300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palin's Speech To Nowhere

Since I consider both political party's inept to bring America back to it's original mission as created by our Founding Fathers, allow me to post this opinion piece for the sake of impartiality. You decide whether Will Bunch's opinion of her speech at the GOP Convention is a 'Grand Slam', or a 'foul ball'.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Palin's Speech to Nowhere
    Thursday 04 September 2008
    by: Will Bunch, The Philadelphia Daily News

Sarah Palin's speech, though engaging, was "completely empty," according to Will Bunch. (Photo: Reuters)

Sarah Palin delivered a great speech tonight -- for her party, for John McCain, for herself, for what she set out to accomplish. This was America's first real glimpse at the Alaska governor, and what we saw was a boffo politician who speaks in a plaintive prairie voice that channels America's Heartland like a chilling breeze rippling a field of wheat, who knows how to tell a joke, how to bring down the house and bring a tear to a few eyes. She is proud of her family, as she should be, and there is much to admire in her own "personal journey of discovery" (don't we all have these, by the way?) including her efforts to raise her son Trig. It is indeed nice to think that there would be an advocate for such children inside the corridors of the White House, although I'd surely like to hear what -- if anything -- she's done for special needs kids as governor of Alaska.

But...it was a great speech -- written for someone else, a male in fact, days before the Palin selection was even a gleam in John McCain's eye, but a great speech nonetheless. The pundits are fawning over it as I write this -- Tom Brokaw said she could not have been "more winning and more engaging" -- and in a world that is dominated by horse race journalism I can understand why, because I agree that Palin's one-of-a-kind story has given her long shot running mate a decent chance now of pulling this one out at the finish line.

It's a good metaphor, a horse race, because in the end it finishes right near where it started -- just as it will be for America if John McCain and Sarah Palin are sworn in on Jan. 20, 2009. Yes, it was a great speech politically, and a great night for her family, but an empty speech for America -- and for America's families. It was defined by its lowest moment, Palin's shameless lie about "the Bridge to Nowhere."

This was a Speech to Nowhere.

It was a Speech to Nowhere when Palin said that "I told the Congress 'Thanks but no thanks' on that Bridge to Nowhere," because that was a lie, and the worst kind of lie in American politics, a blatant falsehood that showed utter contempt for the American people that Palin pledged to serve, assuming we are too stupid to look up or know that truth, that she pushed for those funds in Congress and while she got great political mileage out of announcing that she was killing the project, she still has not returned the funds to American people.

It was a Speech to Nowhere because Palin also boasted seconds before her lie of fighting against wasteful earmarks in Congress, even though she pushed for and accepted $27 million of such grants when she was mayor of Wasilla.

It was a Speech to Nowhere because Palin said that "we've got lots" of oil and gas this country, and while one supposes that all depends upon what you definition of the words "lots" is, the production of oil in the United States has been irrevocably on the decline since 1970, and with her words she showed this nation that she and John McCain will perpetrate the dangerous myths that began with Ronald Reagan at his acceptance speech in 1980, that sunny optimism is the solution to all our energy woes, and not a posture that put energy research on a war footing, or requires moral leadership on conservation, mass transit, or any other common sense answers whatsoever.

It was a Speech to Nowhere because Palin boasted that "I stood up to the special interests, and the lobbyists, and the Big Oil companies," and the audience cheered -- after eight brutal years of the same crowd's cheering two oilmen in the White House who fiddled while $4-a-gallon gas burned and while American men and women died in a needless war fought on top of an oilfield, and while lobbyist friends like Jack Abramoff and Ralph Reed got rich at the same time.

It was a Speech to Nowhere because Palin had the nerve to talk at length about John McCain's "torturous interrogations" in the very same speech when she all but condoned the continuation of similar, abhorrent practices that have been directed for eight years by our own U.S. leaders, when she stated that Democrats are "worried that someone won't read them [terrorism suspects] their rights."

It was a Speech to Nowhere because Palin belittled "community organizers" -- thousands of Americans who work long hours for little pay in some of the toughest neighborhoods, trying to assist the American Dream that even the poorest among us can pull themselves out of the muck with a helping hand. Palin and other GOP speakers have turned a noble job into a dirty word tonight -- shame on you! Listen to what CNN's Roland Martin said after Palin's speech was over.

My two parents are sitting home in Houston, Texas and they are both community organizers and the GOP and Sarah Palin might have well have said "being community organizers doesn't matter" to my parents face. I'm disgusted. Community organizers keep people in their homes, keep their lights on, keep food in the fridge.

It was a Speech to Nowhere because it made no mention of the men that Sarah Palin and John McCain are running to replace -- their names are Dick Cheney and George W. Bush, in case you've forgotten this week -- and no acknowledgment that as many 80 percent of Americans believe this country is on the wrong track, or that you can't solve a nation's problems when you deny they exist.

It was a Speech to Nowhere because...well, I urge everyone to read the text, without Palin's sharp delivery or her adoring fans in the crowd and in the press box, and tell me where there is any kind of policy at all -- except for the short boilerplate passage on energy -- or any mention of the issues that concern everyday Americans, including the No. 1 issue of the economy. Show me the part where this "grand slam" of speech touches on how citizens can afford health care or sending their kids to college.

But more than anything else, it was a Speech to Nowhere because for all the acclaim, the great bulk of it was devoted to one thing, and that is the one thing that millions of Americans are talking about in 2008 when we talk about "change" -- to the ugliest kind of "pit bull" politics, to use Palin's words, that tear down the other side with cheap ad hominem attacks, surrounded by a cloud of half-truths (uh, those "Greek columns"...did you actually even watch Obama's speech? Because there weren't any) and ridiculous innuendo about "parting the waters" which means nothing but fires up a big hockey rink full of Dittoheads. These kind of vicious attacks -- without having the grace to acknowledge that, despite some real differences on issues with Obama, that he has already accomplished something impressive that says something positive about America and the progress we've made -- were utterly lacking in class. And this is what Tom Brokaw considers "winning" -- have we really sunk that low as a nation?. The people of America want and deserve a real debate, now trash talk from the basketball point guard who was once called "Sarah Barracuda."

I hope America wakes up tomorrow and realizes that Sarah Palin's words were rousing -- and completely empty, that they offered no road map (let alone bridge) for America other than more of the bogus partisan name-calling that has gotten us into the mess that we're in now.

Actually, let me rephrase that.

I hope America wakes up tomorrow.

http://www.truthout.org/article/palins-speech-nowhere

I fail to see how this is a depiction of your "impartiality"? Impartial to me would mean you also have an equally derogatory piece on Obama or Biden...

Comment

Originally posted by RCKoutWurGLKout View Post
      I fail to see how this is a depiction of your "impartiality"? Impartial to me would mean you also have an equally derogatory piece on Obama or Biden...
      I guess you're too new here to have read all my posts. I'm neither a Democrat nor a Republican. I don't believe either party is about to save America from the woes that will befall us come October/November, and into 2010. I favor the Libertarian/Constitutionalist platform. Obama and Biden are their own derogatory pieces of work. If you need to read an article to comfirm that opinion of mine, than by all means search it out on the net.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post
        If you need to read an article to comfirm that opinion of mine, than by all means search it out on the net.
        Unless you are the author of said article, it still doesn't show your impartiality. You posted with just the one article bashing Palin. To be impartial I suspect you would have something that would be equally as flattering for Obama or Biden. It's not my place to make you look impartial by searching for Obama/Biden bashing articles, and then to make the assumption you agree (or disagree) with them.

Comment

:
          Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
          If you need to read an article to comfirm that opinion of mine, than by all means search it out on the net.
          Originally posted by RCKoutWurGLKout View Post
          Unless you are the author of said article, it still doesn't show your impartiality. You posted with just the one article bashing Palin. To be impartial I suspect you would have something that would be equally as flattering for Obama or Biden. It's not my place to make you look impartial by searching for Obama/Biden bashing articles, and then to make the assumption you agree (or disagree) with them.
          [ bold highlite mine ]

Good point.

Comment

Here's another view from a member of the UK press attending the RNC.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle1647092.ece
            Palin shows us how it's done

From FERGUS SHANAHAN
            in Minnesota

A WEEK ago nobody had ever heard of her.
            Today she is the most talked-about woman in the world. And with good reason.

Sarah Palin's sensational performance at the Republican Party Convention may turn out to be the tipping point of this rollercoaster American election.

Obama fans hoping she would fluff her big night were in for a nasty shock.

This speech has turned the election upside down. It was simply stunning.

Democrats and their Lefty media backers had been sneering that she was a small town nobody, a hick from the Alaskan sticks put into a job way beyond an inexperienced woman.

Believe me, you will not be hearing that again.

Palin turned out to be an electrifying mix of intelligence, passion, energy, optimism and plain speaking.

Full of self-assurance and aggression, she popped Barack's balloon big-time.

From the moment she walked on stage in this cavernous bear pit, bandbox smart in cream jacket, trim black skirt and black heels, she proved that John McCain knew exactly what he was doing when he picked her as running mate.

Hair piled into a slight beehive – more Sarah White House than Amy Winehouse – she blinked and smiled behind her geeky spectacles as the vast crowd went ballistic.

For an unpopular party divided over Iraq and struggling to compete with Obama's Messianic glamour, the choice of Palin looks absolutely inspired.

Main Street America will have loved her performance.

And it was seen by 30million voters – the greatest number ever to watch a candidate for the much-derided VP post.

She is popular with voters for the very reason America's snooty political establishment despises her: She isn't one of the Washington gang.

She's a moose-hunting mum of five with a sledge-load of problems behind her own front door that workaday Americans can relate to.

A child with special needs. A daughter of 17 pregnant. A constant juggle between family and career.

As she said, her family has had its ups and downs like any other.

Last night her first task was to introduce herself and her family to an American public incredulous that the unknown Alaska governor could within weeks be a heartbeat away from being their commander in chief.

Compared to the journeyman career politicians dominating both parties here she seemed fresh, natural, one of us and not one of them.

She spoke to America as one mum to another. She cracked good jokes.

What's the difference between a hockey mum and a pit bull?, she asked.

Answer: One wears lipstick.

What will have scared the enemy camp most is the devastating series of prime-time punches she landed on the jutting Obama jaw.

Showing steel beneath her magnolia jacket, she slaughtered his lack of experience, his vanity, his emptiness beneath the windy waffle.

It was the most powerful demolition of the Democrat hero I have heard in two weeks on the US election trail.

The St Paul audience adored her.

When she duffed up the Lefty media commentators for their sexist sneers, the vast crowd roared approval and pointed in anger at the titans of the American press aloof in their special enclosure.

And quite right too: who ever asked whether Obama could still be a good dad if he became president?

The irony, as Palin pointed out, is that liberal media sniping has only succeeded in uniting Republicans behind her.

The wagons have been drawn up and the Republicans are ready for battle.

The McCain-Palin ticket now looks in exciting shape.

A war hero and a heroic mum. Experience and optimism. A man and a woman.

And when McCain joined the Palin gang – babies and boyfriends and all – on stage after her speech there was a sense of cheeky fun absent from last week's solemn Obama coronation.

How the Democrats must be regretting Hillary isn't running with Obama. Barack's sidekick Joe Biden looks a dull old dog compared with the ball of fire that is Palin.

But most fascinating of all, consider this: If Obama loses, Hillary Clinton will run in 2012. Opposing her is sure to be Sarah Palin.

That would guarantee America its first woman president.

And my fistful of dollars, having seen both in action here, would be on Palin.
            An interesting bit of trivia I picked up on today. Her teleprompter had a glitch during her speech. It kept scrolling during the long periods of applause and shouting so it was hopelessly out of synch, but she didn't miss a beat. She had written text she glanced down at occasionally, but I thought she handled that very well, especially considering the pressure on her for this occasion.

Comment

Originally posted by velobard View Post
              Here's another view from a member of the UK press attending the RNC.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle1647092.ece

An interesting bit of trivia I picked up on today. Her teleprompter had a glitch during her speech. It kept scrolling during the long periods of applause and shouting so it was hopelessly out of synch, but she didn't miss a beat. She had written text she glanced down at occasionally, but I thought she handled that very well, especially considering the pressure on her for this occasion.
              A good post.

Comment

With the energy Palin has brought to the GOP, it would benefit the GOP if McCain stepped aside, immediately, and let Palin take his place for President.

Now, talk about catching Democrats flat-footed.

Comment

From all the talk in the media this week, you'd think the race already is Obama vs Palin.

Comment

Originally posted by velobard View Post
                    From all the talk in the media this week, you'd think the race already is Obama vs Palin.
                    Just playing the odds...

Comment

Since I consider both political party's inept to bring America back to it's original mission as created by our Founding Fathers, allow me to post this opinion piece for the sake of impartiality. You decide whether Will Bunch's opinion of her speech at the GOP Convention is a 'Grand Slam', or a 'foul ball'.
                      Yeah, you have had a bunch of anti-obama posts lately.

Comment

Last edited by toasterlocker; 07-05-2013, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toasterlocker View Post

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
                          Merriam-Webster

Impartial
                          : not partial or biased : treating or affecting all equally

...So, I suppose instead of impartial, I should say he's not being "fair and balanced" as he did not post any articles that also bashed the other campaign. At any rate, his statement, if he only chooses to depict the one side, does not come off as impartial, as it is hardly fair to only portray the negative things being said about one camp rather than the other...

Comment

Originally posted by toasterlocker View Post

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
                            LMAO!

Thanks, I needed that!
                            “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

I guess you're too new here to have read all my posts. I'm neither a Democrat nor a Republican.
                              Don't let him fool ya. He votes "present" A LOT
                              The All New
                              BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                              Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                              - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6763 users online. 343 members and 6420 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X