Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does light rail/public transit aid criminals?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does light rail/public transit aid criminals?

Can't exactly say I'm a fan of the Riverfront Times (those of you around St Louis are probably familiar with the paper), but here's a story that they've nailed right on the head.

Out-of-control shoplifting at the St. Louis Galleria. Violent attacks in the Delmar Loop. Is MetroLink a vehicle for crime?

St. Peters alderman Don Aytes remembers well the fears some of his constituents expressed back in 1998, the year MetroLink supporters tried to bring light rail into suburban St. Charles County.

"I thought for sure it would pass, and then someone on the MetroLink campaign made the decision to advertise that the train would connect Mid Rivers Mall with East St. Louis," Aytes recalls. "That pretty much killed it right there. Soon you had people saying MetroLink riders would come to St. Charles by train and leave by car — stolen car."

Ten years later and a growing number of Saint Louis Galleria and Delmar Loop merchants worry that St. Charles voters may have been right: that maybe MetroLink actually enables criminals, especially teenage lawbreakers.
    This article is 5 pages long, with a bunch of great points all the way through. Here's one that stood out to me, toward the end of the story.
    State law prohibits Metro from fining anyone under seventeen caught riding the train without a ticket.

State law?!?

I have no doubt that the real reason they wrote this article is that the paper's office is at ground zero, right on the Delmar Loop.

We all know that this kind of thinking is counterproductive. How many lower income people now have transportation to jobs because of public transit? Why should economic opportunity be denied a person based solely on where they live? Yes there will be problems, but the benefits far outweigh the negatives.
    What is Perseverance?
    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2373 users online. 140 members and 2233 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X