's will has to be done; so pray for that." .Does that seem more to change the meaning of her request, or the possible interpretations?

Last edited by pvtbuddie; 09-05-2008, 03:40 PM.
                              lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3869 users online. 254 members and 3615 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X