• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Both parties stances

Found this on BBC:

Issues John McCain
    Republican
    Arizona senator and Vietnam war hero would be oldest man to become president.

Economy

Would cut taxes on middle class families by abolishing the Alternative Minimum tax. Would keep Bush tax cuts, but decrease government spending. Wants to reform social security.

Iraq
    Voted for 2003 invasion and says US forces should remain until Iraq is able to defend itself. Backed Mr Bush's troop escalation. Says withdrawal plans could trigger genocide in the region.

Iran
    Would concentrate on trying to get a league of democracies to escalate economic sanctions against Iran. Refuses to rule out military solution if necessary to prevent a nuclear-armed Iran.

National security
    A former Navy pilot who was a POW in Vietnam, he has been a leading voice in efforts to prevent the CIA resorting to "cruel, inhumane or degrading treatment of prisoners".

Climate change Says climate change is real and devastating. Says US should consider joining with every other nation in the world to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, if China and India join in.

Healthcare
    Has highlighted his record on supporting health care for military veterans. Favours tax incentives to encourage people to get personal health insurance.

Illegal immigration
    Co-sponsor of bill which offered an amnesty to illegal immigrants as well as tougher border controls. Says undocumented workers already in the US should be put on path to citizenship.

Abortion
    Says the landmark 1973 Supreme Court ruling that legalised abortions - Roe v Wade - should be overturned. Would appoint sympathetic new judges and aid state efforts to boost adoption.

Barack Obama
    Democratic
    The Illinois senator says he can "break partisan logjams" and unite the country.

Economy
    Wants to help-middle class families struggling with rising costs and stagnant pay. Wants to reform healthcare and education, and has vowed to renegotiate free trade agreements.

Iraq
    Opposed the war in Iraq from the outset and says there is "no military solution". Backs phased withdrawal of troops, and a UN convention to achieve national reconciliation.

Iran
    Favours "aggressive personal diplomacy". Would meet Iranian leaders without preconditions. He says they would change their behaviour if they were given incentives to do so.

National security
    Wants increased national security funding to be allocated to areas most at risk of attack. He has criticised the Patriot Act, but voted to re-authorise it in 2006.

Climate change
    Wants an 80% cut in US greenhouse gas emissions by 2050. Wants US to lead global effort to combat climate change. Would invest $150bn over 10 years in clean energy.

Healthcare
    Backs universal coverage but would not make insurance compulsory, except for children. Subsidies would be provided to make cover more affordable and insurers would be unable to refuse coverage because of pre-existing conditions.

Illegal immigration
    Wants US-Mexico border better policed and backs stricter penalties for employers who hire undocumented workers. Argues that giving illegal immigrants a path to citizenship is not an amnesty if they pay a fine.

Abortion
    Speaking at a Democratic debate in April 2007, Mr Obama said he trusted women to make their own choices on abortion "in conjunction with their doctors and their families and their clergy".

BBC had it side by side but I couldn't get it to fit on here..
    A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

Here... I'll sum it up for everyone:

John Sydney McCain (not McLane) is right.
    Barack Hussein Obama (not Osama) is wrong.

Next question?
    The All New
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Both have good and bad, its been said before there is no perfect candidate

Comment

I bet if Barack Obama knocked Cindy McCain up, McCain's view on abortion would change pretty quickly.
        "The deepest human defeat suffered by human beings is constituted by the difference between what one was capable of becoming and what one has in fact become."

Comment

Barak Hussien Obama has three muslim names, I wonder why that is? Why does he refuse to salute the American flag or wear a pin of one on his lapel? Why do his closest influences, his long term wife and his long term minister, seem to hate America?

Comment

Originally posted by mjhoyt27 View Post
            I bet if Barack Obama knocked Cindy McCain up, McCain's view on abortion would change pretty quickly.
            That's pretty logical, how long did it take you to think that one out?

Honestly though, I wish McCain would just leave abortion out his platform. Even though it's not going to change, too many people will be distracted by that one issue.

Comment

On the radio yesterday someone came up with a suggestion that would almost guarantee McCain a victory in November....Pick Hillary as his running mate. I thought it was both hilarious and terrifying. Thankfully, we can rest assured it will never happen.

Comment

Originally posted by velobard View Post
                On the radio yesterday someone came up with a suggestion that would almost guarantee McCain a victory in November....Pick Hillary as his running mate. I thought it was both hilarious and terrifying. Thankfully, we can rest assured it will never happen.

I think a decent amount of conversative would reserve their vote then.

Comment

Originally posted by velobard View Post
                  Well.....like one of current jokes goes....."I'm voting Democrat this election....thats right, I'm voting for McCain"
                  The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

It'll be crazy if McCain picks Colin Powell as his VP...
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southflaguy View Post
                      It'll be crazy if McCain picks Colin Powell as his VP...
                      I'm not sure if he would accept or not.....he has said on more than a few occasions that he does not want the job of CIC.....family reasons ect.....
                      The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                        I'm not sure if he would accept or not.....he has said on more than a few occasions that he does not want the job of CIC.....family reasons ect.....
                        Man, that sucks I think he would do a good job...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Powell
                        Last edited by Southflaguy; 08-27-2008, 10:39 AM. Reason: Not could...
                        sigpic

Comment

Hmm... it would certainly pull a jenga block out from under Barrack's racial support. Man, that actually be pretty witty lol.
                          Oh and there is no perfect candidate. Seriously, immigration issues for both of these guys, there's only bad and worse.
                          They will all look up to me and shout, "Save us!", and I will whisper back... "No."

LAW is not JUSTICE

Comment

Originally posted by plainclothes View Post
                            Barak Hussien Obama has three muslim names, I wonder why that is? Why does he refuse to salute the American flag or wear a pin of one on his lapel? Why do his closest influences, his long term wife and his long term minister, seem to hate America?
                            Because he's actually a secret Al Qaida operative in disguise!!!!!!!111eleven

Please come up with a better reason than that. The man can't help what he is named. And if he changed it to something more "American", you'd jump on him for changing it. Honestly, I've said it before, if he had the exact same background, but his name was Bobby Harold O'Reilly, he wouldn't be getting half the flack he is right now.

Comment

Originally posted by tehJet View Post
                              Because he's actually a secret Al Qaida operative in disguise!!!!!!!111eleven

Please come up with a better reason than that. The man can't help what he is named. And if he changed it to something more "American", you'd jump on him for changing it. Honestly, I've said it before, if he had the exact same background, but his name was Bobby Harold O'Reilly, he wouldn't be getting half the flack he is right now.
                              Have to agree with you on this....his father was muslim, and he gave his son a muslim sounding name.
                              A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5485 users online. 316 members and 5169 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X